Author Topic: How ammo sensitive are CZs?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline mig1nc

How ammo sensitive are CZs?
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
I saw some folks mention in the Rami troubleshooting thread that CZs don't like long loaded cartridges.

How common is it for a CZ to not like a certain round?

I've been a long time Walther shooter (P99 & PPQ series starting back in the 90s) and they eat everything.

Looking at picking up a P-01, so I'm posting this in the compacts section.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline AMM

Re: How ammo sensitive are CZs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »
I have never had a problem with any correct factory load in any of my CZ firearms. I did have one brand of factory remanufactured 9mm (Freedom Arms) that simply will not run in my SP01. However, I do not think that is necessarily  an indicator of a problem with that product;  many members give it high marks and it runs just fine in my P01s. Any manufactured product will have a range of tolerances, and I think my SP01's chamber is simply on the tight side of the bell curve.

My advice is to stick to reputable brands (or resize and reload with caution) while being aware that your individual firearm may have some tolerance-related "preferences".  FWIW I have never had any function problems with Speer, PMC, WWB, Federal or S&B factory ammo. I tend to stick with Speer Lawman TMJ for range use, but only because I use the related Gold Dots for carry.

My two P01s have run flawlessly with every load I have tried (including the Freedom Arms that my SP01 choked on).

If you scan this board I think you'll find good reccomndations from other members as well.

Cheers
Kadet II
CZ 75 Shadow SAO
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1
455FS 22LR
457 Varmint MTR 22LR
457 Training 22LR
527FS 5.56x45

Offline mig1nc

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
The distance from the headspacing step in the chamber and the beginning of the rifling is shorter in CZs than most (not all) pistols.  This means that some ammo, depending on profile, might not fully chamber and will jam the bullet into the rifling, which increases pressure unnecessarily and is not a good idea with stout-loaded defense rounds, or it will outright hold the pistol out of battery and render it useless.  This worst case scenario is not a common scenario, and most quality JHP defense ammo will work in a CZ just fine.  ALL of your commercial round nose FMJ plinking and target ammo will work just fine.

Offline Jaems

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
As already been stated, my PCR and 75B have never had any problems with ammo.  Even the HP I reloaded for my Luger and P38 back in the late 70's worked fine.  The CZ is tested with S&B factory ammo.  So you can guaranty that the S&B with work.

The folks on the Walther forum will tell you to try different brands of ammo.  To see which ones that do or do not work in your particular CZ weapon.   Try the ones that you use in your Walthers, obviously, as stated, S&B will work.

Offline johnhunter44

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
The responses I have read so far are different from my experience.  I had just gotten the cz sp01 ACCU shadow from Cz customs, and was having a few failure to feeds from my normal reloads.  Factory loads were ok. My HKs loved those reloads.  When I posted that I was having difficulty, someone posted that the CZ chamber liked longer OALs.  So I loaded a few rounds to 1.165.  My original OAL was 1.150.  After that, I have fired nearly 1000 rounds without any FTFs.  You just have to dial in the load Dara for your pistol.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
John, I just read the thread you're referencing.  You weren't told that CZ pistols like longer OALs.  You were told that if your bullet was failing to feed by jamming into the topside of the chamber, that the OAL was probably too short, and lengthening it would help.  THAT is correct, but that's not the same as saying CZ pistols like longer OALs.  That was a trouble-shooting tip for cartridges jamming on the underside of the chamber.  ;)

What the OP was referencing was the typically short CZ "throat" or leade, as I described in my previous post.  Compared to a Glock or M&P or Ruger or HK or Sig, etc., the max OAL that is capable of fully chambering with a particular bullet with a CZ is shorter than the others listed. This is a dimensional mechanical limit, and it's not about feeding reliability.  It's about the cartridge getting so long that it jams into the rifling and/or prevents the slide from going all the way into battery and/or pushes the bullet further into the case (setback), all three effects of which are undesirable, and these happen despite that fact that the cartridge fed into the chamber properly.   Tuning OAL to reliable feeding is a different matter, and I wouldn't say CZ pistols like them longer than average there.  I would just say your CZ didn't like those bullets that short.  Always push test new bullets and start from there.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:03:12 PM by IDescribe »

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »
When I bought some Freedom Munitions 147gr SuperMatch hollow point ammo, I tried the "plunk test" with a 75B?, 75B Compact and 2075 RAMI. No success when trying to spin the cartridge, so it will all be fed to the Rugers (who do like it).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:02 AM »
I made the mistake of buying 2 boxes of Ten Ring ammo at the local Academy one day last fall. I normally get their Monarch Brass made by Prvi that runs well in all my pistols. My P-01 had several cycling problems with the X-Ring, but has run everything else I've put in it. I later went on Academy's website and saw that 10 out of 16 reviewers gave it the lowest rating, so I definitely don't think it was the CZ, or that it's necessarily ammo sensitive.
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

Offline copemech

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:48:58 AM »
It is not the commercial practice ammo in 115 ball(ogive) that gives issues, it is the longer 147's and the defense ammo with a truncated cone design that give the majority of issues.

You should ck these very carefully prior to purchase.

Take your barrel to the store!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 05:37:32 AM »
it is the longer 147's and the defense ammo with a truncated cone design and similar profiles that give the majority of issues.

You should ck these very carefully prior to purchase.

Take your barrel to the store!

And to be clear, most don't cause problems.  Just a few.  If you are buying in person, take your barrel into the store and do the plunk & spin test.

I can tell you that I have had no problem with Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Duty, Winchester PDX1, Barnes, and Nosler Defense.  No problem at all, and my 75 Shadowline's throat is shallower than most.  Commercial RN FMJ is going to be fine.

Offline K31

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
Ran all major brands of ammo thru sp 01, from 115 to 147 and never had any issue, when I started reloading I was warned not to use the standard go / no go gauge as it would allow for the OAL to be to long, and that turned out to be true, my OAL on my reloads is 1.10, with a flat nosed 147 Ploy Coated Lead bullet....accuracy has been excellent....as for a general comment on the my CZ SP01, unstoppable! I shoot a lot of competition and it amazes me to watch guns costing twice as much have major problems, as for the accuracy...I can not out shoot it. Good Luck.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
The only ammunition my 2003 .40 75b won't digest is Blazer Brass. Anything else, brass, aluminum, or steel, work just fine
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline William_Broadus

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
My SP-01 CGW pistol works fine with 147g reloads ranging in the 1.145-1.148 OAL range: Atlanta Arms,  Freedom and Oak Island

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

anything