Author Topic: Is having the majority of your firearms in 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go?  (Read 75499 times)

Offline blueeyephil

Is having the majority of your firearms in 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
You know, I don't think it will matter that much. In a true SHTF situation, all ammo will be gone in short order. So you need to have your supplies gathered in advance.

I have a Sig 226 that I bought as a 40S&W and came with a 357sig barrel. I later bought an upper kit from SIG on sale for 9mm. I could also get a 22 upper kit for it. So one gun can be quickly changed to be any one of four calibers.
Buying the 9mm upper was far cheaper than buying a good quality used gun.

If you think that it's so bad that your picking up battlefield ammo, so to speak. If the ammo is lying around, then probably the gun will be too. If not when you go to steal the ammo, your probably looking down the end of a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:48:36 AM by blueeyephil »

NRA1945

You know, I don't think it will matter that much. In a true SHTF situation, all ammo will be gone in short order. So you need to have your supplies gathered in advance.

I have a Sig 226 that I bought as a 40S&W and came with a 357sig barrel. I later bought an upper kit from SIG on sale for 9mm. I could also get a 22 upper kit for it. So one gun can be quickly changed to be any one of four calibers.
Buying the 9mm upper was far cheaper than buying a good quality used gun.

If you think that it's so bad that your picking up battlefield ammo, so to speak. If the ammo is lying around, then probably the gun will be too. If not when you go to steal the ammo, your probably looking down the end of a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you still get a P226 with multiple barrels?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Yep. If you buy a 40 or 357Sig, you can get the other barrel. Additionally, you can get a 22 caliber upper, and a 9mm Barsto conversion barrel.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
It depends on what you define as "bad times". If it's like recent disasters, where the worst you may face will be looters and weather, then I think what you have with you is more important, firearms wise. This presupposes that you and yours will find civilization again soon, or if you shelter in place that civilization will find you again. The main object of emergency preparedness is not looking to start a war, but survival in extreme circumstances.
Now if it's "end times" style living, that changes a few things, but I am hoping the Road Warrior doesn't come to Texas any time soon, if you catch my drift.

Offline blueeyephil

You can get a conversion barrel or a complete slide with barrel for the Sig 226. But you can get a conversion barrel for most of the popular 40s. So, if you like Glock or S&W M&P you can get 40 to 9mm conversion barrels from at least a couple of manufactures. You can get a 40 to 9 conversion, but not a 9mm to 40.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:28:02 PM by blueeyephil »

Offline Yer

• Noblesse Oblige
It depends on what you are looking to do. I have handguns in 4 calibers, soon to be 2 (selling the .22 and .44)
I stick with 9mm and .45 ACP for my handguns which are for home/self defense AND competition (9mm for minor and some major, .45 for major power)
I love both for their differences: capacity vs bullet size.
I would suggest going with either 1 or 2 calibers tops for your different guns.
Remington R1 Enhanced, Chiappa Rhino 200DS, Sarsilmaz K2 45.
No one remembers the name of trampled flowers. Fallen birds await the wind before they try again. Prayers will not save us. Only the will to fight can change our world.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator

For a Rifle/Carbine, I'm still trying to figure out whether I want a 7.62x39mm or a 5.56x45mm.  So far, I'm leaning towards my CAI Vz2008 in 7.62x39mm.

If you could only get the ammo, I'd take a SMLE. Maybe if I could get a good one in 308 it would be easier to find ammo. Man, those things will run through anything so long as you wash them out and pull through the barrel once a week and they're accurate and fast shooting as well.

Actually, I do have something very much like that.  An Ishapore Enfield No. 2A Mark III in 7.62mm NATO.  Accuracy grouping has been a respectable 3 inches at 100 yards with the Iron Sights.
The Pic below is from when I first got it.  I now have a Fiberglass Sporter Stock on it.

Indian Surplus Ishapore Enfield No. 2A Mark III in 7.62mm NATO

But for that Caliber, I might prefer my L1A1 FN FAL Sporter.

L1A1 FN FAL Sporter with Smith Enterprise Muzzle Brake

The thing is, I can carry much more Ammunition in 5.56x45mm and a bit less in 7.62x39mm, and both of these Cartridges have sufficient energies for defensive use.
Still leaning towards the 7.62x39mm and my CAI Vz2008, but my old AR15A2 HBAR tempts me still.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:18:35 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline mgardner

For survival or SHTF one firearm would be preferable. Handguns are not particularly useful so a rifle of some sort would be best for me, probably the CZ 452 (22 LR) would go unless I was unable to avoid heavy combat then the 30-06 Scout Rifle would go. Any of us with any military experience know that sidearms are never preferable to a rifle for combat no matter how good you are with them.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Except that firearm calibers are like flyrods and Lays Potato Chips ? you can't have just one.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline JB326

I've condensed my caliber collection pretty heavily... I have 22, 5.56, 300 BLK, 308, 30-06 (M1 Garand) and I recently added a 260 Rem long range rifle. If I can't load it with Varget/ Win 748/ H4895 (with the exception of the 300 BLK), I won't buy/ own it.

Beyond condensing calibers, I've pretty much condensed the platforms down to AR's or Remington 700's. I would be perfectly fine knowing that I had to grab any one of my AR's and "make do" for a while.

In pistols I own 9mm, 40, and 45, but I generally only shoot 9mm's, and if I had to bail, 9mm would definitely be what went with me.

NRA1945

Interesting responses people.

I guess I'm more of a firearms enthusiast then a prepper, because the concept of having all my guns in only one or two calibers is offensive to me. I'm more interested in realistic urban survival anyway, as I probably won't be moving out to the country anytime soon.

I got my tricked out Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifle with ATI stock for SHTF for now, and it doubles as a hunting rifle. Certainly not the best platform but it's better then nothing. It was cheap and ammo is also cheap, plentiful and effective. I'd like to get a Mosin M38 or M44 Carbine to make into a scout rifle in the future.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:39:43 PM by NRA1945 »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Mosin - good solid rifle that will last another 100 years. At one time the only rifle I owned was a Mosin M-38, and it was my go-to rifle. :) Finding stripper clips is a huge pain, but they can be found.

Offline bobanddog

How many folks who are really THAT worried about some sort of 'SHTF' scenario have enough food and water, or medical supplies to match their small arsenals?  What about power and heat?  For that matter what about basic survival and medical skills?  Can you build, fix or fabricate enough to even repair your shelter or irrigate a crop?  Are you planning to do this in your house on Main street, Anytown USA?  The funny thing is, the same people who are planning to hunker down in one place, are going to be holding out against their cataclysmic kindred, the 'bug-out-bag' packers.

I seriously hope this discussion in itself is purely for entertainment purposes.  If the S really H's the F, my bets are on some of the people I've encountered struggling in the face of brutal poverty and hardship in the third world to make it, and not many others, no matter how much ammo they've hoarded. 

As for me, I like the attitude of the old boys in 'On the Beach';  Going fishing or trying to finish the drinks before they ran out of time... 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:47:20 PM by bobanddog »
"I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."

Izaak Walton

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
How many folks who are really THAT worried about some sort of 'SHTF' scenario have enough food and water, or medical supplies to match their small arsenals?  What about power and heat?  For that matter what about basic survival and medical skills?

If I had the room I would be like the Mormon's and have at least a 1 year's supply of food and water. But since I don't, I at least try to always have the FEMA recommended 72 hours worth of food and water on hand. I also have a small propane-powered camp stove to boil water and cook on. Power I would have to do without, but I do have a wood-burning fireplace (with plenty of firewood) as well as natural gas heaters in each bathroom. For medical training my wife is a nurse. I would do more if I could but lack of overall room, lack of funding, and living in the city hinder my progress.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
72 hours is a good goal, and one even us low income people can attain, with smart buying. Solar chargers can be had for cell phones and flashlight batteries, and with the "add-one'can'per'trip" shopping, it doesn't take long to establish a supply in the home. Our parents used to have much more then 72 hours worth of food, but that called a "pantry", not "prepping". :)
Water, blue jugs from WalMart hold 6 gallons each with no issue, rotate your water by using it, and refilling these Reliant stack-on jugs, and they don't really take up that much room.

BIG rule...unless your neighbors are part of your plan, no matter if it's 72 hours or OMG ITS THE END OF THE WORLD, don't show off/tell 'em what you have. Some people "prep" with just guns and ammo, so they can just take your stuff. You won't need it when you're dead, right? ;) Looters are a fact of the human condition, whether the break down is short or long.

back to the point - start with what you think 72 hours might need, and yes, medical kits, (not your $5 WalMart First Aid Kit), and some First Aid training would be an excellent idea.

anything