Author Topic: RAMI RECOIL SPRING  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Martkin64

RAMI RECOIL SPRING
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
I'm a little confused on theach recoil spring topic. I have just over 600 rnd through my Rami and I'm reading on the Internet that you should replace the spring every 500. I have no sign of a worn out spring.  What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Is there a problem I don't know about?

Offline Psyop96

Re: RAMI RECOIL SPRING
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
Keep shooting it until "failure" if it's a range pistol. Otherwise, swap a new recoil spring when carrying and save the other one for range purposes. There's somewhere on an FAQ on the the CZUB site where it says to replace recoil springs in general when it's "down" by one coil length from a new spring. Again, for the RAMI, this refers to the larger outer spring and not the whole assembly.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
^^^^^.
   Some have reported brass flying farther at 500 rounds. That's a sign of a weakening spring. From everything I've read, shorter subcompact may wear the recoil spring out quicker.
   Over 500 rounds thru mine with no signs of weakness. Still, I swap out when I go to the range, have my new spring for carry. YMMV.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Chumley

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »
What's with that spring setup anyways?  Can someone explain its design, why two different sizes of springs and that plunger setup?

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:52:08 PM »
What's with that spring setup anyways?  Can someone explain its design, why two different sizes of springs and that plunger setup?

The dual spring arrangement is fairly common on compact/sub-compact 9mm pistols. Gives a high spring strength in a short space.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Martkin64

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
 I now have over a thousand rounds through my Rami and still no sign of the spring wearing out. I have bought another one just in case from Cajun Gun Works. now I want to know if changing the guide rod assembly will be a modification or a maintenance change?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
I had about 1300 rounds through my RAMI BD and started to notice it was throwing brass quite far and occasionally the slide wouldn't go forward completely, requiring a little push.
I had also been testing different ammo to see what it liked, and some was a little hot, but not +P. I polished the feed ramp and throat, and that helped, and started field stripping cleaning/oiling after each range session (~100-150 rounds).

I had never had recoil springs weaken so quickly, so I contacted CZ USA and they told me that the outer spring could require replacement after as few as 500 rounds. They confirmed the story that those short-barrel springs have to do extra work and fatigue quicker. I got some replacements; and compared to the new one, the used spring was definitely shorter by 1/4"+ -.

After replacement it's run flawlessly through another 700 rounds. It's a $5 part so replacing every 500-1000 rounds is no big deal. I love this gun, and it feels like an extension of my hand.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline ChrisL

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Good info here!  I did not know about this so I'll be picking up a few spares.

Offline cyberfish2

• S.O.B.'s (Seniors on Bikes)VRSCSE V-Rod '05
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
I had about 1300 rounds through my RAMI BD and started to notice it was throwing brass quite far and occasionally the slide wouldn't go forward completely, requiring a little push.
I had also been testing different ammo to see what it liked, and some was a little hot, but not +P. I polished the feed ramp and throat, and that helped, and started field stripping cleaning/oiling after each range session (~100-150 rounds).

I had never had recoil springs weaken so quickly, so I contacted CZ USA and they told me that the outer spring could require replacement after as few as 500 rounds. They confirmed the story that those short-barrel springs have to do extra work and fatigue quicker. I got some replacements; and compared to the new one, the used spring was definitely shorter by 1/4"+ -.

After replacement it's run flawlessly through another 700 rounds. It's a $5 part so replacing every 500-1000 rounds is no big deal. I love this gun, and it feels like an extension of my hand.
My Rami 9mm is brand new, and wouldn't close to battery on factory target ammo. I did a full clean & lube before I first shot it, so this was disappointing since I got it for my EDC. I had read that this could be a problem down the line, but not in a new gun. So, I ordered, from CZ, another recoil spring assembly and some night sights, and a floating trigger pin from CGW. The large spring on the factory replacement is .140" longer than the one installed in the new gun (after about 150 rounds of target ammo only. No +P). This seems like a quality control problem. Maybe more break-in is required. I haven't shot it yet with the replacement recoil assembly, but if the feed problems do not vanish, I will never be able to trust it for CC.
CZ-83, CZ-75D PCR, finally, a CZ Rami 9mm
Sure, I'd like to be young again, if it didn't come with such a big dose of stupid.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
I understand it's a little disconcerting on a new gun but...I don't worry too much until I have at least 500 rounds through a CZ to break-in. The tolerances are nice and snug. 
New springs will normally take a 'set'  at a slightly shorter length after ~100 rounds.
.140 (~1/8") shorter doesn't seem out-of-spec to me. Shorter by 1/4" or more; or throwing brass real far I'd be concerned.

CZ's usually have a protective coating of gunk from the factory. Have you thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled? After cleaning I've been using the Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil in 1oz bottle with the needle-point applicator for very satisfactory results. After about 500 rounds and good lube, if the slide still doesn't return fully; I'd be concerned.

Just a CZ owner's opinion. YMMV

"Carpe Diem"

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
Fish,

Sounds like you need to contact CZ USA!  They'll go ovr it reem the chamber if necessary, etc.  Just document your problems and lack of confidence in SD and I'm sure they will send you a Fed Ex label.  They needed to tweak mine when new but it now serves to protect my life!

My Rami 9mm is brand new, and wouldn't close to battery on factory target ammo. I did a full clean & lube before I first shot it, so this was disappointing since I got it for my EDC. I had read that this could be a problem down the line, but not in a new gun. So, I ordered, from CZ, another recoil spring assembly and some night sights, and a floating trigger pin from CGW. The large spring on the factory replacement is .140" longer than the one installed in the new gun (after about 150 rounds of target ammo only. No +P). This seems like a quality control problem. Maybe more break-in is required. I haven't shot it yet with the replacement recoil assembly, but if the feed problems do not vanish, I will never be able to trust it for CC.

Offline cyberfish2

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
I understand it's a little disconcerting on a new gun but...I don't worry too much until I have at least 500 rounds through a CZ to break-in. The tolerances are nice and snug. 
New springs will normally take a 'set'  at a slightly shorter length after ~100 rounds.
.140 (~1/8") shorter doesn't seem out-of-spec to me. Shorter by 1/4" or more; or throwing brass real far I'd be concerned.

CZ's usually have a protective coating of gunk from the factory. Have you thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled? After cleaning I've been using the Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil in 1oz bottle with the needle-point applicator for very satisfactory results. After about 500 rounds and good lube, if the slide still doesn't return fully; I'd be concerned.

Just a CZ owner's opinion. YMMV
"Have you thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled?" Just a field strip & re-lube with TW-25b. Maybe a full tear down is in order?
I have since used a bronze brush & solvent to scrub the chamber. And I mirror polished the feed ramp. CZ parts is out of Rami recoil assemblies, and outer recoil springs, which speaks volumes. Wolff springs does not seem to have Rami springs at all. I tend to think a couple hundred more rounds will help this problem of not fully closing to battery. I notice I am not having any feed problem with my Hornady SD ammo, just the FMJ target(Remington or Winchester) stuff I'm using for break-in. I date the boxes when I buy them, and use the oldest first. I also run all ammo thru an EGW chamber checker before I use it. It is not too uncommon to find one round/box that fails.
Sure, I'd like to be young again, if it didn't come with such a big dose of stupid.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
Fish,
It sounds like you're doing all the right things to isolate the problem.
If you have more than one mag; You might try marking them and switch and see if one is problematic. Although, you probably have tried that already. More often than not; magazines are the cause of feed related issues.

Interesting that the Hornady SD ammo is feeding and the slide is returning to battery OK, yes? But not the target ammo? If anything, you'd expect it to be the other way around. Of course if the target ammo is too weak, and the gun's tolerances are still tight, it might not cycle the gun correctly. CZ's do like it a bit hot.

In any event; I agree with Tyerone to reach out to CZ customer service. I'm sure they will check everything to spec; help you get it right and regain your confidence for EDC.

Please keep us posted on how you make out. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:11:43 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
My Rami BD ran fine for the first 150 rounds then it started not going into battery. I took it apart and noticed I felt a crunch when I compressed the recoil springs I found the smaller of the two springs had broken. I called CZUSA and they sent me a new recoil spring unit next day mail prepaid. My gun now runs great with no problems my total round count is about 1200. :)

Offline cyberfish2

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Fish,
It sounds like you're doing all the right things to isolate the problem.
If you have more than one mag; You might try marking them and switch and see if one is problematic. Although, you probably have tried that already. More often than not; magazines are the cause of feed related issues.

Interesting that the Hornady SD ammo is feeding and the slide is returning to battery OK, yes? But not the target ammo? If anything, you'd expect it to be the other way around. Of course if the target ammo is too weak, and the gun's tolerances are still tight, it might not cycle the gun correctly. CZ's do like it a bit hot.

In any event; I agree with Tyerone to reach out to CZ customer service. I'm sure they will check everything to spec; help you get it right and regain your confidence for EDC.

Please keep us posted on how you make out.
I did register so I could use CS, but I'm not sure they would do anything different than I'm already doing. I'm a retired tool & die maker with a modest hobby machine shop. I've had good results troubleshooting and fixing problems with my other guns, and frankly, since I waited over two years to finally find a Calif. legal Rami, I don't want to let it out of my sight, if I can help it.
That said, I get a lot of help from all of you right here on this forum, thank you.
My new Rami seemed tight; no noticeable play in the slide. As I mentioned, I shoot my oldest ammo first. So I got 200 rounds of fresh 9mm fmj, which ran without any feed or eject problems. So far, so good.