Author Topic: CZ 40B NIB sight problem  (Read 3985 times)

Quonah

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« on: June 17, 2003, 07:00:29 AM »
Received a NIB CZ40B and am a bit disappointed in the final setup of the sights. For some reason the front sight is offset quite a bit to the left and to make up for that, the rear sight has been tapped to the left. In addition, whoever made the adjustment to the rear sight did not remove the heavy red marks left from the punch, drift or whatever tool was used.

Left an e-mail message with CZ's gunsmith about this. I have not fired a round through it until I hear back from CZ. I know I could re-center the front sight and re-position the rear but the size of the adjustments to be made on a new pistol is worrisome. Makes one wonder about the overall quality. I sincerely hope this sloppiness is extremely rare from CZ.

Walt-Sherrill

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 04:14:19 PM »
Not very pretty, and it shouldn't have come to you that way, but it won't have much effect on the point of impact, if the front and rear sights are offset the same amount.

In that case, the net effect of the sight shifts would be to move the point of impact, at any distance, a fraction of an inch to the right of where it should be.  That is trivial.

If either the front or rear sight were off that much, it would be a big deal -- but even GLOCKS and SIGS come from the factory with misadjusted sights.

Center up the sights and shoot the gun, then see where the point of impact is.    I'll bet that's what CZ tells you to do.

Quonah

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 05:28:25 AM »
I agree. I will make the adjustments and get the sights centered and see how it shoots. If and when the rains stop here in MD, maybe I can  find a public range that is set up for handguns. . .  

Thanks,

Walt-Sherrill

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 03:05:40 PM »
When the rain stops.   <sigh>

Take along a sand bag, or something you can use as a comfortable rest, a tool for the sight, a brass punch, and a good hammer.

Start up close (25-30 feet) until you get the sights right.
-----------------
We're being hit by some of the same rain systems.   I keep expecting to see animals lining up in pairs in the cul-de-sac.  

Last year (which was a dry one), we had 13 inches of rain by mid June; this  year we've had 31, its still raining, and there's no end in sight.

Quonah

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 06:35:27 AM »
Centered the front and rear sights and got it shooting about 6 in. groups at 25 yds. Unfortunately, the public range near me has targets starting at 25 yds. and out to rifle distance. My older eyes could use a different sighting system, but first I am going to try changing the dot color to something flourescent. No problems, I used 180gr and 165gr Federal Winchester FMJ equally well, except the 180 stuff felt (?)  better.Picked up some more ammo at a local gun show and it stays llight enough here to shoot until about 7:00. . . .

Walt-Sherrill

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 04:17:05 PM »
While many others, here, shooting the CZ-40B prefer the 165 gr. bullet/round, mine seemed to prefer the 180 gr.  Which made me happy, as it was far easier to come by from my usual sources.

6" at 25 yards can probably be improved on -- and probably will be as you get more familiar with the gun.  

(For me, it often takes 2-3 range sessions before I start shooting a new gun as good as I can shoot it.   Something about a new gun just throws me off.  A friend of mine, however, can drive tacks with new guns -- and I often get him to shoot mine before I do, to give me an idea of its potential...)

-------------
With regard to old eyes -- I have them too -- check with your eye doctor the next time you get your glasses renewed.  I had mine prescribe an extra pair with the right lens (I'm right handed and right-eye dominant) set to focus on the front sight, and the left lens set to focus on distant objects.

It takes some getting used to, but it has helped me.

Its a LOT more important that you see the front sight (and its alignment with the rear sights) clearly than you see the target clearly.  A LOT.

The other night in an IDPA classifier, I managed to shoot the final stage -- most of which is at 20 yards -- with only 5 shots not in the 8" center.  (That's 25 of 30 rounds relatively where I wanted them to be...)

I still missed expert by 6 bleep seconds, though!!  I think I've reached my level of maximum incompetence.  

My consolation is that the only guy who had a lower score on that stage had a lower score because of his speed, not because of acurracy.   (He's almost 25 years younger than me, and shoots a lot more with a gun that cost 4-times what mine cost.   And he practices a lot!!  [excuses, excuses, excuses]   He is very good -- he missed master by 8 seconds.)

Offline CZSteve

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 08:16:18 PM »
Quonah

Just a suggestion that you might want to take a look at XS Big Dot 24/7 sights.
Had them installed on my 40B (Hungweilo here was the 1st) and have been VERY pleased.
I'm very much a traditionalist at heart, but warmed up to these sights very quickly and they have a very quick to p/u sight picture for a defensive gun.
 www.xssights.com
Steve was the main contact that initially helped; Bo is the smith that did the work. Real nice guys.

PS The XS sights look even better than factory sights w/ a better proportion. Looks do matter, right?;)

Walt-Sherrill

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 05:29:04 AM »
Which reminds me...

Anybody who had their CZ-40B sights switched out:  want to sell your old sights?   I'm looking for some sights for an old (very nice) Llama 9mm 1911, and whatever I get will require new sight dovetails, front and rear.  I like the CZ-40B sights...

Suggest a price.

Or maybe we could work a trade -- sights for a .40 mag, or something like that.

HungWeiLo

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 06:28:36 AM »
I'd trade you my original sights, Walt.  I'd take a Remington 870 Wingmaster in trade, pending condition of the Wingmaster. ;)

Seriously, just make on offer.

Walt-Sherrill

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 02:43:31 PM »
$15?

Contact me by email if you're interested.

(They may not work, and if so, I'll just add them to the parts bin.)

Quonah

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 07:01:00 AM »
Some minor adjustments and now getting 3" groups @25 yds. I think the biggest improvement was moving to a firing lane that had better lighting and daubing a spot of flourescent bright orange on the fron sight. After that, it has been a matter of proper set up and getting used to the trigger.

I am going to get new glasses made with the right lens ground for better vision on the front sight. Or maybe try the XS sighting system. Or laser to improve both eyes. Too bad human sighting systems aren't under warranty.

I am enjoying getting back to shooting and this CZ40 is just fun!

Thanks for the tips everyone, Jon

HungWeiLo

CZ 40B NIB sight problem
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 02:53:19 PM »
I've had the laser treatment and the XS sights.  I highly recommend them both. :D