Author Topic: Dot Torture Drill  (Read 10818 times)

Offline jabate01

Re: Dot Torture Drill
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
Looks like a great drill. I'll try it. As I get better, how far I move back from the target? I'll start at 3-5 yards.
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
Joe,

Those results are outstanding.  Congrats!!!

I shoot the dot torture every third time or so I shoot, and yes it really is the great humiliatior!!!

Those really are great scores.
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
Great drill, I start every range session with this one.  You'd think I'd be better at it after all that practice, but I came real close to cleaning this at 3 yards earlier this week with my Kadet Kit, missed one shot on target #5 (strong-hand only).

09182017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
I'm getting close cleaning it also at 3 yards. only 2 down. I was even able to hit #4 with a drop of sweat.  ;D

Offline baldrage

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
Another 49/50 at 3 yards with .22 kadet kit ... lost focus and missed at the same spot as last week (#5, strong-hand-only).

09262017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Nice!

Offline Yathump

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Nice job fellas
Hoping I can get to the range tomorrow and give it a try

Offline baldrage

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
Deja vu -- got another 49/50 at 3 yard with kadet kit.  Only miss was weak-hand-only (#8):

10102017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

One of these times I am going to clean this dang drill!

Offline Yathump

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »
Nice job

I've got a lot of work to do yet, failed badly with a 34
Just one of those days, was rushing and shakey as hell for some reason
I know exactly what I was doing wrong on a few shots

The P07 is awesome with the CGW parts I added though, can't wait to give it another try this weekend

Offline Deetroit

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:24 PM »
Question on the dots from holster: Do you break the shots right at full extension?  That's what I try to do as otherwise it would be just another dot  #1.  I still go slow, but don't dawdle in breaking the shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline baldrage

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »
Question on the dots from holster: Do you break the shots right at full extension?  That's what I try to do as otherwise it would be just another dot  #1.  I still go slow, but don't dawdle in breaking the shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Others can correct me, but I don't think you are required to break the shot at full extension when drawing from the holster.  Rather, I think the holster draws are just to provide a change-up/prevent shooting the whole drill from high-ready position.

Offline Long_shot

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 11:26:33 PM »
So I made it out today and tested my CGW bushing and shot both my SP01 Tactical and 97BD.  I posted the bushing results in the CGW bushing thread.

I also did the TDA Dot Torture Drill (DA/SA) for the first time.  Boy was I humbled by the drill.  It was really good to be forced to slow down and focus on the accuracy.  I'm used to the USPSA speed game and I generally don't focus on the accuracy but rather the speed.

I did the drill at 5 yds and now that I've done it I would have started at 3 yds.  My first dot with the 9mm was a wake up call I couldn't hit the dot!  I had to really slow down and focus on the fundamentals:  Grip, Front sight, Trigger, Follow through.  Once I swallowed my pride and slowed down, I did better.  There is still plenty of room for improvement.  I will do this again during my practice sessions.  I can see how this will really improve my precision and hopefully it will translate to higher hit factors in USPSA.

This drill also reinforced my preference for the 97BD, I just plain shoot that gun better! Even though the score doesn't show it, I find it easier to shoot the 97BD.  I really want to know how I would shoot it with the CGW 1911 bushing mod but I don't want to mess it up!  Maybe I will just have to purchase another one and get the mod done on that one.

Here are my targets from both the SP01 and the 97BD:

I highly recommend folks try this drill out.  I'm sure you will learn something about your shooting that you can work on.

Cheers,
Toby

Nice work! I love this drill, and don't do it nearly often enough.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »
Woot!  After three weeks in a row of 49/50, finally cleaned it at 3 yards with kadet kit.  Close call, almost missed on #5 and #10, but nicked the outer rings, so I am calling them hits.

10172017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:30:20 AM by baldrage »

Offline Long_shot

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
Excellent shooting!

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 12:16:40 AM »
NICE!