Author Topic: CZ-75 LEAD RELOADING SUPER THREAD  (Read 18419 times)

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: CZ-75 LEAD RELOADING SUPER THREAD
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
It still doesn't neck turn or take the burr out of the flashhole.  Or trickle charge the powder to the exact weight.

Plus those presses are for people who don't ENJOY reloading.  I don't just enjoy the process of load development or shooting...I also enjoy the process of reloading itself.  I find it relaxing.  Same with bullet casting.  Why would I buy an automatic casting machine when I ENJOY pouring lead into cavities?

Give me another 20 years and I may tell you differently, but right now I have no desire to upgrade presses.

Offline nicky

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
I'm just looking into reloading now. The progressive looks awesome to get a hell of a lot of ammo to shoot. But my thinking is that after learning the basics & I'm confident in what i"m doing that I might want to try to find the Holly Grail of a 45ACP or a 9 mm. Who knows. that's why I'm leaning towards a turret. I want to keep my options open. Is there anything wrong with my thinking?

papaairbear

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I think your logic is right.  Your turret press will serve you well into your advanced reloading and once you find a need to reload lots of ammo (for competition shooting?) you can buy a progressive.  And keep the turret for load development as JLJ indicated earlier.  It's been said before, but, welcome aboard! 

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
Is there anything wrong with my thinking?

Personally, I think it's very logical.
"Live long and prosper."

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »
....I might want to try to find the Holly Grail of a 45ACP or a 9 mm. Who knows. that's why I'm leaning towards a turret. I want to keep my options open. Is there anything wrong with my thinking?

Nicky -
Just a gentle nudge here. There are "traditional turrets", like Lyman and Redding, and there is the Lee semi-progressive "turret". They are not similar in any way. You need to be far more specific about what you're referring to because there are users of both types on this forum, and they operate in totally different ways.

OK ?  ;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline nicky

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 04:56:35 AM »
Got ya Wobbly. I'm learning a little every day.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »
Got ya Wobbly. I'm learning a little every day.

That's OK, and you're learning. No harm done, and you're not alone. I assume from your description you're referring to the Lee turret series?

In a "traditional" turret, the static turret hold numerous dies above a single-stage ram. Traditionally, the user does all his sizing on the first die in a batch process. IOW, if there were 50 rounds in the batch, then all 50 would get "sized". Then the turret is manually progressed to the position holding the second die, and the process is repeated on 50 cases. The safety is enhanced becasue all 50 cases can be visually inspected to have similar powder levels before bullets are seated.

Lee has come up with the idea of a "semi-progressive turret" in which you load one cartridge case and the turret automatically advances (in full-function mode) offering the 2nd die to the same cartridge case. In this way each cartridge travels under 4 die positions and is completed before leaving the press. The process is quicker than a traditional turret becasue the constant handling of cases is ommited. It is not a true progressive press because you still pull the op lever 4 times to complete a single cartridge, whereas a real progressive creates a completed round with every single op lever pull.

So with Lee's implementation, the output is higher only becasue handling and arranging the cases 3 separate times is ommited.

Follow that ?  ;)

Offline nicky

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »
Yes, that was crystal clear. But if one chose to they could individually examine a cartridge in each step with the "semi progressive"?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
Yes.

The auto advance turret can be disabled in a few seconds,  and the turret can be advanced by hand or not, as the reloader chooses.
For higher volume pistol reloading the auto advance is really beneficial.
ALL presses of any kind have a LEARNING CURVE to efficiently produce consistent ammunition.  The more gizmos and gadgets the higher the learning curve.
Select and See videos:  http://ultimatereloader.com/

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Yes, that was crystal clear. But if one chose to they could individually examine a cartridge in each step with the "semi progressive"?

Yes, you can remove the cartridge from the shell holder at any time with a Lee turret press to inspect it.  I do to inspect the primer and inspect the powder charge.  You can also mount a LED light on the press to shine down into the case so you don't have to remove it from the shell holder to inspect a powder charge.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »
That's a nice way to start. The Lee turrets allow you to run in single-stage mode (with the advance defeated) while you learn the reloading process. (That's about 50 rounds per hour output.) Then, when you feel comfortable with the process, you can re-install the advance mechanism and get a boost in output that will take you to maybe 100 rounds per hour or more.

The only real down side is that the Lee 'Classic Cast Turret', the one everyone thinks is best, is that it may not be sold in a starter kit. I see notes both ways when I Google "classic cast".

;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
Here is one sample of LEE Classic "KIT" with the Pro Powder disk system (best):  http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23840

The draw-back with a kit are the small items you may not need or want.  The plus is usually some $$ saved,  and being "ready to load" upon arrival.
The LEE balance beam scale comes with "kits" and is often a PITA to set up; but it is extremely accurate.  An O'haus :505 or Dillon version of the same (Eliminator) are very good powder scales  and "eventually you would prefer one.  Just starting out, or as stubborn as I am,  the LEE scale will suffice for any "pistol loads".

Offline painter

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 06:13:54 AM »
That's a nice way to start. The Lee turrets allow you to run in single-stage mode (with the advance defeated) while you learn the reloading process. (That's about 50 rounds per hour output.) Then, when you feel comfortable with the process, you can re-install the advance mechanism and get a boost in output that will take you to maybe 100 rounds per hour or more.

The only real down side is that the Lee 'Classic Cast Turret', the one everyone thinks is best, is that it may not be sold in a starter kit. I see notes both ways when I Google "classic cast".

;)
Graf's sells the Classic press in a kit.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23840
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline funkyhunky

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
WOOO Finally got my gun!!!! Did not expect pulling the slide back to be as difficult as it is lol!

I am ordering my reloading stuff now:

Lee Classic kit (classic turret, auto primer, pro powder measure/riser, book, other stuff I may never use)
Lee 9mm 4 die set
Lyman 9mm M die
Lee 120-TC 6 mold
Lee 420 Melting Pot 

Anything obvious I'm missing?

Now I just have to find a site with primers and powders in stock, are they normally this hard to find? I think I'll check out my LGS first cuz I dont plan on buying enough to make that annoying hazmat fee worth it.

Are there any primer brands I should avoid for 9mm loads?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:12:10 PM by funkyhunky »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
Now I just have to find a site with primers and powders in stock, are they normally this hard to find?

Only when the Narcissist-in-Chief opens his mouth.   ;D