Author Topic: Is having the majority of your firearms in 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go?  (Read 75256 times)

NRA1945

Question for preppers,

Is having the majority of your firearms in only 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go? This is what I've been told by some preppers, e.g. having all your handguns in 9mm, all your rifles in .22LR and/or .308WIN, all shotguns in 12ga .00 buck, etc. The reasoning behind this I was told is that these are the most common defensive calibers and would be the easiest to come across during a SHTF situation.

But what I found out the hard way during the guns & ammo buying craze was that all these calibers were EXACTLY the same ones that could not be found at all during a crisis. 9mm, 22LR, .308WIN, etc., were nowhere to be seen, but I did see quite a bit of .40S&W, some occasional .45ACP, .38spl, and lots of 17hmr and .30-06. If it was that bad during what was essentially just a panic buy over rumors, then how bad would it be if the SHTF for real?

Of course, had I been prepping beforehand like I should have, this wouldn't have been much of an issue, but one thing I've learned in the past year is that I seriously need to add at least one .40S&W pistol and some kind of .30-06 rifle to my line up! It seems that if you keep all your firearms diversified, your bound to be able to get ammo for at least a couple of them during a major shortage.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:25:53 PM by NRA1945 »

Offline bozwell

I think whatever caliber you choose can work fine, but having a limited # means you only have to stockpile a limited # of ammo types.  If you like .40S&W, there's nothing wrong with that, but you should try and stockpile as much .40S&W as you'll need, and I would have a minimum amount to always keep on hand that you don't dip into for recreational shooting.  If you're preparing to buy what you need during a SHTF situation, you really aren't prepared for the SHTF situation.

NRA1945

I think whatever caliber you choose can work fine, but having a limited # means you only have to stockpile a limited # of ammo types.  If you like .40S&W, there's nothing wrong with that, but you should try and stockpile as much .40S&W as you'll need, and I would have a minimum amount to always keep on hand that you don't dip into for recreational shooting.
It's not a question of liking certain calibers, just having your firearms diversified so you can find ANY ammo for them during a shortage.

If you're preparing to buy what you need during a SHTF situation, you really aren't prepared for the SHTF situation.
True, but I was told if ammo was somehow to be found or bartered for somewhere during a SHTF situation, it would most likely be the above mentioned calibers. Anything's possible, and you may be forced to bug out of your place for whatever reason leaving supplies behind. But what if you got all your 9mm's, .308WIN's, etc., and some old ammo you come across in the house or building you find yourself shacked up is .40S&W and .30-06? Whoops... does anybody here have a .40S&W?  ???

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:47:51 PM by NRA1945 »

Offline bozwell

You can concoct what if's all day though.  If you're having to leave your home and all your supplies behind, you also won't be bringing your entire gun safe with you.  You might come across a particular caliber or you might not.  The best you can do is be prepared and not hope to scrounge up ammo in a bad situation unless absolutely necessary.

Offline armed hiker

For a real SHTF scenario make sure to cover all the bases.....
.54 cal flintlock musket.
Not only can you make your own projectiles from practically anything that you can cast you can even make your own powder with a little work.

I agree with Bozwell about not bringing the safe it would kill me just trying. Having many calibers would be handy if you could not shoot them  they at least become trade goods and you keep the ones you can source ammo for. Having ammo or supplies in general would be best but at least enough to finish the job needed. I recommend watching/ reading "the Road" for a decent SHTF movie.

NRA1945

You can concoct what if's all day though.  If you're having to leave your home and all your supplies behind, you also won't be bringing your entire gun safe with you.  You might come across a particular caliber or you might not.  The best you can do is be prepared and not hope to scrounge up ammo in a bad situation unless absolutely necessary.
Not envisioning bringing a safe with me alone, but possibly having friends and family members carrying mine or their own firearms, some of which may not fit the preppers criteria of only one or two common NATO calibers. Strength lies in numbers, seems most preppers I hear from always talk as if they plan on going it alone. Bad idea.

Offline bozwell

Failing to see the logical connection between caliber and going it alone.  Even if you travel with a group, are you seriously going to try and carry a gun of each caliber, in case you stumble across spare ammo ?  A gun is important, but so are food, water, tools, supplies, and so on. 

I would still try and stock a gun of some preferred caliber and as much ammo you think you'll need.  Spend the rest of your time and money worrying about other supplies.  There's a lot more to survival than carrying a bunch of service pistols and calibers.

NRA1945

Failing to see the logical connection between caliber and going it alone.  Even if you travel with a group, are you seriously going to try and carry a gun of each caliber, in case you stumble across spare ammo ?  A gun is important, but so are food, water, tools, supplies, and so on. 

I would still try and stock a gun of some preferred caliber and as much ammo you think you'll need.  Spend the rest of your time and money worrying about other supplies.  There's a lot more to survival than carrying a bunch of service pistols and calibers.
Agreed, thanks for your feedback.

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
I love caliber diversity. I currently own handguns in 380ACP, 9mm Mak, 9mm Luger, 40S&W, 45ACP, and 7.62x25 Tok as well as 20G and 12G shotguns and 7.62x39 rifles.

For prepping you want more common calibers. A 22 handgun or rifle for small game. Handguns in either 9mm (most common civilian and military round) or 40S&W (most common police round). .223/5.56 AR rifle in the most popular with civilian, police, and military, but there are a lot of AK47's out there as well so either one would be OK.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:33:18 AM by JimThornTX »
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
For Bugging out, I've lowered my Pistol Caliber count to one - 9x19mm.

I also love my .45's, .38 Specials, and .357 Magnums, but I've decided upon the 9mm for a lot of good reasons.

For a Shotgun, I will have my 12 Gauge Remington 1100.

For a Rifle/Carbine, I'm still trying to figure out whether I want a 7.62x39mm or a 5.56x45mm.  So far, I'm leaning towards my CAI Vz2008 in 7.62x39mm.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'

For a Rifle/Carbine, I'm still trying to figure out whether I want a 7.62x39mm or a 5.56x45mm.  So far, I'm leaning towards my CAI Vz2008 in 7.62x39mm.

If you could only get the ammo, I'd take a SMLE. Maybe if I could get a good one in 308 it would be easier to find ammo. Man, those things will run through anything so long as you wash them out and pull through the barrel once a week and they're accurate and fast shooting as well.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Is having the majority of your firearms in 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go?
For Bugging out, I've lowered my Pistol Caliber count to one - 9x19mm.
For a Shotgun, I will have my 12 Gauge Remington 1100.
1. Yes
2. Pistols and The right 9mm carbine(s) could be useful for economy of ammunition, weight, quantity of ammo per volume and likely purposes.   High mag capacities could be beneficial.  Not Perfect, but useful and ultimately practical.  The most plentiful supplies of centerfire ammo are 9mm worldwide. 
3. Good to have in both slug and shotshell, but very heavy and large per round. 
4.  I would add a .22cal long bbl pistol(s) for secondary economy and usefulness.  .22lr is the most plentiful ammo on earth.

I am not a prepper. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:33:29 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
I like the idea of caliber diversity in a single platform, e.g., the Springfield M6 Scout:

I understand the last batch was made by CZ:

Any chance of seeing more of these made in the future?
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
But what I found out the hard way during the guns & ammo buying craze was that all these calibers were EXACTLY the same ones that could not be found at all during a crisis. 9mm, 22LR, .308WIN, etc., were nowhere to be seen. If it was that bad during what was essentially just a panic buy over rumors, then how bad would it be if the SHTF for real?

I think you answered your own question in the first paragraph.

PLUS only having NATO chamberings is boring.  Variety is the spice of life!  The most fun I've had shooting lately was when I bought my boy a .32 S&W Hand Ejector.  Hardly any recoil from the tiny I frame.  From a prepper standpoint, it would also make a good cartridge.  You can cast your own bullets, and it only uses 83-100 grains of lead.  To reload for it, it only uses 1.6-2.0 grains of powder.  Primers will always be the hiccup.

Offline bemky

For a real SHTF scenario make sure to cover all the bases.....
.54 cal flintlock musket.
Not only can you make your own projectiles from practically anything that you can cast you can even make your own powder with a little work.

I agree with Bozwell about not bringing the safe it would kill me just trying. Having many calibers would be handy if you could not shoot them  they at least become trade goods and you keep the ones you can source ammo for. Having ammo or supplies in general would be best but at least enough to finish the job needed. I recommend watching/ reading "the Road" for a decent SHTF movie.

id rather just make my own shotgun shells.. but this is also a good way to be self sufficient
"You never need an argument against the use of violence, you need an argument for it." - Noam Chomsky

CZ75 SP-01 Tactical High Noon shoulder rig