Author Topic: Failed Recoil Lug/Trigger Guard on CZ-82  (Read 2365 times)

Offline TJvzor70

Failed Recoil Lug/Trigger Guard on CZ-82
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
No sooner did I start participating on this forum and I had a structural failure of a part on my CZ-82.  Up until now this has been my favorite milsurp pistol.  I was shooting my the pistol today with Russian Novosibirsk current production ammo today when the recoil lug on the trigger guard sheared off and jammed the pistol. It looks like the part was a bit brittle, but this ammo felt fairly stout as well. This part looks like a casting, and castings can fail from stress corrosion over time. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm looking for a part as I write this.  Any assistance will be appreciated

Offline 2huge

• "Who knew it would feel so good to miss so much?"
Re: Failed Recoil Lug/Trigger Guard on CZ-82
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
The deadly LVE strikes again. It killed 2 CZ82 grips on my guns, and I've heard of one other '82 it kaboomed- I'm sure if you look through the posts you will find it. I don't like how hot it is, I was planning on selling it off. I bought a 1,000 rounds myself.
.22;7.62x25;7.62x39;7.62x54r;9x17;9x18;9x19;.357;.45acp;410/45lc;20g;12g

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
Coincidentally, that's what I was shooting when mine bulged its barrel.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Offline TJvzor70

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
I bought quite a bit of this ammo from AIM Surplus about mid 2013.  Since I'm going to have to retire the CZ-82 for a while until I can get a part, I installed an extra power recoil spring in my commercial Makarov (IJ-70A) and I'm bringing it out of retirement to try it with the Russian ammo.  I have been unable to find a part online for the CZ-82 at this time.  I also have a Hungarian PA-63 and a Polish P-64, both with extra power recoil springs that I may try with the Novosibirsk (LVE) ammo as well. 

Offline il.bill

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
...  I'm looking for a part as I write this.  Any assistance will be appreciated

Good luck with your repairs.  Here is a new replacement trigger guard from CZ-USA http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0340033102_Trigger-Guard-Squared-83.  The broken pistol is a bummer, but fixing your own firearm is a rewarding part of the shooting hobby.

Last February I bought 1500 LVE for 25 cents per round - thought I had found a bargain, but now I am not so sure.  It does seem to be a pretty hot load.  I have only run less than a box through my military surplus CZ82's (got caught up in revolver shooting fun, reloading for .38 special, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .45 Colt - it's a hoot!) but now I am a bit concerned by what I am reading.  Do you folks think some extra power recoil springs would be a good CZ82 investment?

Offline TJvzor70

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
I have bought several springs for other handguns through Wolff Springs but they only had factory standard springs back then for the CZ-82.  It looks like they have  a choice now.  It might be a good idea to have the extra power springs for heavy loads.  Looking at the front part of this broken recoil lug, it appears to have some shiny marks on it as if it took a couple pretty stout licks during firing.  The original load for the CZ-82 was a special high velocity round (70 grain bimetal, I think) at over 1200 fps velocity.  I guess we have to remember these pistols are over 30 years old and some things are going to break. I could have had a slightly weakened recoil spring in my piece.  I have personally fired a few thousand rounds through it since I bought it.  Who knows what kind of use it had during the cold war.   

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/82%20%26%2083/cID1/mID16/dID92

Offline Hurryin Hoosier

• US Army (Retired)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
The only thing in which I've used the LVE ammo is one of my Pistolet Makarovas. Didn't really notice it being particularly "hot", but it was God-awfull dirty.

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »
Heavier recoil springs are a good idea anyway as you can balance felt recoil against slide effort.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Offline TJvzor70

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
With CZ-USA's help and the proper parts, I was able to successfully repair the broken trigger guard on my CZ-82 surplus pistol.  The gun looks more like a CZ-83 as a result, but I am pleased, as I could find no surplus part for this pistol. 

Offline il.bill

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Another job well done - happy shooting!

Did you also install a stouter recoil spring?

Offline TJvzor70

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
I put a new factory standard recoil spring in and replaced several other springs.  However, I plan to order two increased power recoil springs from Wolff (16 and 18lb).  In addition, I'm switching ammo to a Barnaul Silver Bear which seems to be a little milder in my Russian Makarov pistol. 

Offline cwsumner

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
The lug on the trigger guard takes the impact of the slide. It usually has no problems because it is backed up by the frame behind it. But, if the frame surface is not smooth it can stress the lug tremendosly.

Check the frame surface, that is behind the lug when it is closed. See if it has a burr, or if there is anything stuck to it. If so, it could break your new trigger guard.

If there is something stuck there, it might not be hard to get it off.

HTH

anything