Author Topic: CZ 85 B shooting low  (Read 1787 times)

Offline BB213

• CZ for the win!
CZ 85 B shooting low
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
I recently bought a CZ 85 B used and it is a joy to shoot ... except it shoots low. I had a friend of mine who is a better shooter than me try it out and he came to the conclusion the stock fixed sights are likely zeroed at 7 yards. I use it mostly as a competition gun at my local range's plate shoot which is at 15 yards. Putting paper out to that distance indicates my CZ seems to shoot about 5 inches (!) low. So my question is, is this even normal? Should I upgrade the sights? If so, to what? I hear mixed reviews about the LPA sights. Also don't like all-black sights.

Offline Boris_LA

Re: CZ 85 B shooting low
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
You can get taller rear sight from CZ-USA or CZCustom and many other places. OEM rear sight is usually number 4. Try to install #5 instead. I have LPA adjustable sights on two of my CZs. They are good too, but I prefer all black sights and paint the dots black on mine.

Offline BB213

• CZ for the win!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »
You haven't experienced any problems with the LPA sights? I have read about them falling apart after so much use on these forums. Also, do they work with the factory front sight?

The #5 rear, is that merely going to reduce my POA/POI discrepancy, or is it set for a particular range? What about the #6? Should I contact CZC or CZUSA about this?

How difficult is it to install a rear sight yourself and ensure it is accurate, or should I have it professionally done?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:38:47 AM by BB213 »

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
I have it on my oldest CZ75BD Police gun for over decade. Many thousands rounds through and never a problem. I also had another one on CZ75B SA problem free, until I replaced it with picatinni rear sight for use with iron and red dot sights. LPA work with OEM front sight and have enough adjustments for 115 and 124gr ammo up to 100m at very least.
Each incremental number of the rear factory sights moves POI about 2" at 50' or 4-5" at 50m. Shooting 5" low at 7yards is not normal. It may do it with front sight only without any rear sight or with wrong low profile aftermarket rear sight. Try to shoot it rested to exclude the shooters error, which is more likely to be a reason for such gross error with factory sights.

Offline BB213

• CZ for the win!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »
UPDATE: tried it out today and have concluded it is most likely me and not the gun. Bench resting produces dead-on hits, but otherwise tend to be low. After talking with the RO he suggested that being unfamiliar with a gun (which I just bought two weeks ago) can make it shoot very poorly at first.

Thanks for everyone's help anyway.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:32:06 PM »
This explains it. Recoil anticipation and unfamiliar trigger may provide the results you are seen. Forget about sight changing for a while and concentrate on your grip and shot process trying to avoid the flinch.

Offline paskeCZ

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »