Author Topic: Tactical / Decocker  (Read 2394 times)

Offline 1dog1

Tactical / Decocker
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:58:03 AM »
Good morning, Looking for some constructive feedback. I'm interested in purchasing a SP01 but having a hard time finding one. All I can get my hands on is the Tactical version with the decocker. If I plan on shooting USPSA, does the decocker become an issue? I currently own a 75B with the manual safety and have become use to using it it the lock and load from the holster. Like I said, any feedback would very much appreciated. Thank You

Offline recoilguy

Re: Tactical / Decocker
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
What kind of issue are thinking there would be?
What division are you planning on shooting in?
If you have never shot USPSA yet check the rules, you probably will not be allowed to start cocked and locked.
you can't compete in production if your pistol is in your holster locked and loaded. The decocker is perfectly legal and acceptable in production. I prefer it when competing but thats  what I am used to and I shoot production class. I guess if my first shot could be from single action I might think differently. Then you are competing against a entirely different level of gun. Are you thinking Limited or Lim10?

Really your question is a good one just without enough info to actually answer you.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline emjei

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
It makes weight....

Fits in the box

And It looks good.....why Not ??

Offline 1dog1

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
You're correct, I left allot out there. I went back and looked at the rules. I would be shooting Production so I would be starting out with the hammer down / DA. My other firearms are all manual safety so I guess I'm just used to that feature. Reading throughout the forum I've notice people saying if you went with the Tactical it would be difficult to get a trigger job done, so that scared me off a little bit. Also, with the SP-01 I think I can upgrade to the Shadow version with parts from CZ Custom. Like I said, any input would be appreciated, especially being a newbie.

Offline glockmeister

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
I shoot a SP-01 with Safety in USPSA Production class.  You can chamber a round, however, you have to start with hammer down.  The only way to do this is to pull the trigger and using your off hand, hold the hammer and let it down VERY gently.  It always scares the crap out of me.  If you don't want to do that, you can load a mag, NOT chamber a round, and leave the hammer down.  When the buzzer goes off, you'll need to chamber your round.  Of course, this "slows" you down. 

I just bought a SP-01 Tactical with decocker so I can continue to shoot production class without manually dropping the hammer.   The saftey SP-01 is being converted to SAO and I am going to shoot use it for limited class now.  With that said, I am going to compete with a different class of firearms and shooters...but I don't really care how I do.  I  am jsut out having fun. 

Offline glockmeister

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
You're correct, I left allot out there. I went back and looked at the rules. I would be shooting Production so I would be starting out with the hammer down / DA. My other firearms are all manual safety so I guess I'm just used to that feature. Reading throughout the forum I've notice people saying if you went with the Tactical it would be difficult to get a trigger job done, so that scared me off a little bit. Also, with the SP-01 I think I can upgrade to the Shadow version with parts from CZ Custom. Like I said, any input would be appreciated, especially being a newbie.

I just completed a DIY trigger job on the Tactical.  I ordered parts from CGW and polished the internals.  By no means am I a qualified gunsmith...more like a FUNsmith at the kitchen table.   Anyway, read the posts by various folks here.  A lot of instructional posts and videos.  I was able to do it in about 4 hours time, going very slowly.  Took it out the range and LOVED IT!!

The parts I ordered from CGW were:  13# hammer spring, firing pin, reduced power firing pin spring, reduced power firing pin block spring, reduced power trigger return spring, CGW modified lifter and of course any replacment pins.  The factory pins take a beating when removing, so I replaced them with CGW pins (trigger, hammer, firing pin retaining pin)  I also ordered up a CZ Customer race hammer, which allows you to stay in prodcution class. 

If you have any other quesitons, feel free to PM me.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »

I shot a 75B with a manual saftey for a year in production until I found a SP-01 Tactical, now I also own the 75BD I like the decocker that much. It wasn't so much that manually letting the hammer down scared me but it did make a couple RO's a bit nervous. I practiced it and it was something I concentrated on everytime I did it.

The Tac for production is hard to beat man in my opinion. The decocker is legal, safe and easy to wrap your brain around when you are making ready. The SP-01 is a great shooting gun and trigger jobs on the tac can be done and make the gun butter to shoot. I would suggest getting one and not to be afraid.

CG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline 1dog1

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the input.......for the hell of it I put a note up on the general discussion board. The more I think about it, it is the safer way to go.

Offline glockmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the input.......for the hell of it I put a note up on the general discussion board. The more I think about it, it is the safer way to go.

Doing a trigger job on the tac vs saftey model is pretty much the same.  The only real difference is the components in the sear cage.  Other than that, pretty much the same thing. 

Offline emjei

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
The only thing you CANT have in the Decocker is the short reset the non firing ping block guns have.....besides that is the same

My Tactical has better trigger than most friend's Shadows ....David Millan @ Cajun Gun Works does a niceeeee job

Offline BGlas

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
The only thing you CANT have in the Decocker is the short reset the non firing ping block guns have.....besides that is the same

My Tactical has better trigger than most friend's Shadows ....David Millan @ Cajun Gun Works does a niceeeee job

Why not?  I have the short reset in my P-01 w/ decocker...  It's pretty sweet.
You could also remove the FPB if you really want to ( I don't).

Offline emjei

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »

Why not?  I have the short reset in my P-01 w/ decocker...  It's pretty sweet.
You could also remove the FPB if you really want to ( I don't).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I also have the short reset in mine but......have you tried the short reset and SA pre travel in a non firing pin block gun  such a Shadow ????.....its 1911 style