Author Topic: Sweet Swiss Sphinx SDP Subcompact (how's that for alliteration?)!  (Read 4838 times)

Offline jsawyer09

Greetings all. I posted this review of the Sphinx SDP Subcompact over at SigTalk, and thought some of you might be interested in some first impressions of it. I just purchased it and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend. I also wanted to give my impressions of the trigger, since I didn't cover that in the review really.
The DA pull is a bit on the heavy side, but it is really smoooooooth. It breaks cleanly without stacking whatsoever. Now the good part?the SA pull. It is about as good as any I have ever fired. Out-of-the-box, it really is like a match-grade trigger; pretty unheard of out of a non-customized pistol. It was very short and clean. Some have called it like a glass rod breaking, which is about the best I can conform and articulate as well. Just a magnificent feel to it, and allows effortless follow-up shots. I've never seen anything like it in a $900+ pistol without work on it. So, there's that. I hope anyone looking to purchase the Sphinx Compact or Subcompact can use some of this; it really is a special pistol. Cheers!

From the SigTalk review:
I just wanted to express how much I thoroughly enjoy some of the finer things in life (as do we all, duh). I don't have many, since I'm not independently wealthy; nor do I foresee myself becoming so in the near-future. But last Thursday?after reading about all of the hype for the past few months?I got to purchase one of the finer pistols available on the market and out-of-the-box: The Sphinx SDP Subcompact Alpha. I finally got to take it out today, and let me tell you this is the finest non-custom pistol I've ever shot; and though I don't have many customs nor experience with many, the Sphinx really reminds me of one in almost every way?hand-fitted, non-MIM parts (that I could detect) and just oozes quality and craftsmanship. I was about to find out just how much so.

I took it to a quarry/rock pit nearby that was once owned by my father-in-law's best friend. It's a great place to shoot in the summer. So, this mother is so tight, I had a scare right off the bat. After inserting the first magazine, I fired the first shot...then nothing. The slide was locked back about an inch and the cartridge would stick in-battery. I ejected it and fired the next shot?again, same thing. I had to just barely pull back the slide, maybe a half-inch so the cartridge would feed properly into battery. This happened through two magazines in exactly this same fashion. I knew the tolerances were tight, but I've never had any firearm do this. Either that, or I was beginning to think this was a lemon; or maybe it was the ammo (Freedom Munitions 115gr. FMJ?but I love this ammo, and so does every one of my pistols!).

Round 2: Inserted the third magazine (they hold 13 rounds, BTW), drew and fired. By luck or coincidence, I focused my eye on the slide quick and all was fine...ready to pull in SA mode. I fired again...same. After 150 rounds?flawless; it never did it again. This thing is a machine. A really fine-tuned precision piece. I fired most from 7 yards, about four mags from 10 yards, then at an estimated 60 feet (it seemed about as far from a pitching rubber to home plate distance-wise). After composing myself from the possibility of having a pistol with issues, then concentrating as usual, this baby just wore ragged holes in the same 2-3 inch spot at 7 and 10 yards, save for a couple of flyers that drifted off the mark, but still stayed in the circle. Not really all that certain how I was doing that.
At the longest distance, I was hitting the same type groups but around 3 inches; however, the pattern went from lower right bullseye region across and left. I have to say all-in-all I was pretty happy from that distance, since I'm not exactly a sharpshooter. I may have to adjust the rear sight a bit for windage, but just a hair. I felt I was starting off a hair right of center and had to consciously adjust left and fire. Also, I felt my hold at first needed some getting used to with this pistol. While the ergonomics are nearly without competition, I had to remember this is a so-called subcompact and get comfortable with my grip. After a few magazines I was able to figure it out.

After all of that, I must say that this might just very well be my finest pistol. I simply cannot get over the quality of gun you get for around $900 and some change. I am confident that there is not a pistol on the market out-of-the-box that can touch this, even for a few hundred more. I have read online and on other forums how some folks just bash the price of a 'CZ clone'. Until one actually sees it in person, feels it and shoots this thing, it occurred to me very quickly that these people didn't know what they were pontificating about. It may share some CZ qualities, which is a good thing; but I tell you from inside-and-out and fit 'n finish?they couldn't be any different. I keep hearing Swiss precision and so on. The thing is it's all true. IMO, I honestly am shocked Sphinx (or Kriss, the importer) doesn't charge more. I purchased my first M11-A1 for close to the same price (and let's face it, there are lots of others out there in this ballpark), and while it has been my declarative favorite pistol, it isn't really all that close to this kind of fitment, quality parts and attention to detail. The Sphinx is ridiculous.

The Compact and Subcompact models have been quite talked about lately; it's what pushed me over the edge to buy one. If anyone is thinking about it or is on the fence?get off, go out and get it. You simply will not be disappointed. All hail the Sphinx!
CZ P-01 • CZ SP-01 Tactical

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet Swiss Sphinx SDP Subcompact (how's that for alliteration?)!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
Nice!  8)  Thanx for posting!  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline jfremder

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:22:19 AM »
Technetarmory.com has the sub compact with a safari land custom holster on sale for $879

Offline jsawyer09

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
Technetarmory.com has the sub compact with a safari land custom holster on sale for $879
That's a nice price. Thanks for sharing.

Offline zen

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
My Sphinx was so tight I sent it back fearing just the situation you stated.  I usually rack my guns 300 times and dry fire to break them in and practice getting used to controls. 

I will be making sure ammo goes in and out of the chamber first just dropping rounds into the barrel to feel and see they go in easily and then racking them into chamber with the slide and ejecting them after taking the mag out to see that the ejector likes the ammo.

Can never be too careful

Offline AVG

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »
My subcompact will be back from Kriss this Thursday. I will have to wait to shoot it this weekend. FedEx does not show over here till the late afternoon. I am hoping that the right repair was made :-)

Offline AVG

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
The gun is back but the problem is still their  >:(
Received my Sphinx subcompact today that was back for repair. The repair sheet states that the barrel was replaced, Pivot and RH decocker polished
feed ramp. What was done did not solve the problem. If you load  9mm ammo and release the slide and want to unload this live round you are unable to
eject the round this was with Federal 115gr. FMJ and other brands. I had to get my son a LEO to help me to pull back the slide to remove the live round. If you do a drop test with the barrel for Speer Gold Dot 147gr. 9mm  the round does not go into the chamber to the right depth in the chamber. This is the same thing that the first barrel did if they did really change it. This drop test I have done with eight different brands of ammo only four that work in this gun.. I have 17 Sigs, 5 CZ?s, H&K?s , S&W?s none of these guns do what this gun does with the ammo.

Offline bjenkins

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
I have several CZs all with the CGWs upgrades and truly love them. But went ahead and purchased the Sphinx compact the other day and will say the fit and finish is really nice. The reset is unbelievable, but did go ahead and order the springs for upgrade from David to finish it off. Oh and first time out shot 200 WWB and was flawless. Would highly recommend.

Offline jsawyer09

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »
I had my Subcompact sent back to Kriss, just to be safe, because I was having similar issues that have been reported by AVG and others. It arrived today (only took 4 weeks). I have detailed the issue and what Kriss had replaced on SigTalk today. Needless to say after over 150 rounds of various FMJ and +P rounds, it ran flawless thus far.

I also picked up an SDP Compact last Thursday from my LGS; haven't had a chance to get it out yet, but will over the weekend. Both are just exceptional, top-of-the-line production pistols. Maybe someday I will contact David, too.

Offline twowheels

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
I bought a subcompact late last year.  I was slow to test it but it had FTRB problems.  The barrel seemed out of spec tight and it had what looked like radial machining striations.  I sent Kriss USA 3 emails without an answer and just left it in the safe.  However, about a month ago I sent another email, which was quickly answered.  Kriss emailed a shipping label.  I sent it in and after a couple weeks received the gun back a week ago.  The document included with the pistol said "warranty repair."  Upon examination, the barrel was either changed or reamed.  The chamber is now to spec and the first 200 rounds through the gun went perfect.  I will test it some more but I am expecting 100% function.  It is a beautiful weapon and seems accurate with excellent function and ergos (with some grip tape on the front and back strap).  I bought it as an IDPA BUG and a reasonable high capacity compact carry piece with left hand decocker function and it is now fitting the bill.  It seems like Kriss USA has some teething issues with Sphinx but is now getting it together.  For me, it seems that patience and persistence is paying off.   

Offline relladog

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
I have a Compact and a Subcompact. The Compact has run 100% from day one but the Sub needed to go back to Sphinx.

From what I have gathered there is a point in production where the specs of the Subcompact were too tight. 99% of the ones I have heard about having feeding issues like people are describing were corrected by replacing the barrel and the slide stop.

Mine went back and had the barrel, slide lock, guide rod and the pivot pin. They also replaced the rear sight for me which had a tooling mark. The customer service side was great. IIRC it was door to door with a call tag paid for by them in 15 days. The gun runs 100% now.

They are super tight guns and IMHO a huge upgrade over a CZ and right out of the box are as good or better than the best CZ customs. The only thing they need is a CGW spring kit to lower the DA a bit. You can also use Wolf 16lb or 17lb springs depending on the gun.

Offline PalmBeach1

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
I have a Compact and a Subcompact. The Compact has run 100% from day one but the Sub needed to go back to Sphinx.

From what I have gathered there is a point in production where the specs of the Subcompact were too tight. 99% of the ones I have heard about having feeding issues like people are describing were corrected by replacing the barrel and the slide stop.

Mine went back and had the barrel, slide lock, guide rod and the pivot pin. They also replaced the rear sight for me which had a tooling mark. The customer service side was great. IIRC it was door to door with a call tag paid for by them in 15 days. The gun runs 100% now.

They are super tight guns and IMHO a huge upgrade over a CZ and right out of the box are as good or better than the best CZ customs. The only thing they need is a CGW spring kit to lower the DA a bit. You can also use Wolf 16lb or 17lb springs depending on the gun.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with several things.

I had some issues with my compact, specifically POA versus POI. While the groups were as tight as I expected from it, the POI was consistently 2" Left and 3" down from POA. While you can adjust the rear sight for left and right, there are no adjustments for shooting low, other than holding it much higher than normal POA.

Thinking this could be an issue with the way I was shooting the gun, I had several good friends who shoot marginally better than me, and all experienced the same issue.

Calling Kriss was easy as you said, but they originally asked that I pay shipping back, which is contrary to everything I have been told. When I spoke with CS after receiving the RA, they relented and agreed to pay for the shipping, but for whatever reason, you could tell it was begrudgingly so.

Haven't heard anything back, but honestly, do not expect to hear anything for several weeks.

Sorry, but the way it comes out of the box cannot hold a candle to my Accu-Shadow. While I wouldn't expect it to, I certainly wouldn't say the SDP Compact is as good or better than the best CZ Customs.

DA pull is nothing to right home about. SA is OK, but the reset and take-up are not even close to the Accu. Is it good, but not an Accu by any means.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:39:21 PM by PalmBeach1 »

Offline gregshake2

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
They wouldn't pay my shipping on my subcompact I didn't argue just wanted my high gun fixed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything