Author Topic: 50 yards from a rest with the P-10S  (Read 385 times)

Offline Joe L

50 yards from a rest with the P-10S
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
I haven't shot from a rest in months.  To me, shooting from a rest is another shooting discipline that requires some attention to technique and lots of practice to execute well.  So, with a new pistol, new sight, new range, and no practice, my expectations were not very high this morning.  But I set up the video cameras, just in case I had a good day and something to show, and I'm glad I did. 

I had moved the Holoson 507C and CZC plate from the P-10F to the P-10S, so I expected to have to make some adjustments to the sight.  Turned out that two-handed hold, standing, with Remingon UMC 115 FMJ ammo, that the sight was very close at 18 yards.  So, I moved over to the rifle range, set a B-6C bullseye target out, and blasted away, this time with Atlanta Arms 115 JHP.  Made two adjustments, and the gun/sight/ammo were dialed in.  Here is the video. 

I am very happy.  It took some time for me to get this kind of result with both the P-10C and P-10F, like AFTER changing the striker spring and polishing the internals.  The factory P-10S trigger is much better than the original P-10C, maybe even a little better than the P-10F, but still heavy.  I still don't like the slots in the trigger for the trigger safety, but that probably won't be as irritating after installing a weaker striker spring.

I think with fewer people around, less wind, and a lighter trigger, perhaps some slightly smaller groups will be possible from this subcompact.  If I am able to shoot 2" at 50 and 6" at 100, I'll be very happy, as the results will be consistent with the P-10F and P-09/07 (allowing for some degradation due to barrel length), and probably better than my particular P-10C.

So, a good day at the range with the little carry gun.  No more PM-40, and no need to carry the thick and heavy P-07 or P-10C. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Online Rmach

Re: 50 yards from a rest with the P-10S
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
You have some great videos!  I would love to see a 25yd target, standing two hand hold, from your CZ75b.
CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 75b polished stainless W/MCARBO kit, 75b w/MCARBO kit, Tristar C-100

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
You have some great videos!  I would love to see a 25yd target, standing two hand hold, from your CZ75b.

Here is a good single hand at 25 and 50...

Joe

Online Rmach

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »
Outstanding, thanks!
CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 75b polished stainless W/MCARBO kit, 75b w/MCARBO kit, Tristar C-100

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
Outstanding, thanks!
If you only knew how many bad targets I recorded and never published... :) :)
Joe

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:27:36 AM »
Very nicely done, sir, very nice indeed - that little gun has a LOT going for it, MUCH more accurate than I ever expected any "subcompact" to be, truly.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:11 AM »
Pretty awesome. Even if you do not publish the bad targets (if there even are any!!), the good ones are pretty top notch, and tough to match. I think the P07/P09 series does have the benefit of a much better trigger.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »
... I think the P07/P09 series does have the benefit of a much better trigger.
When I first tried the P-10C trigger, my first thought was "uh oh, this is going to be tough to learn".  Like most factory service pistols, the trigger was heavy and rough.  A lighter striker spring took care of the heavy part, and a CGW striker and some polishing took care of the rough part.  The CGW parts resulted in a really good trigger, just different from a P-09/07.  The P-10F and now P-10S came from the factory with still heavy but smoother trigger pulls than the original P-10C, indicated that CZ has refined the parts enough so that I could shoot it pretty well out of the box, as indicated in the video above. 

I'm pretty sure that, with the CGW parts installed, and a red dot (so that the sight radius isn't a factor), there will be some surprisingly good targets from the little gun.  The difference is in expectations, I think.  We are conditioned to believe the shorter barrel guns are "less accurate" than the longer ones.  With open sights, it is more difficult to line up the sights perfectly for every shot so the groups are larger, generally, as the barrel length shrinks.  The red dot takes care of that.  The red dot is a BIG factor!  The next variable is mechanical tolerances.  The barrel has to drop at a steeper angle for the shorter barrel gun so I always thought the shorter barrel guns surely had to have a looser lock up than a full size.  My wake up call came from a Kahr PM-40 first, then the P-07, both of which were much better mechanically than I thought possible.  I was hopeful the little P-10S would be a good shooter, but, shooting it this well, out of the box, at 50 yards, with the factory heavy trigger, just confirmed how good the latest machining techniques and engineering design are, at least from CZ, at a reasonable price.   

Joe

Offline coolbox

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:30 AM »
Thank you for the insights Sir. I fully agree, and also believe you are one of the most qualified to give such remarks. Keep up the shooting and the good work.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline R.Wade

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Very cool!