Author Topic: Why didn't CZ just import with a non threaded barrel?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline GA Jack

Why didn't CZ just import with a non threaded barrel?
« on: May 17, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
Would a non-threaded barrel have saved everyone a giant headache?

Context:  I did not realize it, but Beretta imports their CX4 carbine (pistol grip, butt stock, etc etc) but do not thread the barrel so it stays in the "sporting" category.  Apparently threading the barrel then subjects it to 922r.

Cliff Notes:

-  Import CZ EVO Pistol with non threaded barrel
-  People can then convert to SBR without 922r problems

Or am I missing something?

Edit:  Maybe the CX4 bizarre "thumb hole grip"  is what helps as well. I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:40:50 PM by GA Jack »

Offline fordemti

Re: Why didn't CZ just import with a non threaded barrel?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
The CX4 has the thumbhole stock. Therefore, it has no pistol grip. It also takes mags through the pistol grip area. Another "sporting purpose" directive I believe. And no threaded barrel is the icing on the cake. Totally different animals.

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
The CX4 has the thumbhole stock. Therefore, it has no pistol grip. It also takes mags through the pistol grip area. Another "sporting purpose" directive I believe. And no threaded barrel is the icing on the cake. Totally different animals.

Ok gotcha.  I'm not super familiar with the intricacies of the importing laws.  Only when I need to make my personal items 922r compliant do I know the details.

Offline fordemti

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
No problem. It's the same deal with the HK usc and HK sl8. They were imported with non threaded barrels, thumbhole stocks and 10 round mags due to the Clinton ban at the time. However, they'd still have to be imported the same way today. Except they'd be able to accept standard capacity magazines now.

Offline DDNC

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
The EVO is imported as a pistol.  Pistols are not subject to 922r. ANY firearm of non domestic origin made to be fired from the shoulder will fall under 992 compliance.
This moronic rule was instituted with the AWB and was to prohibit complete rifles from being constructed domestically from foreign parts kits. Hence, the no greater than 10 part section.
The threaded barrel, pistol grip, etc. were indices of the AWB not 922 regs. In states that still have AWB rules these ridiculous stipulations are still in effect.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:27:21 PM by DDNC »

Offline Hammerdown3512

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »
to answer the OPs title question:

because they didnt want poor Hammerdown to have to pay to have the barrel threaded for the Octane he has coming for his Scorpion....  :P 8) O0

in other words... im glad its threaded..... even if its an odd thread.

Offline RSR

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
Pretty sure they can also weld on a thread cover and make it kosher with sporting rules too, but perhaps not...

With rifles, there are a bunch of sporting requirements.  I'm not quite sure with this weapon's construction that it would be cost-effective to try that route...  But then again, maybe it would.

As for the CX4 carbine, bear in mind it uses way more polymer than I'm personally comfortable with -- including a polymer hammer!  I priced it out once and it'd be ~$250 to get the internals to a similar military grade parts, internally, as the EVO, which means they cost the same before accounting for that the CX4 will likely never offer a replacement stock, and needing to thread the barrel, etc...

anything