Author Topic: CZ-82 starting FTF with Hornady Critical Defense  (Read 3765 times)

Offline JKale2923

CZ-82 starting FTF with Hornady Critical Defense
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
I have a CZ-82 and a week or so ago I popped off 2 magazines of Hornady Critical Defense ammo with no issues. I followed up with some ball ammo with no issues either. Then I tried some Hornady Custom and had a couple FTF issues. I figured it was the ammo so I took it home, cleaned it and loaded up 13 rounds of Critical Defense. Today I was out in the wilderness and saw the opportunity to pop off a few rounds. To my surprise, I must have had 5 or 6 FTF issues with the ammo I thought was optimal. All I can think of is the last time I cleaned it, I only used CLP and left it very wet. Is this a problem with CZ-82's? Or....I had just replaced the recoil spring with a 16 pounder. Does it matter which way that slides on? I am thinking maybe I installed it backwards? Today I took it home and cleaned it the old fashioned way with Hoppe's and just wiped everything down with a remoil cleaning patch afterwards plus I reversed how to installed the spring. Any idea what else I could try? I know I used a magazine that previously worked, but ordered new magazines and magazine springs anyway. I would be interested to know if Hornady ammo has caused anyone else issues?

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
Re: CZ-82 starting FTF with Hornady Critical Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
The mystery to my is how you had a good day with it. Love my CZ-82 but I have yet to find a hollow point that it will feed reliably. It *really* prefers FMJ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:40:04 AM »
well I rechecked my magazines and noticed the one that did not fire well today does not have an X stamped on it like the others nor does it pop out and back in quite as easily as the others. I am thinking it is possible somehow I passed over the magazine I used today last week when I had a good day. The only other possible difference is the way I cleaned it. I didn't use an CLP this time and only left a light trace of oil on the rails. I am used to cleaning ARs and used to running them wet. Maybe the CZs like to run dryer?? I will try and get to the range tomorrow and see how it does with other mags and less lube. I was just discouraged today because I thought Hornady Critical Defense was the perfect carry round and like you I love my CZ-82. I was hoping to at least use it as a car gun.

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
Well after shooting today I am going to have to start thinking my CZ did not like the heavy CLP cleaning I gave it the other day. Today I took my CZ-82 to the range after a Hoppe's cleaning followed by a light coat of remoil and I loaded another magazine up and popped off 12 shots without an issue. I loaded another mag with Silver Bear ball ammo and that fired 12 times. On my 3rd magazine I had a couple instances where the slide locked open before the magazine was empty, but that was easily cleared by pressing the slide release. I filled a couple more magazines with ball ammo and did have the slide release lock open before the mag was empty a couple of times, but my performance was much better than yesterday, with every other round failing to feed. No more CLP on my CZ.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:14:31 PM »
I have not tried JHP ammo, but my CZ82/83 pistols have always been lubed with Breakfree CLP and run flawlessly. They run a full box of 50 each time.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
CZ-82 starting FTF with Hornady Critical Defense
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
On my 3rd magazine I had a couple instances where the slide locked open before the magazine was empty, but that was easily cleared by pressing the slide release. I filled a couple more magazines with ball ammo and did have the slide release lock open before the mag was empty a couple of times,

Double check the spring tension on the slide lock/release. It could be loose allowing the lock to jump up in recoil. I had to tweak mine, when I got the same symptoms you are talking about.

Also check your grip, you might be engaging it unintentionally.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »
On my 3rd magazine I had a couple instances where the slide locked open before the magazine was empty, but that was easily cleared by pressing the slide release. I filled a couple more magazines with ball ammo and did have the slide release lock open before the mag was empty a couple of times,

Double check the spring tension on the slide lock/release. It could be loose allowing the lock to jump up in recoil. I had to tweak mine, when I got the same symptoms you are talking about.

Also check your grip, you might be engaging it unintentionally.

Thanks, how do I even get to the slide lock spring? I have the pistol broken down now with the grips off, I do not see how to get to the slide lock spring. I do not think it I the grips, I tightened them down firmly before I went shooting today. I had read an article where someone thought loose grips were causing the slide to lock. I must say I certainly have learned a lot about my CZ with this issue. Today I cleaned it better than it was probably ever cleaned before. I took out the extractor and firing pin.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
Look for an exploded diagram for the spring. It's like a straight wire with a small hook on the end if I recall. Needs to be straight. Mine was bent just a little such that the catch wasn't held down out of the way securely. There should be tension holding it down.

I meant your thumb could be raising the catch, not the grips.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
Look for an exploded diagram for the spring. It's like a straight wire with a small hook on the end if I recall. Needs to be straight. Mine was bent just a little such that the catch wasn't held down out of the way securely. There should be tension holding it down.

I meant your thumb could be raising the catch, not the grips.

Thanks, I will look.....I had heard my thumb could cause the issue, so I was very careful to hold my right thumb down with my left far away from the slide release. I do not think it was my thumb.

BTW, when I first got my CZ-82 I was advised to swap out the recoil spring so I got the kit from WOLFF and first replaced it with the 14.5 lb, spring. I had a few jams after that so I installed the 16 pounder. I still have an 18 lb. spring. Which spring do you use>

Offline tpelle

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
My opinion regarding swapping springs is this:  Do you think that some guy that you've not met in person and who's opinion you have only read on the internet, and about whom you have no clue to his real world experience or other credintials, knows more than the engineers that designed and tested the gun in the first place?  As well as that of the military and police who deployed and used the gun for 10+ years?

I'd put the stock spring back in, or if I felt it needed replacing I'd start with one of stock weight.

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »
My opinion regarding swapping springs is this:  Do you think that some guy that you've not met in person and who's opinion you have only read on the internet, and about whom you have no clue to his real world experience or other credintials, knows more than the engineers that designed and tested the gun in the first place?  As well as that of the military and police who deployed and used the gun for 10+ years?

I'd put the stock spring back in, or if I felt it needed replacing I'd start with one of stock weight.
I did have a few jams with the spring that came with the gun so I replaced it with the stock weight, 14.5 lbs. That seemed to be even worse so I went up to 16 lbs. I have read many people use 18 lbs. I am curious why unless everyone assumes bigger is better. You are correct, I would start with whatever is closest to the original designer

Offline JoePfeiffer

• Pfeiffer Family
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
I haven't heard of the springs affecting feeding. A heavier spring trades off less recoil against needing more effort to rack the slide (I run Wolff's heaviest).

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
I haven't heard of the springs affecting feeding. A heavier spring trades off less recoil against needing more effort to rack the slide (I run Wolff's heaviest).

Thanks for the reply Joe. I have more Hornady Critical Defense and some Silver Bear on order. I will try both again and evaluate each magazine closely and which ammo performs the best. I also broke down my gun properly, for the first time, and clean everything out including the firing pin area where the ejector sits. I think I will stick with my 16lb. spring for now. I have noticed a trend in researching the CZ-82s though. It seems common for people to get off 2 or 3 good magazines then start having issues after that. The same thing happened to me. I am ok with that for a self defense gun since I doubt I would need more than 12 or 13 rounds anyway, but makes it frustrating to take a shooting class.

Offline fteter

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
Three thoughts:  1) I think you have the right idea with Hoppe's and light oil.  Both my CZ-82s are much happier dry than wet.  2) Like JoePfeiffer, I have yet to find an HP round that works well with the CZ-82.  3) Stay away from 3rd party magazines...most are junk.

Offline JKale2923

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
Three thoughts:  1) I think you have the right idea with Hoppe's and light oil.  Both my CZ-82s are much happier dry than wet.  2) Like JoePfeiffer, I have yet to find an HP round that works well with the CZ-82.  3) Stay away from 3rd party magazines...most are junk.
I am finding it is easy to over lube the CZ-82. I actually have had difficulty chambering a round when the feed ramp was soaked with oil. I have been used to cleaning an AR-15 and that firearm likes to run wet, so drips of oil are not a problem. From now on I will just wipe on a thin coat of rem oil on a few key places like the rails and other metal on metal locations and make sure the excess is wiped off.