Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 60732 times)

Offline baldrage

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 09:30:30 PM »
Live Fire (Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas, VA)

Started off with Dot Torture at 3 yards, got 43/50.  A bit worse than my last few times out, but first time I had shot in two weeks, and at least I finally nailed all of the one-handed shots on #5 and #8.

07132016_Dot_9mm by baldrage, on Flickr

Next up, 5X5 drill at 5 yards, edge timer set for 5 seconds (yes, slower than I had been doing, but thought I would back it off a bit since I hadn't shot in a while).  Shooting at slower pace made it pretty easy, only missed 3 out of 30 shots (would normally only only be 25 rounds, but I added in one extra 5-round string just for kicks).

07132016_5X5_9mm by baldrage, on Flickr

Move on to a Mozambique drill at 7 yards, edge timer set for 3 seconds.  Put 6/8 in the 9 or 10 ring, and 4/6 in the head.  Not too bad.
07132016_Failure_9mm by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished off the 9mm with 10 rounds on a bullseye at 25 yards.  Results were not good - only one in the black, 7/10 on the paper, missed the target completely with three rounds:

07132016_Bullseye_9mm by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to the Kadet and some .22.  Tried out some Federal Auto Match and it ran pretty well.  Most of the .22 shooting was done in DA mode and had no light strikes with either the Federal or the CCI minimags.  Had a few light strikes in SA mode, but only 2-3.  Started off with another Dot Torture at 3 yards, either got a 47/50 or 48/50, depending upon how you count the shot that just grazed the outer circle on #6:

07132016_Dot_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Next up, the Press Out drill at 5 yards, did not do as well on this one as I did last time out:
07132016_Pressout_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished off with a walk-back drill, on 4X6 cards.  Five rounds each at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 25 yards, shot medium pace (about one shot/second, a bit faster on the targets <10 yards).  Results as follows:

3 yards - 5/5, 1.5 inch group
5 yards - 5/5, 1 inch group
7 yards - 5/5, 1 inch group, with one flyer at 2 inches
10 yards - 4/5, 2 inch group
12 yards - 4/5, 1.5 inch group
15 yards - 4/5, 3 inch group
20 yards - 2/5, about 3.5 inches apart
25 yards - 1/5

Over all, pretty good for me after not shooting for 2 weeks, and only twice in the last month.  Need to work on long distance shooting, so will continue to throw in a bullseye at 25 yards and keep the walk-back drill.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:39:00 PM by baldrage »

Offline baldrage

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »
Dry-Fire Training, July 17

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 10 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; could hit consistently around 2.5 seconds, best time with a "hit" was 2.12 seconds, several other "hits" in <2.2 seconds; getting better

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

Offline baldrage

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
Live-Fire Training, Elite Shooting Sports, July 20

A bit shorter session tonight.  Got to the range late, then had a 5-minute cease-fire because one of the other shooters got a nasty slide-bite that opened up his hand, causing him to bleed all over the floor and had to wait for the staff to clean it up.  I also caused a delay for myself, because during the last dot torture station when shooting .22, I fumbled an empty magazine onto the floor just in front of the shooting line. D'oh!  Could have easily reached it, but didn't want the RSO to flip out, so had to flag her over and let her grab it for me.  Embarrassing!

Anyway, enough with the drama, and on to the actual shooting.  As per usual, started with 9 mm, Dot Torture at 3 yards.  Either 42/50 or 44/50, depending upon whether you score the shots just outside the circle, but with grease ring making contact.  Started off really well, all of my one-handed shots on #5 were in the exact same hole, but then lost my focus on #8 and 9:

07202016_DOT_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Moved on to 5X5 drill at 5 yards, 4 second facing time for each 5-shot string, from low-ready.  Used 124 gr rounds for the first time, instead of 115 gr rounds, and I could actually feel a slight difference in recoil -- less snap, more push.

07202016_5X5 (1) by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up 9mm work with 25 yard bullseye, untimed, 10 shots.  Much better results than last time out -- put 3/10 in the black, 7/10 inside the circle (plus one more just outside the 5 ring).  Not up to Joe L's standards, for sure, but pretty good for me.

07202016_BULLSEYE_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to the Kadet Kit for some .22 fun.  Started with Dot Torture at 3 yards.  Did really well - 49/50 - except for that whole dropping-an-empty-mag-over-firing-line incident:

07202016_DOT_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up with walk-back drill, 5 shots each at 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 20, and 25 yards.  Results as follows:

5 yards -5/5
7 yards - 4/5 (plus just nicked the top edge with one more, so could count it as 5/5)
10 yards - 5/5
12 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 4/5
20 yards - 3/5
25 yards - 4/5

So, overall, big improvement over the longer-range shooting than last time out.  I'm shooting the .22 much more accurately than 9mm, which tells me I am either anticipating recoil or flinching with the 9mm.  Food for thought, and something to work on next time out.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
Dry-Fire Training, July 22

- 20 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; could hit consistently around 2.5 seconds, best time with a "hit" was 2.01 seconds, several other "hits" in 2.1 - 2.2 seconds; getting better, but not very consistent

- 5 minutes working on draw and fire, then transition and fire to another target, PAR time 3 seconds; made this pretty consistently

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

Offline baldrage

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
Live Fire Training, July 28, Elite Shooting Sports.

No drama tonight, after an exciting/embarrassing trip last week!  Actually, I got a good laugh, as the guy next to me dropped one of his magazines off the bench and over the firing line tonight.  He seemed like he knew which end of the gun went "bang" and was a pretty good shooter, so I was very heartened to see that I am not the only person who is capable of fumbling a magazine onto the floor.

I broke my fiber-optic front sight earlier this week doing draws in dry-fire practice, so I was interested to see how I would do shooting with an open hole where my red fiber optic dot had been ...

Started out with usual 9 mm dot torture at 3 yards.  Took a little step back tonight, 41/50.  Missed some "lay-ups" shooting SA at stations #4 and #7, along with a couple of flyers on strong-hand only (#5) that almost missed the paper:

07292016_DOT_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Moved on to 5X5 drill at 5 yards, 4 second facing time.  Got 22/25 on-target:

07292016_5X5_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Next up, Mozambique drill at 7 yards, 4 second facing time.  Ran this 5 times, 15 shots total.  Results were mixed.  6/10 on my 3X5 target sticky note on the body, but at least the other 4 body shots were still inside the 8 ring and would have been combat-effective hits.   Did not do very well with follow-up head shots.  I missed the 2X2 head sticky with every shot, although I did at least get 2/5 in the head zone, just missing the target sticky.  All of the head shots were high, with 2 missing the target over the head -- tells me I was going too fast and not getting a good sight picture.

07292016_MOZAMBIQUE_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished with ten shots at bullseye target at 25 yards.  Not good at all, only got 2/10 in the black, and 4/10 on the paper.
07292016_BULLSEYE_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to the Kadet Kit and some .22 fun, starting with another dot torture at 3 yards.  Got 45/50, with two of the misses coming on station #6, which should be easy money.  Just shows how much you have to really focus on every shot during this drill, there are no "gimme" putts!

07292016_DOT_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Next, a Press-Six drill at 5 yards. Did quite well, I think.  Only 1 "flyer", most of the misses were still pretty close to the target, and a lot of good groups.

07292016_PRESS_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished with walk-back drill, shooting at 4X6 index cards results as follows:

5 yards - 5/5
7 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 5/5
12 yards - 4/5
15 yards - 3/5
20 yards - 3/5
25 yards - 1/5

Overall, pretty good session, even with my busted-up front sight on the 9 mm slide.  Added a green replacement fiber optic rod subsequent to this trip, and curious to see how it works -- I think the green will show up better in the dim light at the indoor range.

Think I was flinching a bit while shooting 9 mm, but did OK, even so -- mostly affected my long-range shooting at 25 yards.  Still have to work on getting a good strong grip consistently.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:39:41 PM by baldrage »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
I just started Dot Torture drill myself.

Do you think training with the Kadet kit is helping you with the 9mm? I'm thinknig about getting one just because ammo is so much cheaper.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
I just started Dot Torture drill myself.

Do you think training with the Kadet kit is helping you with the 9mm? I'm thinknig about getting one just because ammo is so much cheaper.

Yes, Kadet kit has definitely helped with one-handed shooting, and initial DA shot in 9 mm.  The DA trigger pull is the same, whether you're shooting 9 mm or .22.  Dot torture and the Press-Out drills are very useful for these purposes.  Not as useful for training speed on follow-up shots, obviously, as there is next to no recoil with the .22. 

As you can see from my log, my typical live-fire training session is 100-150 9mm rounds, and 100-150 .22 rounds, so about 350 rounds in total.  My 9mm ammo (Blazer Brass) costs me $.22/round and .22 ammo is ~$.10 round.  Based on those figures, I estimate the Kadet Kit saves me $12-18 every trip to the range, so up to $72/month.  My kadet kit has paid for itself several times over since I bought several years ago.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
Dry-Fire Training, August 4

- 20 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; started off very slow, 2.8 - 3.0 seconds, after working for a few minutes I got it down to 2.4 seconds; then when I stopped aiming, and just went for point shooting, I was getting hits/near-misses consistently around 2.2 seconds, best time with a "hit" was 1.97 seconds, with a couple of others in 2.0X range.

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

Offline baldrage

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
Dry-Fire Training, August 7

- 15 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; continued my experiment from last time, of point-shooting vs. aiming, and times continued to improve -- I was getting hits/near-misses consistently around 1.9X seconds, best time with a "hit" was 1.87 seconds, with a "near-miss" at 1.80

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

- 5 minutes working on draw, fire one, reload, fire one ... hit 5.4 seconds pretty consistently; not sure where that fits on the scale between novice and pistolero, but at least it's a baseline to start working from

Offline baldrage

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
Dry-Fire Training, August 8

- 15 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; times were consistent with yesterday's practice -- hits/near-misses consistently around 1.9X seconds, with a handful in the 1.8X range

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

- 5 minutes working on draw, fire one, reload, fire one ... times were all over the place, worst times were 5.8 - 6.0 seconds, most between 5.0 and 5.5 seconds, a handful under 5.0 seconds (4.79 was best)

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »
Do you find that your laser trainer fits snug in the chamber? Trying to compare Laserlyte vs Surestrike and all of them.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »
Baldrage--the 25 yard bullseye AFTER some fast paced drills is tough for anyone. 

Here is the sequence I follow.  Start with the 22 at slow fire pace at 25 or 50 yards, thinking about vision, trigger prep, grip.  Then the faster drills after that.  Then I move to the centerfire gun and again start out at the longer distance with no time constraint.  Then go to the increasing speed drills. 

For me, this is more mental preparation than anything else.  Going from a speed drill back to slow fire takes a change in mindset that I can only execute after a very good day at the shorter distances.  If I'm a little frustrated from the short drills, I don't even go back and shoot long and slow again because I can't settle down and execute the long shots perfectly. 

Joe 

CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline baldrage

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Do you find that your laser trainer fits snug in the chamber? Trying to compare Laserlyte vs Surestrike and all of them.

I just got the generic 9 mm laser cartridge from impulse USA.  Two-thirds the cost of the Laserlyte.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R66IPTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't say it fits "snug", but I have never used a Laserlyte or Surestrike, so I can't speak to how it compares.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »
Baldrage--the 25 yard bullseye AFTER some fast paced drills is tough for anyone. 

Here is the sequence I follow.  Start with the 22 at slow fire pace at 25 or 50 yards, thinking about vision, trigger prep, grip.  Then the faster drills after that.  Then I move to the centerfire gun and again start out at the longer distance with no time constraint.  Then go to the increasing speed drills. 

For me, this is more mental preparation than anything else.  Going from a speed drill back to slow fire takes a change in mindset that I can only execute after a very good day at the shorter distances.  If I'm a little frustrated from the short drills, I don't even go back and shoot long and slow again because I can't settle down and execute the long shots perfectly. 

Joe

Yep, that's good advice.  I could certainly try starting with the longer-range drills and work back to shorter distances. 

However, for me, starting with .22 than switching to 9mm causes me to flinch quite noticeably.  Something about going from the little "pop" of the .22 to the "bang" of the 9mm, makes the 9mm seem like "BANG!!!" 

Offline baldrage

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2016, 05:11:32 PM »
Met one of the goals I set for myself when I first started this log a few months ago, by competing in my first "match" today:  shooting bowling pins at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club.

Course of fire was six bowling pins at 7 yards, 10 rounds max, timed, a miss is a three-second penalty.  After that, six bowling pin-shaped steel targets at 15 yards, 10 shots max, miss is a three second penalty.

I shot the course three times.  This was the first time I had ever shot at anything other then paper, and first time I had shot at this range, so first run, I was little nervous, and it showed -- knocked down 4 or 5 out of 6 bowling pins, and I think I missed all of the steel targets at 15 yards.  Second run, a little better, 5/6 pins, and one or two steel targets, but I realized I was "peeking" at the targets rather than staying focused on front sight and follow-through.  Third run, I stayed focused on the sights and follow-through, and results were fantastic -- 6/6 on the pins, using only 7 out of my allotted 10 rounds, and 6/6 on the steel, using only 8 or 9 rounds.  Got a polite round of applause from the other shooters!  Didn't think to jot down the time, but it should be posted in a week or so.

Lots of fun, and this is a monthly match, so I will definitely be back!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:16:58 PM by baldrage »

anything