Author Topic: Good bullet for .40 p07  (Read 302 times)

Offline joedirt199

Good bullet for .40 p07
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
having a hard time getting a good load for my .40 p07. Tried plated 165, coated lead 180 and 155, swc, plain lead. I get a potential good combo during testing and go make more, then those shoot like poop. I have tons of different powders so if someone has a recipe that works that would be great. Not over crimping, using mostly once fired pickup brass from our dept range.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:30:18 AM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods fixed language »
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Good bullet for .40 p07
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
For cheap/easy I use Missouri Bullet Co. 140 lead or coated lead bullets with Herco (yeah, old timey shotgun/pistol powder, I know).  Not sure of the charge without looking at the reloading logbook.

For muzzle blast, recoil and small groups I use Nosler 135 grain hollow points with Blue Dot powder (yeah, another old timey shotgun powder and at one time somewhat popular in .357 magnums).

Neither are max loads but I'd have to check the logbook for the exact load data.

I do know I can seat both bullets out to a longer COL with the P07 vs. the CZ75B or the Tactical Sport.  Again, you'd have to check your P07 to see if it's as "long" in the throat as mine.  Of course another factor is if you load only for the P07 but for other CZ .40's as well.  My P09 .40 can also use the longer cartridges but it must be a P07/P09 thing.

I've been trying some 180's for other pistols.  If I find something that shoots good in those I'll try the P07 with them.

I will say the other pistols (FNS .40 and M&P .40) do not do well with the 135 Noslers or the 140 grain Missouri Bullet Co. bullets all my CZ's shoot so well.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:54 PM »
Was thinking of going lighter than 155. Sucks because my duty glock likes the 180s but I have 2 5-gallon bucks of .40 brass and hate to have it just sitting around. I have an extra 9mm barrel sitting around so may just throw it in a go if I can't get it to shoot. I don't really feel my lee factory crimp doing much till it hits the adjustable crimp so I don't think it is sizing the bullets down too much.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:55 AM »
I've bought heavier bullets (155's, 180's, maybe 165's??) for load development but up to this point I end up buying a new pistol and working on loads for it instead of the P07/P09.

I've bought different powders (TG, AA#7, BE86) but no luck so far.  There's "okay" and there's "dog gone it that thing shoots good groups."  I like the second one.

Good luck with your load development.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »
First of all, as to the load...

So I got out and shot my 40 load development.  I think this is going to be my next bulk powder purchase!  Stellar accuracy, consistent powder drop, and clean burning.

Equipment:
Caliber:  40 S&W
Bullets:  American Reloading Pulled 165gr Plated
Brass:  Winchester
Powder:  Alliant Sport Pistol (5.0 gr to 5.4 gr)
Max Velocity:  1059 fps
Primer:  Federal SP Match
OAL:  1.130 inch
Pistol:  Tactical Sport Orange
Qty:  10 rounds each, slow fired two groups of 5
Distance:  10 yd
Weather:  45F and windy,  3 PM light
Chrono:  Caldwell G1

Load (gr)     Avg Vel (fps)          ST Dev (fps)          Range (fps)         Spread (in)
5.0                1004                        8.5                        22                        0.96
5.1                1015                        8.4                        20                        0.83
5.2                1032                        6.8                        17.5                     0.83
5.3                1052                        3.7                        9                          1.0
5.4                1067                        6.1                        15                        0.81  Max Load

Notes
• This powder burned fairly clean (not as clean as Maxam CSB-5 but better than Power Pistol).  I had some case soot until 5.2 gr then it was clean.  It was interesting to review the data and see the SD numbers tighten up right at the point the soot disappeared.
• I am going to load up at around 5.3 gr for USPSA major, the low ST Dev and accuracy was good (one of the groups was my fault and inflated the average)
• I didn't see any signs of pressure with any of these loads.

Cheers,
Toby

165gr does seem to the be sweet spot for 40cal at the same 1.130" OAL. When I replicated this test, I used 165gr plated from RMR for my LEO nephew. He was loving it.

• Next we need to look at technique for loading and testing. Maybe you could explain a little about those.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
Always hand weight powder, same headstamp, crimp just at bullet diameter, dillon 550, test 10 random powder drops throughout to check for consistency, table is bolted to the wall to eliminate vibrations, plunk test. I can load and shoot 1" groups with my 9mm p09, other p07, sp01 shadow, dan wesson .45. Just can't find what this .40 p07 likes. Have several powders from winchester, hodgden and some alliant, winchester primers. Always shooting off a bench with gun supported at 20 yards.

anything