Author Topic: Kadet 22 converstion filing  (Read 1056 times)

jnjboc

Kadet 22 converstion filing
« on: December 30, 2002, 11:05:41 PM »
Hi folks,

Purchased the Kadet 22 conversion with my 85 Combat.  I know I have to file down the underside of the rearward barrel attachment so it will slide smoothly on the 85 body.

The shop owner suggested I used a sand stone, like what you use to sharpen a knife with?  I don't have that but he also suggested 80 grit sandpaper, using bar stock to ensure a smooth and even shave.

I have been working the sandpaper for a couple of hours with minimal success.

Any ideas from you folks that have done this as to what works best?

thanks.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 07:23:14 AM »
It shouldn't take THAT MUCH fitting.  

You may want to clean it up and take it back to the place you bought it, and get another one.  

Mine was a straight slip on -- and used it on both a 75B and now my 85 Combat.  The first one I bought, however, wouldn't even fit on the frame all the way.

(My current one also fits on my pre-B 75, but doesn't work right -- something about the differences in the trigger/firing cycle.)

Offline mapdude

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 10:46:11 PM »
You probably need to fit the slide rails.  I played with the lug longer than I needed on mine until I realized the tabs in the front that slide into the slide recess need to be fitted.  AFter that it slipped on and off.  Now it's a quick 1 minute conversion. I would fit the conversion without the .22 slide and recoil spring in place.  Make your adjustments until you can slide the slide stop into the frame with the kit upper installed.  Then put your other parts in and go shooting. mapdude

Offline RobCTwo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 08:29:16 PM »
I used a very fine flat file. File a couple strokes, try the fit, etc until it fit snug but easy. I probably took ten minutes to get it right.

Robctwo

z537z

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 10:29:06 PM »
Your sandpaper is far too rough to effectively wear down steel. A VERY fine (and good) file will do nicely.

If all else fails, a really slow grinding Dremmel bit (flat edged) might work.

Good luck.

_z

BigSwede-czechpistols82792

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 08:54:35 AM »
I just got the Kadet kit, and following instructions was able to fit it with some filing on spot 'A'. Hopefully you guys remember which one 'A' is, it is the side of a block that projects down and fits into the frame (can you tell I'm not a gunsmith?:o ).

Anyway, my questions is, does this spot I filed need to be finished better than the filing left it, maybe some fine sanding and polishing? Or does it even matter how smooth this location 'A' is?

anything