Author Topic: Help! failure to eject.  (Read 1055 times)

Offline ratimus

Help! failure to eject.
« on: February 03, 2003, 11:20:24 AM »
Hello!

I am new to this forum. Nice to have a place to ask questions.
I recently purchased a new PCR.
I have put around 400 rounds through it with new Winchester FMJ 115gr ammo.
I experienced 3 failures to eject casing midway through my firing at around 300+ round mark.
I was told at the gunshop I bought from that the shorter CZ guns may need a little hotter ammo to function more reliably.
Should I write this off as break-in period or should I upgrade to different spring or ammo?
Gun is very accurate.
I have other full size cz's and never experienced any malfunctions from them with same ammo, so I am a little worried.:(

Thanks for help.

Unregistered(d)

Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 02:51:41 PM »
I have had the same problem with my new PCR 02. I'm going to mark each mag with different colored tape to see if it's a mag problem and stop shooting CCI/Blazer since this was the ammo I had problems with. I wish both of us luck. Let me know through this post if you find a definitive problem, as I will also.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 05:28:32 PM »
Was this the 100 ct. Value Pack Winchester USA ammo sold at Wal-Mart?  If so, it is the ammo.  Compare the extraction groove on the case to virtually any other brand/type of 9mm, and you will see why you are having problems.  (It is easier to see than try to explain.)  

Quote:
I was told at the gunshop I bought from that the shorter CZ guns may need a little hotter ammo to function more reliably.

That is quite possible; I really don't have any experience with the PCR, Compact, or P-01.  The Winchester USA that comes in the Value Packs (but not so much the 50 ct. boxes) can be quite anemic.  This ammo was pretty good when it was first introduced in the older packaging; the last few boxes that I have bought (newer packaging) have been disappointing.
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline CZNE

Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 07:16:16 PM »
This is interesting because I recently shot 600 rounds of Winchester value pack ammo through my PCR and my Compact and had no failures to extract.  The Compact was operating with a factory recoil spring that was in need of change and the PCR had a new 18 lb Wolff recoil spring in it.  I was using one 14 round compact hi cap mag with factory spring, one 10 round mag with Wolff +5, and one full size high cap with factory spring and one full size high cap with a Wolff +5.  

I've had some slide lock back problems with the PCR that I've been working on but I've removed metal from the slide stop and hopefully have that under control.  I've also shot UMC ammo, Federal, American Eagle, 300 rounds of cheap Cabella's reloads and other odds and ends (no Blazer) and never had a failure to extract with either weapon.  

FEG is right, try some different ammo, maybe S&B if you can find it or a box of American Eagle.  Keeping track of mags is also a good idea while trouble shooting.  Clean the gun up good including the chamber, then take it out and shoot the heck out of it to see if it still has that problem.  I don't really see a mag causing a failure to extract but I'm not that much of an expert either.  If the problem continues then perhaps there is another problem.  

ut83 will prob. have some thoughts on this.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 08:50:19 PM »
I should have been a bit more clear.  Some individual CZ pistols have problems with the Value Pack Win USA extraction groove; most don't.  AFAIK, it isn't model specific.  Several new 75BD owners have had this problem.  On the pistols that have troubles extracting it, it doesn't happen all of the time.  However, it's a pain even if it happens only once every fifty rounds or so.  

None of my 75s have this problem, but I mostly use these cases for hotter reloads (at least, hotter than Win USA).  I may never buy new brass again at the rate I find the Win USA cases.  I picked up over a hundred on Sunday...
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline ratimus

Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 09:10:29 PM »
I am back
Mags don't make a difference.:rolleyes
I tried shooting a heck of a mixed cocktail without a repeat failure.
I think you hit the nail on the head with win usa walmart ammo.
Guess i'll shoot something different. Any ideas?(i shoot for fun)

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted

Shoot straight!;)

Offline ut83

Help! failure to eject.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 07:01:30 AM »
Any failures before 500 rnds should be a concern but not a screaming one>>>>>make sense?  The fact that you had 300 rnds thru the gun...was the extractor dirty?  FTE rarely have anything to do with mags and more to do with how the gun is handled, ammo itself and the cleanliness/function of the extractor.
The shorter CZ's do function better with hotter ammo.....
The shorter slide can run a heavier spring than the fullsize and function the same....mine thrive on +p ammo........
Ammo is very gun specific, CZ's are bottle fed on S*B..but run on just about anything.....seriously.  Find a good target ammo that shoots how you want and your gun likes and the same for a good JHP...and shoot......
Shoot well....:smokin

anything