Author Topic: NEW CZ Owner, CZ 85 Combat  (Read 3536 times)

Offline osu84

NEW CZ Owner, CZ 85 Combat
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »
Hi, I finally bit the bullet and joined the CZ world. Sold my Hi-Power and got the CZ 85 Combat. I am retired Army and a former Tulsa, OK LEO. I knew that this was going to be an issue when I got the 85C with the ambi controls but now I need a good leather OWB holster to fit my new pride and joy. Any suggestions out there? Thanks  :D

Kevin
Kevin Standfield
MSG, USA Ret
1/327 INF 101st ABN
Former Tulsa OK LEO
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
American Legion PUFL

Offline jmx66

Re: NEW CZ Owner, CZ 85 Combat
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »
Hey Kevin,
Welcome. So you sold the Hi Power? Do you miss it yet?
I never shoot mine anymore but it still makes me smile whenever I take it out to check on it.
Did you see the sticky here (that's all the help I can offer):
What holsters fit the CZ85?[/font]

Cheers,
-John

Offline steerclr

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
Enjoy.

I use a leather Bianchi #19L made for a Beretta 92.  Just loop the retention strap under the beaver tail.  Fits and works great. It enables you to carry the pistol in condition 1, 2, or 3.  Best shooting pistol I have.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-19l-thumbsnap-plain-tan-right-hand-10704.html?_iv_code=BZ-HT-19L-15522&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CMifm7HGsssCFU07gQodF3EKuQ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:25:56 PM by steerclr »

Offline osu84

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:00:21 AM »
Thanks gentlemen, I will always have a soft spot for the Hi-power and may invest in another on if the price is right :).
Kevin Standfield
MSG, USA Ret
1/327 INF 101st ABN
Former Tulsa OK LEO
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
American Legion PUFL

Offline Rhino

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »
Never sell a Browning/FN Hi Power, or any CZ 75/85/97 series pistols, and never I mean never ever sell a used Jimenez pistol if you are the 3rd+ owner.

Offline plarry

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:02:41 AM »
The M-12 military holster made for the Beretta 92 fits nicely.  Lots of surplus items around.  Not leather, but works well in a pinch or until you find what you like.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:04:22 AM by plarry »
CZ 75 bd (2) CZ 75 Retro, CZ 75 c, CZ 85 b, CZ 85 Combat

Offline osu84

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »
I bought the military holster at the gun show new for 20. Works great for a range holster.
Kevin Standfield
MSG, USA Ret
1/327 INF 101st ABN
Former Tulsa OK LEO
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
American Legion PUFL

Offline plarry

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Glad I could help; also a retired LEO, Southwest Ohio.
CZ 75 bd (2) CZ 75 Retro, CZ 75 c, CZ 85 b, CZ 85 Combat

Offline applejackson

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »
Never sell a Browning/FN Hi Power, or any CZ 75/85/97 series pistols, and never I mean never ever sell a used Jimenez pistol if you are the 3rd+ owner.

Why is that exactly? I am thinking about trying to trade in a brand new CZ 85b for a CZ A1 1911.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 04:37:17 PM »

Why is that exactly? I am thinking about trying to trade in a brand new CZ 85b for a CZ A1 1911.

Keep all CZ's and BHP's. A Jimenez is a cheap gun and if you buy it from an individual it makes a good drop gun/throw away if needed I've heard law enforcement refer to them as "alibi" guns. Little bit of dry humor, I do not condone murder or evidence tampering. 😄

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »

Unless your 85B is unfired NIB, you'll take a bath on a trade-in.  You'll get a lot more for it if you sell it yourself.  Not sure why you'd prefer a 1911 but, I think everybody should own at least one.  They're a timeless classic.  CZ makes a nice one (discontinued?) and Dan Wesson is, well...Dan Wesson.  I make my LGS keep the Silverback they have in the case to prevent me from drooling on it.  I've been tempted to trade my SIG for it but, yikes, I know I'd get hosed.  If I wanted that Silverback bad enough, I'd list my SIG on gunbroker.com for a price that would move it quickly.  Haven't done it yet and probably won't to be honest. 

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:55:34 PM by Kolholznik »

Offline msdibble

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
CZ 85b is the first gun I ever owned.  Got a great deal on a local trading board - original box with purchase date (very recent to my purchase).

I've shot a few other 9MM's - Beretta, SIG, GLOCK, ... by far the CZ 75/85 is the most accurate and feels best in your hand.
Easy to put on target, easy to stay on target...and generally hits the target.

The gun makes even ME a good shooter...

Enjoy your CZ.

Offline MikeofMD

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
Never owned a hammer-fire, all steel gun till this week. Got to run a couple hundred rounds through the CZ-85B today. I wanted to compare it to the striker fires that I have but ran out of ammo. Will get back out there tomorrow and let you know.

The handle is more full size than I have on my HK, FNS and XDM9. Still feels very comfortable, straight shoot feel with less recoil. Faster shots on target.

It's a heavier gun for sure, but very sweet shooting. I would say it's SA all the time after the first shot. Seems I can shoot more accurately from 10 yards. Doesn't shoot to the right as much as my others (I'm a lefty). Also a fairly new shooter. 10 yards is as far as I go.

Because the gun needs to be cocked before the safety can be actuated, I'm a little weary of having this as a replacement for my bedside FNS, yet.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Mike,  that pistol will shoot fast and accurately without being in the cocked and locked condition. 
Half cock is a "safe" condition and can be mastered fairly fast with regular practice.  DA can be the same with more practice.  The big benefit is draw or pick it up,  pull the trigger, bang.  Much like your striker fired experiences with zero extra complex actions.  You still have that low recoil and accurate steel platform with a better trigger.

Offline MikeofMD

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:46:42 PM »

Thanks 1SWO. I see that the half cocked position is all that needs to break the gun down. If this is the position with the safety on, I would have no problem using it with confidence as a HD gun. Just didn't want a "hair trigger" while on the table. Will try this out at the range tomorrow.

I have heard problems with fails to feed. As a new gun and a fairly new shooter, nothing went wrong. I cleaned the gun well with CLP. Wiped it all down and oiled it up with regular gun oil.

I notice that the feed ramp is not nice and shiny like my other guns (it's actually very dark). I have heard of folks using agents such as Maguire's polish (which I use on my car),dremels, etc.,  but I haven't ever changed a thing on any pistol that I have bought yet.

Leaving those changes to when I actually know what I need to do. There is no gun that I own that has ever failed me, except for the experience that I give to it, which is expansive.

Thanks for your help with the half-cocked position for putting it in safe mode.

Have noticed much lower recoil to bring the aim back on target and closer much  sooner.

Again, I will try to gauge my accuracy with my strikers against the cz tomorrow, with much more ammo. The gun was too much fun to shoot today to bring out the others. Needed to check it out for failures, and even with fast shooting, no problems!