Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 36113 times)

Offline baldrage

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »
Live Fire Training, April 23, 2019

Working on shooting with both eyes open this session.  Starting to get the hang of it at 10 yards and in, but longer distances still a problem (seeing two sets of sights and two sets of targets).  Definitely helps me reduce flinch/recoil anticipation.

Draw 1 and Draw 2 at 5 yards for a warm-up:

04232019_DRAW by baldrage, on Flickr

SHO and WHo at 7 yards:

04232019_WHO-SHO by baldrage, on Flickr

IDPA 5X5 classifier at 10 yards -- getting better, I think, didn't throw as many shots to the left.  Had at least one good run that would have gotten me an Expert classification.  Now I just have to make that the norm.
04232019_BULLSEYE by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched to Kadet kit, walk-back drill out to 25 yards:
04232019_WALKBACK by baldrage, on Flickr

Dot torture at 4 yards:
04232019_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Interesting side note:  I didn't realize until half-way through my training session that the shooter in the lane next to me was none other than Mr. John Murphy of FPF Training here in Virginia, whom I have trained with a few times.  Good to see him, but having one of your former shooting instructors in the lane next to you is a bit stressful! 

Offline baldrage

« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
Last weekend I traveled over the Potomac into the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland for a monthly IDPA club match at Anne Arundel Fish and Game club (AAFG).  This was my first real match of 2019, aside from shooting a single classifier stage at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club last month.

My goal for this match was to focus on staying in "match mode" and not worrying about outcome/performance, but instead, keeping focused on seeing my sights lift and calling every shot so as to avoid the "rush, try, hurry, fail" cycle that is familiar to every practical pistol competitor.  Stuck in my head was a quote from one of Steve Anderson's recent"That Shooting Show" podcasts:  "if you're fast, you don't have to hurry."  I am not the fastest competitor by any stretch, but I'm faster than many, I do put in a lot of practice, so I really wanted to just go out and shoot at my current level of skill without pressing.

I kept repeating to myself the mantra "I am here to see my sights and call every shot" throughout the day, and I ruthlessly banished any thoughts about speed, my scores, other shooter's times/scores, and the outcome of the match.  Nevertheless, because I was helping out with recording scores on the tablet, I was pretty sure by the end of the match that I had turned in the best performance on my squad and was pretty happy with how I shot.  I did a good job staying in match mode throughout the day --  there were only two targets out of six stages where I didn't remember waiting for an appropriate sight picture.

When the results were posted, I was very happy to see that I finished second out 22 competitors, and first out of 12 SS-class shooters.  Best finish ever, for me, in terms of ranking.  I also had my first ever stage win, and finished second on two other stages.

I am extremely pleased with this performance, but fully realize that I had a couple of other factors working in my favor for this match. Firstly, many of the normal "top dogs" that shoot at AAFG weren't in attendance -- there were no M-class shooters, and only two EX competitors, so I beat out a crowd of mostly SS and MM class participants.  Secondly, we had a substitute match director for this match, so the stages were pretty straight-forward and not as difficult as those typically created by the normal match director, who goes out of his way to develop extra-challenging stages.  Still, this was a good vindication of my self-assessment as a high-level SS class shooter that is on the verge of classifying as Expert, and a good boost to my self-esteem as a shooter.

Weather was gorgeous, my fellow competitors were a pleasure to squad with, and as always the staff at AAFG did a great job administering a safe and fun match.

A couple of pics of some of the stages below.

04232019_AAFG_Stage 1 by baldrage, on Flickr

Stage 1.  This was the first stage I shot, and was my first stage win ever.  Start off facing up-range, turn and stomp on the plate to trigger a swinging target, then run to either right or left barricade and slice the pie to shoot three targets, before going to the other barricade and slicing the pie to shoot another three targets.  All of that dry fire practice on turning and drawing definitely paid off for me on this stage.

04232019_AAFG_Stage 4 by baldrage, on Flickr

Stage 4.  I particularly enjoy stages with props or unusual starting positions.  This stage was set up to mimic a dinner date gone horribly wrong and was shot seated, with unloaded pistol in the box at the start.  I fumbled my initial load with a magazine from my belt, but still finished 7th overall on the stage.

04232019_AAFG_Stage 6 by baldrage, on Flickr

Stage 6.  My last stage of the day, and was definitely the most difficult.  Targets arrayed from 7 to 20 yards, and firing sequence began far to near, with two shots on the partially obscured bodies, then near to far with one shot on the head.  I sent several make-up shots on the final head shot at 20 yards and was very glad I did, because I only landed one round that just barely creased the corner of the -1 zone.  Good enough for me to finish second on this stage.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
Got out to shoot only my second match of the year, at the NRA HQ range.  These short matches always feature some tricky stages and some high-level competition.  I finished 8th overall out of 27 shooters, about where I should given the number of EX and SS participants whose skill meets or exceeds my own that were at the match.  In addition to three regular stages, stage 4 was the 5X5 classifier, and I again finished in roughly 21 seconds raw time, but had 8 shots outside the down zero, putting my score at 29 -- poor job staying in "match mode" and just shooting what my sights showed me.  Similar to my earlier classifier this year, raw time was fast enough, but too many misses pushed me over the 25 threshold for expert.

Pics of two of the most interesting stages below.

NRA-05282019_stage2 by baldrage, on Flickr

This stage required some quick thinking, as shooter had to pick up one of two markers on the barrel in the foreground, see if the bottom of the marker was red or blue, then shoot the opposite color with three shots each.  I initially overran the barrel by a step or two, forgetting to pick up a marker, but recovered and did fine.  At least one person in each squad picked up the marker and mistakenly shot the same color as what they saw.

NRA-05282019_stage3 by baldrage, on Flickr

Stage 3 had us walking on a "steel I-beam" to engage hostile threats disguised as construction workers.  The boards were wide enough that staying on wasn't a challenge, but shooting through the small aperture in the orange/mesh vision barrier on the left required a tricky lean.

Offline Rek

« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the post, nice to see and read a description of how it's done.
Maybe I can get my club to do it.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
When the results were posted, I was very happy to see that I finished second out 22 competitors, and first out of 12 SS-class shooters.  Best finish ever, for me, in terms of ranking.  I also had my first ever stage win, and finished second on two other stages.

I am extremely pleased with this performance, but fully realize that I had a couple of other factors working in my favor for this match. Firstly, many of the normal "top dogs" that shoot at AAFG weren't in attendance -- there were no M-class shooters, and only two EX competitors, so I beat out a crowd of mostly SS and MM class participants.  Secondly, we had a substitute match director for this match, so the stages were pretty straight-forward and not as difficult as those typically created by the normal match director, who goes out of his way to develop extra-challenging stages.  Still, this was a good vindication of my self-assessment as a high-level SS class shooter that is on the verge of classifying as Expert, and a good boost to my self-esteem as a shooter.

Baldrage and Scarlett Pistol!!!,

I just wanted to thank you for turning me onto Steve Anderson.  A while back you had mentioned his podcast in this thread and I looked him up and started listening.  I've now read his books and perform his dry fire drills 1-12 on a regular basis.  I too now have seen the light of "Match Mode" and have seen real improvements to my game.  I went from chasing the local hot dog's to being one of them.  I routinely beat a Master class IDPA shooter in our USPSA matches and he is shooting carry optics (cheater guns :))!  When he figures out the USPSA rules, it will be a little more challenging :).

As Steve say's, don't let the negativity creep in!  A win is a win, they didn't show up and thus you beat them at that match!  I too struggle to keep in match mode and stay focused the entire match.  I still have plenty to learn but am having fun getting better and my goal is USPSA A class by the end of the year.  I just need more time to practice!

Cheers and thanks again!
Toby

Edit: to add Scarlett Pistol to the thank you for reference to Steve Anderson.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:49:26 PM by tdogg »

Offline baldrage

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
Toby -- thanks for reading and for your comment!  I am becoming almost hesitant to recommend Steve Anderson, since that just creates better shooters that I have to compete against! :)

Great news for me is that I am signed up for Steve's 2-day course in September!  I'll definitely post an AAR here post-class.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
Two weeks ago, I once again traveled over the Potomac to participate in an IDPA match at the Anne Arundel Fish and Game Club (AAFG).  Fun match and I did extremely well, finishing 5th out 27 shooters (ahead of five EX-class competitors) and first in SS-class.  Would have done even better, but I fell out of "match mode" on half of one of the last stages, got a little frisky, and finished -8 on that stage.  A couple of pics of some of the more interesting stages below:

07132019_AAFG_Stage 4 by baldrage, on Flickr
This was kind of a standard shooting-while-seated stage, where the shooter had to keep at least one cheek on the chair the entire time.  What made it not standard was the two targets in the last row with hard cover, requiring head shots.  Being tall definitely worked to my advantage on this stage, as I could easily see over the no-shoots and engage the last row of targets without two much difficulty.  I finished down zero and 2nd overall on this stage.

07132019_AAFG_Stage 5 by baldrage, on Flickr
Hardest stage of the day -- shooter began laying on his back holding the "baby" (yellow stuffed animal), with gun and reloads in the barrel.  On the buzzer, rolled over on weak-hand shoulder and engaged the two targets through the barrel, weak-hand only, three shots to each body, while holding baby with the strong hand.  Then, set "baby" down, reload, and engage the two targets again with head shots, this time strong-hand only.  Like most competitors, I do not practice shooting prone with one hand!   I finished in the middle of the pack on this stage.

Another well-run and very fun match.  My thanks to the SOs and MD at AAFG!

anything