Author Topic: Painting the Front Sight on a vz.82  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
Re: Painting the Front Sight on a vz.82
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
Between "CZs are good" and "OSU sucks," we have a fare amount in common.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
Plus, we might be the only ones here who know a "ramp" from a "bubbler".  ;D  Prost!

Offline Skookum

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
Hhmmm.  I grew up in a small dairy town in west-central WI.  In Madtown "bubbler" is what the kids from Noo Yawk called a water fountain.  A ramp, everywhere I've lived, is just an inclined plane.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but then I left a few brain cells back in Madtown.
Skookum

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
A bubbler is a water cooler and a ramp is a parking garage. You obviously need some cheese curds!   ;D

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
In Seattle, where I grew up, a bubbler was a particular type of water fountain that always ran, and the water only "bubbled" up an inch or so straight up. You pretty much has to kiss it to drink from it. Unsanitary....

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Offline Skookum

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
I never heard "bubbler" until college, and it was only the Noo Yawkers who used the term.  They also called "pop" "soda," a word I've since adopted for some reason.  I can't recall hearing "bubbler" in western WA, despite having lived here for a quarter century.  "Bubbler" is normal useage in Hoosierland?  Was Indiana settled by Noo Yawkers?

I vaguely recall hearing "ramp" used to describe a parking lot, but I can't recall where.  On Hollywood-produced TV shows?  The little dairy town I grew up in had no parking garage.

Cheese curds ? proof of God's existence!  Somewhat rare out here.

Skookum

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
Seriously? I was under the impression that bubbler and ramp were both 'sconsin-speak. I learned them both from our son-in-law, who's from the big city of Waunakee.

The best fried cheese curds I've ever had were at Curly's Pub up at Lambeau.  ;) 

Offline Skookum

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
Isn't Waunakee a suburb of Madtown?  If so, their lingo may be polluted by Noo Yawkers.
Skookum

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Yeah, Waunakee is just a bit north of Madison. Nice little village. That's where our daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids live now. Wish it was a bit closer, but it's certainly preferable to Bolingbrook, Illinois, which is where they first lived.

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »
When I was growing up there were only a few bubblers (ie the specific type of water fountain I described) left. I think they were all gone by the time I moved down here in 1984, so I'm not surprised somebody living up three now wouldn't have heard of them.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
The ones which I've heard referred to as bubblers in Wisconsin are the ones with the big glass (or plastic) upside-down container of water. The water "bubbles" when you draw some out of the faucet at the bottom. Pretty descriptive, actually.

Offline oldRed

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
In daylight, photopic vision, using the cones in the retina, is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 550 nm, which is green:

When adapted to dark, scotopic vision, using the rods in the retina, is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 507 nm, which is blue-green:

The best groups I ever shot bar none were with a vz.82 with the tip of the front sight and the 2 dots on the rear sight painted with Glow-On a florescent Europium paint that's white with light green cast then fluoresces a bit lighter than ideal color for the dark adapted eye but will glow brightly for 2 or 3 minutes giving my old eyes time to empty a magazine with sights I can clearly see if I wear the glasses I use for the computer and use a 2 inch red paste on target as a bulls-eye on a black background inside 20 yards. I see the sights shapely and shoot at a fuzzy red ball and have several targets with 4 shots under an inch and a flier from 2 to 4 inches from flinching, bad trigger control .....

I have several colors of Europium powers and Paint to play with.

I learned that one day when I accidentally when took the wrong glasses to the range. I sure wish I could get it to work the other way round. Maybe cataract surgery will help some. It sure helped my wife's shooting. It sure seemed easy shooting running Jack Rabbits with 22 shorts 55 years ago, not any more.

I wonder if a Ghost Ring sight would help?

Red

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Would this be the stuff?  http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

Offline chaplaincolby

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
Oldred, I'm curious, how does the light sensitive graph look for someone whose vision is red and green deficient?

Offline Skookum

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
[H]ow does the light sensitive graph look for someone whose vision is red and green deficient?

In this chart, which shows sensitivity to light by the four different types of photoreceptors we have:  rods (for scotopic vision), and three kinds of cones (for photopic vision) ? long wavelength (red), medium wavelength (green), and short wavelength (blue).  Note that the x-axis in this chart is reversed from those above. Blue cones have their peak sensitivity in indigo; green cones in green; and, red cones in yellow (greenish yellow?).  Rods are most sensitive to cyan or blueish green.

In the most common form of color blindness, red-green, the green cone sensitivity is shifted in the direction of the red.  How much, I don't know, and it may vary, but it's enough to preclude an ability to discern the difference in the two colors.  The peak sensitivities of normal green and red cones are close to the integrated photopic peak at about 550 nm.  Thus, I'm guessing the red-green colorblind eye will still be fairly sensitive to green, but likely peaks in the yellow.

Skookum

anything