Author Topic: Is having the majority of your firearms in 1 or 2 calibers really the way to go?  (Read 75498 times)

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
How many folks who are really THAT worried about some sort of 'SHTF' scenario have enough food and water, or medical supplies to match their small arsenals? 

Me.  ;)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Most folks can survive 72 hours without food easily.  One can generally survive about 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter (including warm clothing or fire), 3 days without water (perhaps not in a hot environment), and 3 weeks without food.  Food is the least of your worries in a short-term survival scenario.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline ilaypipe

I have consolidate all my handgun to 9mm. We go to the range at least once a week and 9mm is somewhat easy to get. Cost is another reason, $26 for 100 rounds at wally world. Just got tired of having to get ammo for 3 calibers 9mm,40 ,45.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
72 hours is a good goal, and one even us low income people can attain, with smart buying. Solar chargers can be had for cell phones and flashlight batteries, and with the "add-one'can'per'trip" shopping, it doesn't take long to establish a supply in the home. Our parents used to have much more then 72 hours worth of food, but that called a "pantry", not "prepping". :)
Water, blue jugs from WalMart hold 6 gallons each with no issue, rotate your water by using it, and refilling these Reliant stack-on jugs, and they don't really take up that much room.

BIG rule...unless your neighbors are part of your plan, no matter if it's 72 hours or OMG ITS THE END OF THE WORLD, don't show off/tell 'em what you have. Some people "prep" with just guns and ammo, so they can just take your stuff. You won't need it when you're dead, right? ;) Looters are a fact of the human condition, whether the break down is short or long.

back to the point - start with what you think 72 hours might need, and yes, medical kits, (not your $5 WalMart First Aid Kit), and some First Aid training would be an excellent idea.
SHTF can take various forms other than the popular bug-outers.
Back in the early 70's, my wife and I lived in Wichita Falls TX (Pop. 100,000 )  when a monster tornado hit (Google Terrible Tuesday April 10th):   20K people without a home.  NO ELECTRICITY for well over 72 hrs city-wide and later only partially up.  Refridgerators had no power,  food spoiled.  Cash registers don't work,  Banks are closed, NO lights,  NO phone service within 60 miles, NO GASOLINE that could be pumped.  NO WATER for anyone including their toilets.  Most inner city streets and roads were impassable for the south half of the city and well beyond. .  Searching for injured or dead was initially done on horse-back.  Approx only 80 deaths when the final tally came in  due to a great warning system, but many injuries.  Very few looters--back then most were known to be armed.  There WERE SOME SCALPERS for BADLY NEEDED ITEMS.

ANYWAY, this was a learning experience where people became pretty desperate FAST for those things we take for granted  without thought to whatif.
Your hot water tank holds 30 or more gallons of potable water--most never even thought of it..   ETC ETC ETC

It's not wearing a tin hat to consider at least 3 days with NOTHING as it should be.
Just saying.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:51:34 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Texas527

For me the answer is; 7.62 X 39 (the most produced rifle cartridge in the world), 9mm, 12 ga and 22 LR. No accident three of calibers are military. These days, the 7.62 and 22 are almost the same price. I can reload the 7.62 and 9 mm. I can't carry more than a 1000 rounds of each, bullets, powder and presses in my Subaru and still have room for other gear. I carry more rifle ammo believing that I only use my pistol until I can reach my shotgun or rifle. I shoot the 7.62 in a 527 and a Sig 556R. 12 ga in two shotguns, the 22 in 3 rifles and 3 pistols and the 9 mm in two pistols.
CZ-527 7.62X39, CZ 455 MT, SIG 556R 7.62X39 SIG 228. Montana 1999 .308 custom rifle and more guns and neat stuff

NRA1945

For me the answer is; 7.62 X 39 (the most produced rifle cartridge in the world), 9mm, 12 ga and 22 LR. No accident three of calibers are military. These days, the 7.62 and 22 are almost the same price. I can reload the 7.62 and 9 mm. I can't carry more than a 1000 rounds of each, bullets, powder and presses in my Subaru and still have room for other gear. I carry more rifle ammo believing that I only use my pistol until I can reach my shotgun or rifle. I shoot the 7.62 in a 527 and a Sig 556R. 12 ga in two shotguns, the 22 in 3 rifles and 3 pistols and the 9 mm in two pistols.
Sounds like a good plan there Tex!

Offline TF135Sierra2Xray

• Prepare my hands for battle & my fingers for war
I like the idea of caliber diversity in a single platform, e.g., the Springfield M6 Scout:

I understand the last batch was made by CZ:

Any chance of seeing more of these made in the future?

I would love to find a CZ manufactured M6.  And not just because I was a Cave Scout, and am obsessed with CZ.
SGT, CAV
OEF1, OIF 1&2
Luke 22:36

Offline TF135Sierra2Xray

I try to stick to 9mm, 22lr, 7.62x39, and 12ga.  But I am seriously considering expanding to include .357mag, .45-70, 30-06, .45ACP, and .410.  We'll see what the future holds.
SGT, CAV
OEF1, OIF 1&2

Offline bugboy

I hope consolidation is not the way to go.

I have in handguns -
.22 short x2
.22 long rifle x2
.380 x1
.38/.357 x1
9mm x2
.40 S&W x1
.44 special x1
.44 magnum x1
.45 acp x3
.45 cap and ball

In long guns -
.22 lr x1
.223/5.56 x1
6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC x1
7.62x39 x1
.308 x1
.50 cal blackpowder x1
20 ga. x1
12 ga. x2

I figure I'll be able to find some ammo for at least one of those guns.

SP-01 Shadow
P-01 + 40B slide = 40P
Kadet
CZ 83
vz2008
SAR K2 45 X2
and some other "stuff"

Offline TF135Sierra2Xray

We have very similar plans, and currently run the exact same 4 calibers!  The difference being that my 527M is backed up by a pair of Vz. 58's, some SKS's, and the GTW pistol is a SP-01 Tactical.  Its a better shooter than my SIG ever was in my hands.
SGT, CAV
OEF1, OIF 1&2

Offline bigmatt17073

In a SHTF situation having a few of most common calibers would seem to make more sense. You would be more likely to find ammo if you had to "hunt" for it so maybe .22lr, 12ga, 5.56, .308, and 9mm.  But, if SHTF really happened I wouldn't want to carry around a huge pile of guns and various calibers. I would probably bring two 9mm handguns, an AR15 in 5.56, 12 gauge Semi auto shotgun, and maybe a .22lr rifle and handgun.

But, what is much more likely to happen would be another gun ban scare. On that note having more calibers does make more sense to me. During the last panic it was (and still) is very hard to find many calibers of handgun and rifle ammo. I personally plan to diversify calibers some in order to be able to find ammo when I am out looking for some. This way if I can't find .22lr or 9mm I can still find .45, .38 spl, or .357 mag for example. Currently, I have guns in 9mm, .22lr, 5.56/.223, .308, .35 Remington, 12 gauge, 16 gauge, .38 spl, and .357 mag. In the future I could see myself adding guns in 9mm Mak, .380, 7.62x39, .45, 30-30, and .30-06.

anything