Author Topic: The SIG Brace, and why I am posting this here  (Read 32333 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
The SIG Brace, and why I am posting this here
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
ATFE issued an official letter yesterday about the accessory for AR style pistols known as the SIG SB-15 Stabilizing Brace, which is designed to fit on the buffer tube and allow the user to strap it across the forearm to provide a more stable platform to shoot an AR style or other "rifle" styled pistol. This device was originally issued and said however someone misuses it is inconsequential to it's legality. The official letter from ATFE yesterday stated very matter of factly that all previous letters are null and void, and that anyone who uses the SIG brace, by name, as a shoulder stock, has created an NFA firearm requiring a Form 1 and transfer tax.Due to this report, CZF will request that all members do NOT post pictures of their EVOs or BREN 805 pistols with SIG Brace "shouldered", do not "poke the bear" as it were, since ATFE agents are now fully aware they can prosecute based on this ruling.Wait for a test case to make it's way through the courts, as it will very likely be the one that knocks a large part of NFA '34 into the dustbin of history, but unless you have unlimited Soros style resources, I wouldn't go volunteering for that trip. The forum also doesn't have those resources if ATFE decided that we allowed/promoted photos of illegal content on our pages. I realize there are a ton of photos out there of people with the Brace in place, including on CZ-USA home page, all done prior to yesterday - I am referring to new ones from today on, taken to do the "in your face, ATFE!" Do that on Facebook. In the meantime we wait for the official ruling if the EVO and BREN 805 pistols can be legally registered as Short Barreled Rifles, which I am hoping for, which will allow us to have an NFA section at last, and to see if our US Congress has the stones to challenge ATFE on this nonsensical ruling. Please respect this request, and I thank all members for their support.

Link to the ATFE letter,
http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/breaking-11615-atf-issues-open-letter-declaring-the-shouldering-of-sig-brace-illegal/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:26:16 PM by armoredman »

Offline RSR

Re: The SIG Brace, and why I am posting this here
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
Any further word on the 922r parts from CZ-USA to legally achieve a SBR configuration/registration?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »
Not yet, hoping we hear something soon, but I'm expecting a six month wait, seems to be ATFE's usual wait time.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Farside457

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »
I love how they write a "letter" and bam laws change seems very tolitarian to me... No vote no voice my way or the highway. But I'm sure im not the only one to notice

Offline itchinesu

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:50:26 PM »
the whole concept of usage taking precedence over design is absurd. by the same logic, trying to fire a 1911 wedged against your shoulder magically turns it into an SBR.

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »
Hello. I was speaking to an FFL dealer and he mentioned something to the effect that all AR style pistols and similar firearms may be made illegal by years end.  He said he was certain it will happen.  I am curious if there has been any news about this that I can read up on.
Thanks

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »
So where have you been hiding? This stuff has been in the news for months. They're talking about it constantly. Will they be banned? I wouldn't bet on it there is growing opposition but it does sound like your guy with the ffl is looking too sell some AR's
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:23:35 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
So where have you been hiding? This tuff has been in the news for months. They're talking about it constantly. Will they be banned? I wouldn't bet on it there is growing opposition but it does sound like your guy with the ffl is looking too sell some AR's
Good question! LOL
I know that the gun control advocates want to rid the streets of AR style firearms for years.  And yes there is a lot of opposition building, but Biden keeps getting his appointees in regardless of how bad they are.  At least it seems that way to me.  I agree with you. The guy was also a little radical. Definitely more right leaning than I am.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 10:26:37 AM »
So where have you been hiding? This tuff has been in the news for months. They're talking about it constantly. Will they be banned? I wouldn't bet on it there is growing opposition but it does sound like your guy with the ffl is looking too sell some AR's
Good question! LOL
I know that the gun control advocates want to rid the streets of AR style firearms for years.  And yes there is a lot of opposition building, but Biden keeps getting his appointees in regardless of how bad they are.  At least it seems that way to me.  I agree with you. The guy was also a little radical. Definitely more right leaning than I am.
I lean a long way right myself but being practical I just don't think they're going to get away with the sweeping changes they hope for. I talk to alot of dealers in my area and they would all have us believe we need to be grabbing all we can right now and what a great time to do it while prices are through the roof!

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
Just remember even during the Clinton assault weapon ban era large scale gun confiscation was never seriously on the table or enacted. If you had one you kept it. Yes some states made it harder, but it was doable most places. Eventually we got through that and here we are in golden age of modern sporting rifles. This time I think it will be even harder to enact legislation on them as a class. There are so many more people that own and enjoy them. A more diverse demographic and political base that are now owners who do not want their gun ownership privileges restrained. All of us together will be pushing against any restrictions on the AR pistol category specifically along with manufacturers. Sig has filed against the ATF concerning the pistol stock in the past and, I would image, do so again to keep their patent and profits alive.

Worse case owners will need to swap out to 16” OAL barrel length or go old school and use a buffer stock/sling setup. At least until we get through all this.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline RSR

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »
Just remember even during the Clinton assault weapon ban era large scale gun confiscation was never seriously on the table or enacted. If you had one you kept it. Yes some states made it harder, but it was doable most places. Eventually we got through that and here we are in golden age of modern sporting rifles. This time I think it will be even harder to enact legislation on them as a class. There are so many more people that own and enjoy them. A more diverse demographic and political base that are now owners who do not want their gun ownership privileges restrained. All of us together will be pushing against any restrictions on the AR pistol category specifically along with manufacturers. Sig has filed against the ATF concerning the pistol stock in the past and, I would image, do so again to keep their patent and profits alive.

Worse case owners will need to swap out to 16” OAL barrel length or go old school and use a buffer stock/sling setup. At least until we get through all this.

I don't think Democrats of today and Clinton years are analogous. 

I also think Biden Admin will wait until after the 2022 Elections before acting, but I think they will act and it'll require litigation to rollback.  What happens while various weapons/configurations are in purgatory/illegal via executive fiat is TBD.  But imagine it'll probably resemble the slidefire ban...

Offline JamesCC

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 01:04:24 AM »
I think these next few years will only
Get worse

Offline Gunhand

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
 I think Biden and his crew have a couple of things going against them. The biggest is the fact that in 1994, The Treasury Department set a precedence about re-classifying weapons on to the NFA. The Secretary of the Treasury designated the "Street sweeper" and USAS 12 shotguns as Destructive Devices, and ordered them to be placed on the NFA. To accomplish that, they allowed owners of those weapons to apply to the NFA for tax stamps, but were not charged the $200.00. So if suddenly the ATF classifies all pistols with braces as SBR's they will almost assuredly have to let us do that free of charge. The changing of the barrel approach is OK for some weapons system, but others will be problematic at best, and cause a true financial hardship on law abiding citizens who legally purchased these weapons in their current state.

The other problem ATF has in doing this is political backlash. Within days of this proposed ruling coming out, 48 Senators signed a letter to ATF to reconsider the fact they may be instantly turning law abiding citizens into felons with the stroke of a pen. And that it could severely impact any future budgets ATF may be looking for. Granted, not a majority in the Senate, but I believe that if this was railroaded on the American people, there will be Democrat Senators that would join with Republicans to make life very hard for ATF.

Again, these are strictly my observations. We'll all just have to wait and see.

anything