Author Topic: New to the forum and the 97BD  (Read 1642 times)

Offline 45 Fanatic

New to the forum and the 97BD
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
Hello all. I've been looking for a new 45 to go with my 1911s (3), SR45, and Walther PPQ 45.
I wanted another steel frame gun, as they just feel right, so researched the 97. This sight and the info put me over the top. Thanks for the great info.

Got the 97BD for Christmas. I like it a lot. Accuracy is good, very good for a new pistol. About 1.5 to 2 inches at 30 ft (off-hand) with my reloads. My best 1911 does 1 inch at that distance, so definitely gonna turn out great with break-in and tuning. I'm a tinkerer.

One issue I had was that the slide would drop when inserting the mag with authority. Any ideas on this.

Thanks for the info and looking forward to learning more about the CZ world.
George

Offline BDG

Re: New to the forum and the 97BD
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »
Hello 45 Fan,
Welcome aboard.
The magazine induced force closure of the locked back slide seems to happen sporadically throughout  the CZ line of 75 and 97 pistols, perhaps others as well. My 97BD and SP01 will do it with a full magazine and very firm mag insert most of the time. My P01 has not done it yet.
The slide has always stripped and fed the top round into full battery so I've never considered it a problem. It is a little alarming the first few times it happens but you begin to expect it and work with it.

Offline bigdipper

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:33:40 AM »
I have only had my new 97B to the range twice....    This happens on my 97B, but  it has never happened on my SP-01, or my TS.  I have many more rounds through the SP-01 and TS.

Online tekarra

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Welcome aboard George.

Offline 45 Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info.
No biggie on the slide issue. Been shooting for 45 years. It'll take more than that to to make me wince.
If it turns out to be a controllable action, I'll definitely incorporate it into my shooting.
Now I need to save up for some CGW parts. This could become a competition gun for me.

Thanks again,
George

Offline 45 Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
Quick question guys.
Does Cz or CGW make an extended slide release?
 My short thumb can't reach that far :)
I've seen about everything else for the 97.

Thanks
George

Offline Chris B

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:02:12 AM »
Not positive n this, but I think the SP-01 slide release can work on the 97b.  Been looking at that myself, after David installs the bushing conversion.  You definitely want to get the extended mag release from the SP, just have to dremel it down to a cylinder.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
45 Fanatic,

The 9mm SP-01 slide release will work fine, but only after your modify the internal mag follower extension.  You have to cut this area back and re-contour for it to work properly. 

If you merely install the slide stop unmodified, the nose of the .45 round will be pushed to the RH side and pistol will not run at all.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
You just might look at the CZ Clone area and consider the SAR K2 45, patterned even more closely to the 75. Double stack 14 round magazine and as soft shooting (and accurate IMHO) as the 97 at a much lower price. Adjustable rear sight and chromed barrel don't hurt either. Not as many after market gewgaws but stock is pretty darn good, especially at the low price. Might not hurt to have a look.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

anything