Author Topic: MecGar mag issue with SP-01  (Read 5248 times)

Offline paulys55

MecGar mag issue with SP-01
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:43:40 AM »
Just got two new MecGar mags from Greg Cote LLC (great company by the way). The mags are 17 RD 9mm AFC MGCZ7517AFC and 19 RD 9mm +2 AFC MGCZ7519AFC. Shooting a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm with CGW Pro Package. Ammo was Federal 115gr FMJ brass and some Federal 147gr HST JHP.  Took the two new mags and the two factory mags to the range today. Factory mags shot flawlessly. The new MecGar mags both had the exact same issue. The first round would fire but the trigger would not reset (slide fully returned, hammer cocked but trigger still depressed). I have the recoil spring package from CGW but still have the factory recoil spring in the pistol, haven't had time yet to play around with different weights. Just wondering if it is a matter of the recoil spring not being matched to the lighter target loads I was shooting but that wouldn't explain why the factory mags had no issues. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:37:45 AM by paulys55 »
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm Cajunized

Offline Tok36

Re: MecGar mag issue with SP-01
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:03 AM »
It is possible that the magazine body is jamming up the trigger bar. I would disassemble the pistol and inspect the trigger bar. With the slide off, insert a magazine, cycle the pistol and take a look inside and see what is going on. I would avoid letting the hammer drop with the slide off, it dose not do a pistol any good.

You mentioned that the factory mags function well so you can use them for comparison.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:17:05 AM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
If what Tok suggested doesn't show the problem,   then replace a Mec-Gar Followers with a the CZ Follower and recheck with the slide back on.
Just a thought.

Offline LeftHook05

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:34:19 PM »
I have an Accu Shadow, bought 6 MecGar 17 rounders and 1 of them doesn't even fit properly going into the gun and it doesn't fall free either. It seems like the body of the magazine is what is getting stuck on something just based off of the excessive wear on the surface of the mag. Do you notice whether or not the two MecGar's you have require excessive force to fully insert or do they get held up when you hit the mag-release? Forewarning, I can't get MecGar to answer my emails, answer their phone, or call me back after leaving messages so the pretty much have garbage customer service, but maybe the place you bought them from can assist you if you can't find a fix.

Offline biglou13

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
Just got two new MecGar mags from Greg Cote LLC (great company by the way). The mags are 17 RD 9mm AFC MGCZ7517AFC and 19 RD 9mm +2 AFC MGCZ7519AFC. Shooting a CZ 75 SP-01 with CGW Pro Package. Ammo was Federal 115gr FMJ brass and some Federal 147gr HST JHP.  Took the two new mags and the two factory mags to the range today. Factory mags shot flawlessly. The new MecGar mags both had the exact same issue. The first round would fire but the trigger would not reset (slide fully returned, hammer cocked but trigger still depressed). I have the recoil spring package from CGW but still have the factory recoil spring in the pistol, haven't had time yet to play around with different weights. Just wondering if it is a matter of the recoil spring not being matched to the lighter target loads I was shooting but that wouldn't explain why the factory mags had no issues. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

im having same issue!!! with spo1 tactical
problem only revealed after changing to RP Trs.   reduced power trigger spring ( i think)

mec gars worked flawlessly prior to change.   mec gars did work prior to tuning frame......

i have basically done all mods minus 14 m lifter and disco.

its hard to tell where mag interference is but it definitely something.....

i'm going to tweak the trigger bar spring tommorow an see if that works, i have a replacement ordered.

will trigger reset if you pull down on mag?

what ever is causing interference is very slight.    i can tap frame and it will reset. or it will reset in slow motion.

have you done all the  standard reset testing? 

ill be emailng greg tommorow. i got mine from him also......

I doubt its recoil spring.... ive traded between 11  and 14 same issue with mec gars

i have started tuning a mag,   trying to get it to similar specs a stock...... filing and squeezing

my primary hypothesis right now  is that,   mag is seating too high. caused by hole that the Mag release locks into is out of spec. 

im going to go at it again tomorrow .... keep me up to date with your progress
SP-01 work in progress
Colt Special Combat Government (previous owner tuned)
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives

Offline paulys55

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. Like I said, I'm fairly new to shooting and guns in general. I've looked at the mags closely and there are definitely some differences in the Mec Gars and the stock mags. The followers are slightly different and on the back top of the mag body (right behind the follower), the stock mags have a concave (half-moon like) cutout where the Mec Gars just go straight across. Was thinking of maybe grinding down the Mecs to match the factory. I've been crazy busy with work lately so I haven't had time to play around or test anything yet.

@biglou13 : mine is also the Tactical version. I am definitely not ready to mess with the trigger bar spring with my limited experience so hopefully that is not the issue.
                    Haven't tried to see if pulling down on the mag resets. Do you mean just putting tension on the mag or releasing it slightly? Even when I dropped the mags, the trigger still did not reset.
                    The Mags did drop freely though. What are the "standard reset testing" methods you mentioned?
@LeftHook05 : the mags seem to insert and release just as the factory ones do. I do notice that the triangular recessed part (not sure of the proper terminology here) on the upper sides of the Mec Gar
                       mags are slightly different size and shape, not sure if that matters.
@1SOW : I'm not sure the CZ follower will fit the Mec Gar mag, I was looking at that last night and they seem to have a slightly different profile when I look straight down on them. I will give it a try
                tonight and report back.
@Tok36 : when you say "cycle the pistol" without the slide on and without letting the hammer drop, are you saying pull the trigger but have my thumb on the hammer so it doesn't drop at full
                speed or am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks again for all the help guys. Wondering if this is an issue with compitability between the MecGar mags and a specific CGW mod or is it happening with all Tactical versions?

Offline schmeky

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
Based on the feedback and what we have observed lately, something seems to be up with Mecgar overall.  Customer service has been less than stellar, and we have been seeing some issues with the latest batch of Mecgars in CZ's and Caniks.

Sounds like a QA/QC issue at the factory. 

Offline biglou13

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Trigger reset tests.     UNLOADED and SAFE... Slide off. Pull trigger  hold trigger in,  follow hammer up do not let it slam...pull hammer back press down on trigger bar,   You should hear audible click  Release trigger..

Your are basically .   Resetting trigger as action of slide would do

Do same with different mags and mags out.

With grips off.  Now do the same.  Check to see if trigger bar return springs are riding in grove of bottom of trigger bar.     Sometimes the jump out completely or slightly.  Run finger  down trigger bar to see if Curly/ hook part of trigger bar is not in line with trigger bar , proud.

With dental pic move trigger bar spring from under trigger bar.
Observe "hooks". They should be equal and approx 1/8 in above bar. 
You should be able to reseat spring with finger...

Also with slide off and grips off see if you can find interference.

It sounds like trigger bar/ spring issue

How did you get gun to reset after dropping mag?

Sound like you only having issues from single action/ reset?

Does gun fire / function when pulling trigger in double action?

Does slide lock back on empty mag?

The mec gar mags definitely have different shape than stock!?   The shoulder transition is sharper.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:50:21 PM by biglou13 »
SP-01 work in progress
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives

Offline biglou13

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
Based on the feedback and what we have observed lately, something seems to be up with Mecgar overall.  Customer service has been less than stellar, and we have been seeing some issues with the latest batch of Mecgars in CZ's and Caniks.

Sounds like a QA/QC issue at the factory.

Thanks for feed back Dave.   I'm one of the guys whose been calling you.....

My latest theory is mec gar mags are seating too high... Causing problems

Odd part is I didn't have issues before I changed to. Rp trs. 
SP-01 work in progress
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives

Offline Tok36

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »

@Tok36 : when you say "cycle the pistol" without the slide on and without letting the hammer drop, are you saying pull the trigger but have my thumb on the hammer so it doesn't drop at full
                speed or am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks again for all the help guys. Wondering if this is an issue with compatibility between the MecGar mags and a specific CGW mod or is it happening with all Tactical versions?

Yes, the idea is to reproduce the malfunction with the slide off so you can observe the trigger bar and or any other parts that may be contributing to the malfunction. You can do it with the mags that work, then with the problem mags and look for any differences in function.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »
The CGW RP-TRS can cause a sluggish reset or non-reset if the trigger bar is dragging on the mag, or if the trigger bar support spring ends are interfering with the mag body.  Obviously the mag should clear the trigger bar, as should the trigger return spring.

We have not had any issues with the RP-TRS for years.  So it's interesting issues are popping up. 

Offline biglou13

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »
its definitely not the RP TRS

im sure its the mec gar  magazines causing the issues
im sure that they are slightly out of spec
since stock mags run 100%

the stock trigger spring  + 1/2 pound   masked the drag issue/ flaw with mec gar magazines.   
SP-01 work in progress
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
paulys55,  since yours are recent purchases from Greg Cote,  I'd email him and ask if others have complained of problems with their mags similar to yours.  Greg Cote is a great guy and won't "bull" you.

Offline paulys55

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
paulys55,  since yours are recent purchases from Greg Cote,  I'd email him and ask if others have complained of problems with their mags similar to yours.  Greg Cote is a great guy and won't "bull" you.

I will definitely do that. Like I said, I'm a new shooter so I wanted to check in here first to make sure it wasn't user error or something else not mag related. Thanks. Will report back.

Offline biglou13

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
" Even when I dropped the mags, the trigger still did not reset"

This points in the direction of trigger bar/ sling issues.....    Does this happen with both stock and MeC gars....
SP-01 work in progress
m-4gery
mossy 500 cruiser
sticks and knives