Author Topic: mag rattle  (Read 2022 times)

bullittorange

mag rattle
« on: May 02, 2002, 06:57:33 PM »
Hey folks,
Is it normal for the rounds to rattle around in the mag like they are completely loose in a new cz83 mag?  I tried to seating it and tapping the mag but it still rattles weird.  It seems like it only does it after 5 rounds or so.  DOes anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Offline ut83

mag rattle
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 04:23:35 AM »
Its completely normal...I called CZUSA and got told they may rattle unless they are full.  Mine even did it then...I replace the springs and followers...still rattled.  I guess its just the wa it is.  Shoot well

Offline Bradster

mag rattle
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 02:59:00 PM »
i believe i read somewhere that CZ83 mags rattle with .380 ammo but not with 9x18 (they use the same mags) because the mags were originally designed for the 9x18 which is a slightly larger cartridge than the .380-therefore there is a little extra room when loaded with .380 hence the rattle.sounds good to me :)

Offline ut83

mag rattle
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 08:08:19 AM »
Mine still rattle with Mak ammo...I think its just the way it is?
Shoot well

Offline MADDOG

mag rattle
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 06:52:23 PM »
That rattle tells the BG your are ready. Let them rattle.

Offline Gost

mag rattle
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 01:56:29 PM »
Mine (380 cal.) rattle as well. But It appears only with specific number of rounds loaded. Rattle starts from 8th round loaded, 9th - silence, 10th - rattle a lot, 11th - silence, 12th - rattle a little, 13th - rattle a lot. I dont like that sound, like I am wearing a tin of nails in my pocket, so carry gun with 11 rounds loaded.

Rgrds,
Gost

Offline Kevin58

mag rattle
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 09:28:15 PM »
Hey People!
               I just bought my CZ83, matte-finish, and have tried to load the mags to capacity. Well, after #6, it's "Rattle City". All the way to #10, it's rattle, rattle. If there is a fix, I would like to know. It's an awfully "cheap" sound and it detracts from the overall workmanship of an otherwise, well-made weapon. I've owned .45 ACP's that make less noise! Any input is  appreciated.

Kevin58

Offline Bompa

mag rattle
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 10:22:48 PM »
If memory serves me correctly the fix for the rattle in a double column mag is to give them a gentle squeze, with a set or pliers,in the middle  of the tube..Be carefull so as to not go too far..
Good luck...

Offline Kevin58

mag rattle
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 02:39:58 AM »
Hey Bompa,
              Thanks for the idea. I filled my mags and then gentlly squeezed with some pliers(I had cloth wrapped around it as not to scratch) and found that the rattle did indeed stop. Of course when I let go, it went back to the original rattle(when 7 or more rounds are loaded). I don't trust myself to alter the mags as I can ill-afford to be buying new ones.  If I had a bench vise to evenly compress the sides, I might feel differently. However, pliers just don't feel like the right tool. I think that CZ USA(or other reputable mag manufacturer) should make some sort of "mag insert" to take up the side slack that allows the rattle, rather than try to modify the stock mags by deforming them. Again, thanks for the idea, I appreciate any and all.

Kevin58

Offline Bompa

mag rattle
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2002, 07:05:26 AM »
Kevin I believe that when I squeezed my mags they were empty..After all one must go a bit beyond the correct point because of springback..Just be careful and it will work..As to why one gets the rattle is beyond me..Everything is under spring pressure when loaded and there should be no slop to allow the rattle..Must be Voodo..