Author Topic: Arrrrrgh! Cross-threaded grip screw frame threads  (Read 10318 times)

Offline quasiXBL

Arrrrrgh! Cross-threaded grip screw frame threads
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
Looks like I've joined the stripped grip screw frame thread club. On my brand new P-01 that I've only had for a day!

I've see  a few ideas proposed in other discussions (retap/retread to larger size, put in 1911 bushings, etc.). If I want to keep the threads the same, what about replacement thread inserts like this:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-SK40310-Threaded-Stainless-Installed/dp/B0092QUMZ6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:21:07 PM by quasiXBL, Reason: cross threaded, not stripped »

Offline copemech

Re: Arrrrrgh! Stripped grip screw frame threads
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:47:26 PM »
is it totally stripped or just cross threaded? A tap may straighten what threads are remaining, if any.

I cannot recall all the fixes, yet I may be tempted to just re-tap in US thread rather than the odd metric.

Best advise will come from CGW or CZ Custom. Call David or Stuart for opinions first. Or possibly they will reply here.

Do not panic, duct tape will fix anything!(for now) O0

Offline quasiXBL

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:20:38 AM »
You're right, cross threaded is what I meant to say.

Retapping to a larger size is probably the easiest option. I think I will try the insert though. I used to do this with Helicoil inserts on motorcycle parts with great success. It'll be stronger than new, and I like the idea of keeping it in the same thread size as stock. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to post my first how-to!

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
You're right, cross threaded is what I meant to say.

Retapping to a larger size is probably the easiest option. I think I will try the insert though. I used to do this with Helicoil inserts on motorcycle parts with great success. It'll be stronger than new, and I like the idea of keeping it in the same thread size as stock. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to post my first how-to!

I would try to run a tap back through it a couple times slowly with lube to see if you can straighten it out.  I did the same for the seat bolts in my car.  Ran the tap back through a few times and fixed it.  You could do the same, then just apply a light amount of blue loctite and snug it up and let the loctite do its job. 

Or just do what you mentioned above. I would try to not alter it first.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline Lemming

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:30:13 PM »
What "odd metric", copemech.

It's you Americans that have the odd sizes. The rest of the engineering world moved on years ago :)

Sent by Jedi mind control

Offline schmeky

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »
All is not lost.  We see that pretty often.  You can get a 3.5mm x .05mm tap and generally restore the threads.  Worst case, you can mill out the old threads and install a heli-coil. 

The heli coil will put it back actually better than new since the threads will be steel instead of alum.

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
What size helicoil do you use?

Offline quasiXBL

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
Thanks Schmecky. Totally agree on Helicoil being stronger. I just ordered an EZ Lok threaded insert kit (not Helicoil brand, but similar),  M3.5-0.6, with an insert depth of 3.5mm. I measured the thickness of that part of the frame to be about 5mm. The next size up in depth would have been 5.25mm, which would have been too much. Will do a write-up next week.

Offline copemech

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:51:12 PM »

It's you Americans that have the odd sizes. The rest of the engineering world moved on years ago :)

I have worked on metric cars and bike for about 45 years now. I find 3.5mm x.6 an odd thread. Not sure what part of the planet you live on. :o

Offline copemech

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:50 PM »
Thanks Schmecky. Totally agree on Helicoil being stronger. I just ordered an EZ Lok threaded insert kit (not Helicoil brand, but similar),  M3.5-0.6, with an insert depth of 3.5mm. I measured the thickness of that part of the frame to be about 5mm. The next size up in depth would have been 5.25mm, which would have been too much. Will do a write-up next week.

I would be inclined to go with the longer as you may easily take the tail of the insert to a cutoff disc on a dremel to grind it down a bit prior to install and achieve full thread depth and have things flush.

But that is me.

Offline painter

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »

I have worked on metric cars and bike for about 45 years now. I find 3.5mm x.6 an odd thread. Not sure what part of the planet you live on. :o
I think the .6 is a typo.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
While I've not messed with aluminum framed guns, anytime I have an aluminum part on a car (intake manifolds, heads, etc. I always use something like form a gasket on the threads to keep the steel bolts/screws from corroding/galvanizing the aluminum threads.

While not really possible here, in a car I use studs when ever possible (so I don't have to run the steel bolts in/out of the aluminum threads, but sometimes you can't use a stud and you have to use a bolt/screw.  Even then the insulation, provided by the blue form a gasket, seems to keep the steel from screwing up the aluminum threads.

If I had an aluminum framed gun, I'd try the form a gasket on the threads of the bolt just for insurance.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Lemming

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
3,5 - 0,6 is an ISO standard size. It's what you get if you walk into any common retail store in most of the world. Not odd at all. I  can buy them in at least five stores within one kilometre of my home

Offline quasiXBL

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »

I think the .6 is a typo.
Not a typo. In metric, thread pitch (distance between threads, in mm) is used -- in this case, 0.6mm between each thread . For American, threads per inch (TPI) is used.

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
3,5 - 0,6 is an ISO standard size. It's what you get if you walk into any common retail store in most of the world. Not odd at all. I  can buy them in at least five stores within one kilometre of my home

On this side of the pond, M3.5-0.6 is not a standard metric thread and there is probably not a single business within 10km of me that sells taps & dies in that thread pitch. (Yes, they can special order is from the manufacturer, but since I was the only customer in the last 25 years to ask for it, they feel justified in not stocking it.)
I don't look like my avatar!

anything