Author Topic: CZ 97 Grips  (Read 16445 times)

Offline DaveB

CZ 97 Grips
« on: April 29, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
Hi all,

I'v been working on making some grips for my CZ97BD on my cnc mill and I finally got the program dialed in. I have big hands and the slim flat aluminum grips that came with it felt like crap. It always felt like I was just holding it by the front and backstrap. The grips that I made are about .080" wider than the originals and 3d contoured. The overall grip width is now the same as my 1911 with VZ grips. What do you guys think?

Black linen micarta

Natural linen micarta

Bead blasted green canvas micarta

Bocote wood

Profile shot

Dave

Offline nicky

Re: CZ 97 Grips
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »
     Nice job.

Offline jsigone

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:19:24 PM »
those look great!!!!

Offline Jake G

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Are you going to offer some for sale?  I'd be interested in some, especially if you did a thumb cut to reach the mag release like you see on 1911's.

Offline Bultaco

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
From one big handed guy to another, WELL DONE! I like rounding or palm swell when I can get it. 

Offline DaveB

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Thanks guys! Still trying to figure out which ones I'm going to keep. So far I'm leaning toward the green canvas. The beadblasting on them brings out the texture from the canvas and makes them really grippy.

Jake G:   I'm thinking of selling some sets. As for the scallop for mag release reach, I'm not a big fan of those but I know a lot of people like them. You mean something like the scallop on the VZ operator 2 right? I can try and scallop one of the scrap prototypes with a drum sander and see how it comes out.

Couple more pics:

Dave

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
Nice , they are even thicker than the rubber grips (1.270). I might be interested in acquiring a pair if you end up producing some for sale.

Thank you for all of the pics.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Jake G

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I have an original 85 combat may release I fitted to my 97 making the mag release a little longer. I have XL size hands and Lo get fingers and can run any small frame CZ without moving my hand for any function. On the 97 Im good with aluminum grips but I don't like them. The rubber grips are great but I can't hit the mag release 100% in live fire and rapid reloads.  I could do the mod myself for all that matters.

Offline Bishop112

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:24 AM »
Very nice!

Offline whitecap

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
Your grips are absolutely beautiful. You have a CNC mill, WOW :D. What is the material the grips are made from? Very nice work on the programing. OH man this is goin viral.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
I'll take a pair in the light brown and black.  My starting point is the rubber grips and I add JB-Weld from there, LOL.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline DaveB

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Whitecap:  The materials that I used are micarta and bocote wood. The bocote is similar to cocobolo, and I believe it comes from south america. The micarta is what they used to use for PC boards and other things before fiberglass g10. It's made from layers of either paper, linen cloth or canvas material bonded together with a phenolic resin.

I did a quick experiment with one of the scrap grips and made a mag release relief scallop. Looks a little funky with the deep checkering but it does make it a little easier to get to the button. I also have some other texture patterns drawn up in cad but I haven't machined them. I guess if there's enough demand I could experiment with different things.

Dave

Couple more pics:

Scallop experiment

Black linen micarta on the mill before checkering

Offline Jake G

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
Definitely interested as I stated above. I like the green/black but even black would be fine.  These will be for competition.  I would want a texture that gave a bit of grip, which your pattern may already do? 

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Hi Jake.  The checkering is pretty grippy but if you want the most traction or "grippiness" the canvas micarta is the way to go. It's very grippy especially if your hands get sweaty. I only have green right now in the canvas micarta but im going to try and get some black canvas next week. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to sell them. I guess I need to get my post count up if I want to put them on the classified section of this site.

Dave

Offline Tok36

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 08:00:10 PM »
Hi Jake.  The checkering is pretty grippy but if you want the most traction or "grippiness" the canvas micarta is the way to go. It's very grippy especially if your hands get sweaty. I only have green right now in the canvas micarta but im going to try and get some black canvas next week. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to sell them. I guess I need to get my post count up if I want to put them on the classified section of this site.

Dave

Welcoming people in the New Members sub forum is a good place to add to your post count. I look forward to seeing pricing and material options once you get things figured out.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)