Author Topic: What barrel length does the Czech military use on their Brens?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline johnson184

Been agonizing if I want to deal with the new 41F requirements and SBRing a pistol or if I should just get a carbine.
After thinking it over, I may just go with whatever the Czechs themselves seem to prefer.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: What barrel length does the Czech military use on their Brens?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:25 AM »
11.5" I believe....

Offline Psyop96

What barrel length does the Czech military use on their Brens?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:08:04 AM »
The military A1 and A2 barrel lengths are around 14" and 11" respectively. http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/automaticke-zbrane/cz-805-bren-a1-a2.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:14:25 AM by Psyop96 »

Offline AKToday

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
Go to cz-usa.com and click on "Law Enforcement Rifles" ---- as stated already, A1 14" and A2 11" barrels.

Offline johnson184

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Does anyone know if they use the same gas system? Or do they have different port sizes?

Offline johnson184

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
Does anyone know if they use the same gas system? Or do they have different port sizes?

Anyone? :(
Trying to decide if I should get the pistol and file for SBR and wait... or get the Carbine and shoot it now. File the SBR paperwork then chop the barrel.

Offline AKToday

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
They use the exact same "gas system" (gas block/piston)-----but the ports on the barrel or gas adjustment valve would have to be larger on the shorter barrel.    But, as far as those measurements go, I don't know--hopefully some of the really smart gun people on this board can tell you.

Offline matchman

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »

Anyone? :(
Trying to decide if I should get the pistol and file for SBR and wait... or get the Carbine and shoot it now. File the SBR paperwork then chop the barrel.
  You should be able to find a parts breakdown of the rifle and or pistol on the net to see if different part numbers are listed as different.
   I opted for the pistol and the brace kit with the blade brace. I'm happy, for now.
I may change my mind later

Offline RSR

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »
Believe the shorter is intended for use suppressed such as in CQB roles, or for other uses where compactness is key but SMGs (that is, the EVO) aren't ideal -- tanks crews, paratroopers, etc.   277 mm = 10.9"

The longer barrel is intended for standard infantry/general issue use.  360 mm = 14.2"

Add a 3" suppressor to shorter version and you're at the same overall length as the longer one...

With piston guns, they are much less affected by small nuances in gassing than are DI guns... So they might be the same configuration.

Offline matchman

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Is not the gas block at the same barrel length point
On both versions ? If so port size should not matter i would think.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:41:25 PM by matchman »

Offline AKToday

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »
The gas blocks are at the same location on both ---- but the 14" has more barrel and "dwell time" in front of gas block than the 11" barrel.   It definitely makes a difference in port sizes on weapons like the AR-15 platform, and I would guess it would make some difference in port size on BREN ?????

Offline johnson184

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »
Believe the shorter is intended for use suppressed such as in CQB roles, or for other uses where compactness is key but SMGs (that is, the EVO) aren't ideal -- tanks crews, paratroopers, etc.   277 mm = 10.9"

The longer barrel is intended for standard infantry/general issue use.  360 mm = 14.2"

Add a 3" suppressor to shorter version and you're at the same overall length as the longer one...

With piston guns, they are much less affected by small nuances in gassing than are DI guns... So they might be the same configuration.

Can't seem to find out their gas port sizes... I only speak English so it's making it rather difficult.
May just cut the barrel back to 14.2" and pin/weld a Surefire Warcomp flash hider onto it. That should bring it past 16"... I think.

anything