Author Topic: Turning my P01 into the ultimate carry.  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Kenneth

Turning my P01 into the ultimate carry.
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
I have had my P01 for awhile now and I am wanting to mold it into a better carry choice.

1st I want to change the grips to the thin aluminum grips. The rubber ones are a little fat for me. Do the new grips come with new screws?

2nd I want to change the sights out. I want a set that has the rear sight with a flat base and a tall          blade so you can manipulate the slide off of a belt. If that's not possible then a set like my shadow         would have to work.

3rd I want to work on the trigger. I was thinking the ultra light SD kit from CGW. Then a race hammer as well. Anything else should I look into for the trigger? I want it reliable with all ammunition.

4th I need some mags with flat base pads.

5th can I change out the lanyard loop?

Any advice where I can get these parts for cheap I would appreciate it. Also any tips on installing all if it and what I will need to do so. I carry the P01 in a crossbreed btw.

Offline mkd

Re: Turning my P01 into the ultimate carry.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
Kenneth. the trigger can be done many ways and combinations.  i went with the 13 lb hammer spring,  light trigger return spring,   light fpblock spring, and light firing pin spring. schmeky here on the forums is the one you want to talk to! he can supply what you need based on your imput.                   http://www.cajungunworks.com/      the mecgar mags  are becoming available again are around $23.00 with the steel base plates and you can get them here.    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/812144/mec-gar-magazine-cz-75-compact-9mm-luger-14-round-steel-blue  . the  mainspring plug is here.   http://czcustom.com/CZ75mainspringplugcompact.aspx     and a chart to compare grip widths is here.  I went with the vz tactical diamond that is in between the stock rubber and thin aluminum in width.           everyone has their own opinions and wants on sights and i went with the fiber optic front and cz tactical rear.              good resources here are schmeky and stuart. they have the know on how to set these guns up right.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:46:54 PM by mkd »

Offline Czeetah

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Of course a faction would argue that a very light trigger is more for a comp gun than a PDW ... in the heat of the moment when adrenalin is pumping a light trigger might not be the best thing.

I'm not saying one way or the other. But google around on the issue and read arguments, also noting the legal ramifications of having a light trigger should you find yourself defending in a wrongful/accidental shooting scenario.

FOX News/MSNBC/CNN/CBS/ABC: "Brought to you by the generous support of corporations who have everything to sell you and nothing to tell you"

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
I'm not looking for a super light trigger. My shadow custom does that for me. I might look at those VZ grips. Does CGW sell everything I am wanting and to install it all? I was also thinking about a SRS kit as well.

Offline mkd

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
Kenneth talk to schmeky and tell him what you want to do and go from there. I could have went way lighter on the main spring but with the 13lb spring ended up 3lbs 1# single and 7lbs 12oz double and that was light enough for me.

Offline manhairetis

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
Maybe you should reconsider the aluminium grips if you intend to use the gun in very cold weather.

Offline adrian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
     Hiya Kenneth, and thanks much for starting the thread, the SRS from CGW would probally be an awesome upgrade, I'm hoping to find out if it can be used on my po-2, and I'd have my ultimate carry. I'm an oddball, as I prefer the rubber grips over thin ones. The short progression for sights was the factory irons, to trijicon night sights and most recent hex-site. I found it to excell in the distances a carry would be put into use, and hope to never have to use it for said purpose. My backup carry is the 83, and Stu lightened the trigger weight and polished some internals, its SA reset is perfect out of the box. If you can find someone with the hex-site and have em teach ya how to use em, cannot imagine you ever looking for another defense sight. My web cam isnt the best, but heres some looks at it.

I think this is a great platform for a carry Kenneth, and believe its also why the those czcustom folks chose it for the pro-tek line they make. I agree with a previous poster that the lawyers could twist the purpose of some of these alterations, and my CCW instructor pointed out many reasons to leave it as the factory made it. Suppose in the rare instance it were to be used to protect my life when someones trying to take my life, if I've failed in the former, really wont matter wnat the lawyers want to do. Excellent project you've taken on, and wish you the best in creating the ultimate carry, be well

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
I live in texas so very cold is only a few days a year. I only get to CCW 4 days out of the week so I don't think that will be an issue.

That hex sight is very different and I would have to shoot through one to see how I felt about it but it looks crazy to me.

Thanks to all the replies ill be calling CGW in the morning and seeing what we can figure out.

Offline manhairetis

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »
adrian,
Even though many legal issues are certainly different here than in the USA, I would be very much interested in the reasons that make your trainer think that you should stick with the production model, as I am also thinking of making some mods, mainly to the sights.
Could you please take some time and inform us?
I think many people will find it interesting, as a matter of fact I think you could even start a dedicated thread on this matter.
Thank you very much.

Offline bozwell

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
adrian,
Even though many legal issues are certainly different here than in the USA, I would be very much interested in the reasons that make your trainer think that you should stick with the production model, as I am also thinking of making some mods, mainly to the sights.
Could you please take some time and inform us?
I think many people will find it interesting, as a matter of fact I think you could even start a dedicated thread on this matter.
Thank you very much.

Some people have advanced the notion that you will open yourself up to additional liability if you ever have to use a "modified" gun in a self-defense situation.  My own $0.02, this argument is over-exaggerated and the majority of people repeating it don't understand how the law works, but rather seem to think prosecutors can twist any fact (relevant or not) into a guilty verdict through the use of magic.  If you hit your target and it's a justified use of self-defense, any work you've done to the trigger is unlikely to matter.  If it's a questionable use of self-defense, it may come up but likely would not be all that persuasive of evidence.  On the other hand, if you miss your target and hit a third party, having a lighter trigger could certainly come into play.

All that said, you need to carry a gun you're comfortable and accurate with.  The likelihood of any of the above situations occurring is incredibly remote, and in the majority of those situations a lighter-than-factory trigger would (my own opinion) be a non-issue.  Pros and cons either way, and you'll just have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. 

Offline manhairetis

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
Thank you very much for your input.

Offline adrian

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
    Hiya, Kenneth the hex is kinda crazy in a zen kinda way, does require some specific training and practice, but dry firing with a SIRT trainer, or my cheap home-made version helps alot. A link for your perusal, and keep an open mind.
     http://goshen-hexsite.com/
     Hiya manhairetis, there prolly are several active threads on the subject of modifying self defence/ ccw weapons and legal ramifications; google is your friend. Bozwell hit the main points a CCW trainer would suggest, and these are classes that can run 14 hr long. I was so spooked after my CCW class, I stopped carrying for months, and went to OC spray, and a light for a bit. Back carrying, with a back-up. Search Frank Magliato vs People of New York to see a real life example of the why ya might not wanna modify your EDC. If CZ markets a gun to meet industry standards for safety, and its intended use, and YOU alter it in a way that undermines this standard, a lawyer or jury may decide You will be culpable for YOUR recklessness. For the record, both of my EDC have had DA lightened, just not enough. Be well

Offline manhairetis

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 02:45:20 AM »
adrian,
this is really great input, I am already googling!
Thank you very much.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »
Well I ordered a set of diamond compact VZ grips and was delivered the gray sand colored ones. Are they the same thickness as the diamond compact grips? I'm still thinking that the thin grips from CZ might fit me better but I can not find a pair anywhere.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »
David at CGW has been awesome to deal with. Here is a list of things I have ordered. EZ drift sights, SRS kit, CGW race hammer, VZ grips, 85C trigger, 14 rd mecgar mag, and some pins and other springs.

Anything that you all think could turn this P01 into something more carry perfect? I already carry it wearing a fitted T shirt but would every advantage I can get.

AND to show how awesome David is and this is not a knock at his business at all only mentioning because he took care of me very quick without any questions. I was unboxing everything and checking every package with the labels and then I read all of the directions step by step and checked the parts to ensure that I had everything I needed. I found that I was missing the firing pin plunger spring. I emailed David after hours and he responded quickly with a note saying he was sending me one priority mail in the morning. Well I started reading about the 85C trigger and decided to email him in the middle of the night to see what he could do to get one of those in the package with the spring. He took care of it no problem. CGW will get any of my business for my P01 or my shadow custom in the future due to his customer service alone. THANK YOU!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:05:43 PM by Kenneth »