Author Topic: am I reading this right?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Litomysl94

am I reading this right?
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
Taking my VZ 61 to the range today for the first time.  I have read the manual, and it says to move the safety from "0" to "1" (single shots) before cocking the gun.  My usual procedure on a firearm (rifle or pistol) is to cock it with the safety on.  Is there a reason why the VZ 61 needs to be cocked with the safety off, or does it matter?  I realize this might be a quirk in translation from Czech.

TIA for replies.

aisniper

Re: am I reading this right?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Funny, I just had mine at the range yesterday for the first time and completely forgot about that...I was like "What the hell"! I then remembered what you just said. No info as to why it's like this but I just thought it was funny...I did the same thing!

Offline Litomysl94

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
I realized that I have the military manual (in Czech), so I took a look at it.  It says the same thing ... turn the safety to fire before cocking.  So, it isn't a mistranslation in the short English manual that came with the pistol.

Offline nalioth

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
Having no idea how the Vz61 works, I do know there are a few military designs where the engaged safety poses a locking condition on the works, and cocking the weapon with the safety engaged can bend or break something if done with enough force.

Military weapon designs tend not to be "lawyer friendly".

Nalioth's service awards

Offline Litomysl94

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
I'll answer my own question ... according to this video (in Czech), the pistol cannot be cocked with the safety on.  This is the way the pistol is designed.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
Does it fire from an open bolt? If it does, that may explain it.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Litomysl94

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Widge, I don't even know how to answer that question.  I'm showing my ignorance.   ;)

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 03:31:14 AM »
Does it fire from an open bolt? If it does, that may explain it.

The vz. 61 is a closed bolt system but I see where you're going with that line of thought. The open-bolt M60 machine gun requires the operator to place the safety lever on "F" as the first step and in order to pull the charging handle to the rear. That usually accounts for a few "No Go's" at the test station for proper procedure to clear the old M60.  ;D