Author Topic: 3 must have Firearms for SHTF  (Read 74417 times)

Offline zze86

3 must have Firearms for SHTF
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »
I'm sure this has been done before but its always fun to make lists so name 3 factory guns within REASONABLE costs that are MUST HAVES in a SHTF scenario and why. Let's cap costs to $1200 or less. Why $1200? I dunno it just sounds like a good number. Was going to ask for 5 but decided to ask for three to make you squirm a bit  ;D

1.) Savage MKii in .22lr - probably the most common (used to be at least, lol) versatile round out there and with the accutrigger and bull barrel, these things are scary accurate and you can get them with threaded barrels from the factory for those situations that require a little bit more discretion. They are fairly common and it can't get much simpler than a bolt action.

2.) Remington 870 combo in 20 gauge - one of the most common and versatile shotshell calibers with less recoil than a 12ga so you can pass the shotgun to the wife or a young'un. The combo also makes the 870 extremely versatile, suitable for wing shooting through big game and anything and everything between. Pump action makes it super easy to maintain and they are everywhere.

3.) Ruger GP100 6" in .357 mag - one of the most common and probably the most versatile pistol caliber around. Load it up with .38special wadcutters for small game or full load semi jacketed or JHP 357mag rounds for big game and defense. The Ruger may not be the prettiest, slickest one around but it'll take on whatever you throw at it (or whatever you throw it at) and keep on ticking. Being a revolver makes it easier to maintain and super simple to operate.

That's my list, as you probably figured out versatility and simplicity are major underlying themes. So what's on your shortlist?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: 3 must have Firearms for SHTF
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:30:25 AM »
1. My AR15 in .223. Police and military use.
2. Rem. 870 in 12 ga. Again police and military use
3. any of my CZ's in 9mm or any of my K-frame S&W's in .38/.357. Police and military use although the wheel gun is pretty uncommon on a duty belt today.
These are all some of the common calibers and should procurement of additional ammo become necessary it would be easier to find should you need to hunt for it. Even though like I said there aren't many wheel guns being carried by police some departments do still have them around and the K-frame S&W is hands down the one you will likely find should you need extra parts. As for the shotgun, the only way to wear out an 870 is to drive over it and the 12 ga is everywhere. Gotta have that AR with a pile of 30 rnd mags.

Offline mgardner

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
I guess SHTF means different things to different people. I was trained with the idea that all you really have is what you can carry on your back and run with. I'm down to two.
                           1) Custom Scout Rifle (bolt action) in 30-06 as my main battle rifle.  8)
                           2) CZ 75 Shadow in 9mm so I can shoot myself if I'm hurt too badly.  ;)
For long term survival if things stabilize. I have a CZ 455 22LR added to the mix.

Offline calypsocoral

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:41 PM »
1) A lever-action .30-30. Ammo is readily-available, it has more than enough "knock-down" power for defending your property, and is the archetypical hunting rifle. If the supermarkets run out of meat, it's good to know I have plenty of deer in my neighborhood! Inexpensive options include the Mossberg 464 and the Rossi Rio Grande (made by BrazTech in Brazil), though there should be plenty of Winchester 94's readily-available on the "pre-owned" market. As an added bonus, chances are pretty good that this will not end up on an "Assault Rifle" Ban list.

2) Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun. Again-- great for home defense, with 00 buckshot, assuming the user can handle moderate recoil. It's inexpensive, and it just works! Being able to go to the local pond and bag a few ducks or geese is an added bonus. Remington 870 works just as well-- I prefer Mossberg's tang safety and better value. Both can also be had cheaply on the used market. Again, plenty of readily-available ammo.

3) This is because of the region I live in-- any used Mauser-action rifle in .338 Winchester Magnum, with iron sights, or an "over-and-under" setup. Why? Four words-- Bears and Mountain Lions!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
As long as this doesn't degenerate into a zombie theme, I'll play.
I have to go with, instead of a price guide, with what I actually have.
Long gun, toss up, really, depending on the situation. Red Dawn type scenario, probably my SA vz-58 with chest pounch.
Non-Red Dawn scenario, CZ 527CSR with extra ammo boxed up and 3 spare mags. :) Lightweight, good power and excellent reliability/accuracy.

Two handguns. CZ P-01 with Kadet Kit 2 adapter, and CZ SP-01 Phantom. Light weight, and gives options without sacrificing the primary defensive pistol.

Terminator invasion, plasma rifle in the 40 megawatt range. ;) ;D

Offline calypsocoral

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
As long as this doesn't degenerate into a zombie theme, I'll play.
I have to go with, instead of a price guide, with what I actually have.
Long gun, toss up, really, depending on the situation. Red Dawn type scenario, probably my SA vz-58 with chest pounch.
Non-Red Dawn scenario, CZ 527CSR with extra ammo boxed up and 3 spare mags. :) Lightweight, good power and excellent reliability/accuracy.

Two handguns. CZ P-01 with Kadet Kit 2 adapter, and CZ SP-01 Phantom. Light weight, and gives options without sacrificing the primary defensive pistol.

Unless you have some REALLY cheap used sources, that all sounds like a lot more than $1200! ;)

Offline calypsocoral

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »

Actually, since several of the most prominent technological theorists believe that Technological Singularity may occur before the end of this decade, this is actually much more plausible than the popular "zombie" scenarios!

Since there is a "no zombie" rule in this forum, would a "Surviving the Technological Apocalypse" thread be a no-no?

papaairbear

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
$1200 or less, each.
1) M16/M4 or variant, convertible to FA.
2) CZ 75B/SP01 Tactical
3) And a great big super sharp Bowie knife.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Three..?

Less than $1,200 ....?

It's SHTF, not Wheel of Fortune

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

But I wouldn't leave the bunker without a good knife, my PCR and an AR  8) of course that almost sums up everyday.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline jjdurso

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
1. Most important and my favorite rifle:  Magnum Research Magnum Lite .22 with four BX25 mags and two bricks of high velocity hollow points.  Scoped it weighs less than five pounds, the ammo weighs another seven, its capable of taking tasty critters, and saying "go away" to two legged ones.  Because survival is about surviving, not taking the beach at Normandy.  Not to mention inside 100 yards it the most accurate weapon I've ever shot; inside 25 yards pumping 25 shots into a quarter sized group as fast as you can pull the trigger is no problem!

2. Any one of my DA CZ75 pattern 9mms with a few loaded mags and a box or two of ammo for close encounters, barter and ending it all if need be.

3. I'm pretty comfortable with those two, but if I had to choose another I guess it would be my Remington 870 pump, purely for the looks (intimidation factor).  If I found myself with a pack I thought was too light (fat chance!) I'd rather have more .22 ammo, food or water than a third gun.

I'm not really interested in taking big game because it would likely rot and got to waste before I could eat it, I'm not really interested in long range weapons because how much defending yourself are you doing from 500 yards?  and a full auto AR?!? really? how much ammo to you plan to carry? how much does it weigh? how long will it last?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:58:18 PM by jjdurso »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »
1) Vz2008/Vz58 in 7.62x39mm with six (or more) loaded Magazines.
2) 9x19mm Tanfoglio/Armscore MAP1 FS with three loaded 19 round Magazines
3) Remington 1100 12 gauge equipped with short Slug/Riot Barrel with lots of shells, shot and Slugs
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
If you could only spend $1200, then get an SKS, plenty of ammo and stripper clips, a good Savage over/under 20ga/22lr with plenty of ammo, and a solid used handgun of any type with spare loads and ammo Learn to use all three. ;)

Offline fatbaldguy

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
a good Savage over/under 20ga/22lr with plenty of ammo

I have one of those.  The 24DL.  I've had it since my memory started recording.  Have you seen what the asking price is for these on Guns International, Gun Broker, and etc.?

Offline ExCDNGuy

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
It would come down to what was closest at hand at the time, but in general, here would be my choice of 3 for a SHTF scenario:

1) Shotgun - pump - 20 gauge (as someone pointed out previously) - it's versatile, good power and could be used by someone smaller.  No preference - I have Winchester Defender 8 shot 20 ga - but Remington, Mossberg or any other would be just fine.  Second barrel if possible and 12 gauge is also possible.

2) .22 rilfle - Ruger 10/22 - not the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned or shot but adequate, small enough and reliable. Have several 25 shot mags.  I would suggest the poly/stainless takedown model. 

3) Pistol - here is where I'm most torn.  My CZ-75BD would certainly make a good "end of days" pistol and I would trust it... BUT... based on size, weight, etc. I would probably choose a Glock 17 or 19 - 9 mm.  While not as pretty as my CZ, they are rock solid reliable, easy to clean, and light.  I shoot them very well - my CZ is maybe a bit more accurate - but I'm much faster with the Glock. 

There is my 1/50th of a dollar equivalent on this topic.  D. 
Being honest may not always make you a lot of friends, but it will always make you the RIGHT friends.

CZ-75 BD Police - Glock 19 (gen 3) - S&W 908s - S&W M&P Pro Series .40 cal - KelTec P32 - knives, sticks, stones and a somewhat surly disposition.

Offline zze86

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
I guess SHTF means different things to different people.

Certainly. I purposely left it kind of ambiguous. Interesting to hear the responses.