Author Topic: Hope for the 806  (Read 10524 times)

Offline tcammack

Hope for the 806
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
Saw this on Facebook this morning.

Q: Are we getting the upgraded 806 too?
A (Rob from CZ): The 806 is still pre-production. The factory is gearing up to supply the military orders announced earlier this year, so a civilian version of it is a ways off yet.

It's a lot better than "don't hold your breath"!

Offline RSR

Re: Hope for the 806
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:41:15 AM »
My take is that 805 to civilians is a great way to burn off materials and inventory before/while transitioning fully to the 806. 

Good news for 805 folks is that even if it's not the "final/ultimate" version, it should be more rare than the final version and accordingly command a higher $ when those with the final version decide they want to build and backdate their collection...  With patience, update to the modern version and then some...

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:44:30 AM »
*In the grand scheme of things, the Czech gov't and CZUB are extremely poor...  CZUB has to hustle to make the ends meet and the small gov't arms needs aren't making them rich, probably more an issue of legacy and pride than profit... 
So CZUB is probably trying to not lose their a** with the Czech military demanding  the 806 version and the Bren VZ58 replacement having been in development for ~4 decades now...

Offline mikec

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
The funny thing is that Czech soldiers much prefer Vz58 over Bren! 

Offline RSR

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:32:11 AM »
I know when the 805 was first adopted that was the case.  Since the 806 revisions I haven't really seen or head as many complaints.  And the 806 has performed well enough to have become a finalist in at least a few military replacement small arm competitions...
But seeing as how most of the Czech Army's VZ58s and reserve inventory went to Iraq and Afghanistan "friendly" indigneous forces as part of their NATO obligations/contributions, I suppose there's no switching back...

Have any leads on recent complaints/discussions?  I'd be interested to read them.  Also would be curious to see comparisons of a 7.62x39 Bren vs a 7.62x39 VZ58.  The 5.56 to 7.62x39 comparison is a bit apples to oranges.

Offline bull

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:40:43 AM »
If the 806 was in 380 it would be the clear winner...

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »
If the 806 was in 380 it would be the clear winner...

.308?
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:21:28 PM »
I dunno, a .380ACP BREN would be one heck of a light recoiling rifle!  8) ;D
How about a BREN in 300 Blackout or my oddball fave, 6.5mm Grendel? One Grendel BREN has been built, by BisonWorld, a member here. :)
I've had both vz-58 and BREN, and the vz-58 is lighter, shorter, and is reliable as the day is long. I had the 5.56mm version as well, and the aftermarket mag well wasn't the greatest, hard to find mags that would work in it, but it was fun, reliable and accurate.
The BREN to me is a smoother shooting rifle, accurate and DRT reliable, something I know is going to work for me for years as long as I do my part. I haven't stretched her legs yet, but I think when I get a good magnified optic I will be able to hit far more accurately than either of the vz-58 rifles I had. Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to take a vz-58 7.62x39mm rifle into any combat a fat old man like me could reasonable survive, (pillow fight comes to mind), but I think the BREN has lots of potential, and I look forward to really getting it out see...when my job lets me! :'(

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
CZ USA is hoping to have the 806 here in a couple of years, but as of yet, they don't even have a test sample 806 in country.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Offline krazyukrainian

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »
I am very happy with the 805 and actually don't mind the extra weight. It looks nicer to me than the 806 but that's subjective I guess.

Offline RSR

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 01:48:52 AM »
I dunno, a .380ACP BREN would be one heck of a light recoiling rifle!  8) ;D
How about a BREN in 300 Blackout or my oddball fave, 6.5mm Grendel? One Grendel BREN has been built, by BisonWorld, a member here. :)
I've had both vz-58 and BREN, and the vz-58 is lighter, shorter, and is reliable as the day is long. I had the 5.56mm version as well, and the aftermarket mag well wasn't the greatest, hard to find mags that would work in it, but it was fun, reliable and accurate.
The BREN to me is a smoother shooting rifle, accurate and DRT reliable, something I know is going to work for me for years as long as I do my part. I haven't stretched her legs yet, but I think when I get a good magnified optic I will be able to hit far more accurately than either of the vz-58 rifles I had. Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to take a vz-58 7.62x39mm rifle into any combat a fat old man like me could reasonable survive, (pillow fight comes to mind), but I think the BREN has lots of potential, and I look forward to really getting it out see...when my job lets me! :'(

IMO, the VZ58 is a carbine.  And the 805/806 Brens are rifles...  Very different uses and designs.  However, I am of the belief that 5.56/.223 is not an ideal "rifle" round, even though it performs best from longer barrels...  I would prefer a larger caliber bullet to accompany the extra weight...  5.56 and 7.62x39 both are good carbine calibers, 5.56 being lighter actually may have an advantage.  Do not forget that, first and foremost, rifle caliber carbines are intended to be step up in capability from subguns and pistol caliber carbines...

Honestly, I believe attempting to design more capable cartridges/calibers around the 5.56/.223 cartridge is a bit of fools errand, but that's a separate discussion. 
But leads into that I'd REALLY like to see the Czechs push a mid caliber, designed exclusively for that caliber -- can keep the same lines/op system however as existing Brens --- that has performance somewhere in the middle of 5.56 and .308.  Currently, that middle ground is 7.62x39, but from scratch or even reintroducing a cartridge like the historical Czech 7.62x45 would be a game changer...  Militaries may not get on board but if you want to be a leader, you have to take risks...  Heck even make the first weapon in 7x46mm UIAC which is extremely similar to th the 7.62x45 capability-wise.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
.276 Pederson? OH, yeah, that's going to far back in the ashcans of history. ;) It WOULD be a very interesting thing to resurrect the 7.62x45mm round, especially in a Czech rifle - what was the performance envelope of that cartridge, worth investigating? I'd think 6.5 Grendel would be a better choice to look into, but that's just me. The 7.62x39mm, while a heavy hitter, has that rainbow trajectory at longer range. Despite the fact many engagements aren't at long range, having that ability in your hip pocket ain't a bad thing, or, at least so I've been told by the guys fielding the rebuilt M-14s nowadays. ;) Even so, I love that round and would have no qualms about carrying my little CZ-527M/CSR into some entanglements if necessary. I'd prefer to AVOID it, to be honest, but, better than a sharp stick in the eye.
The vz-58 is a carbine and so is the BREN in it's original form, and sold as such, even here. With the 16 inch barrel I do have to agree; to me it's a rifle in the classic sense.
I think the BREN has a lot of things going for it, and has potential!

Offline RSR

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 01:08:40 AM »
No on .276 pederson.  Covered that before -- basically, it's .308 equivalent not an intermediate:
I agree that .276 P would have been a superior choice to .30-06 for the M1 Garand.  However, .276 P is effectively a flatter shooting, higher velocity .308 -- and it actually has a longer overall cartridge length as well.  So it's still a full caliber high velocity battle rifle cartridge...  Primary benefits of .276 P or .280 B vs .308 are higher velocity, flatter shooting, and reduced recoil...  Primary drawbacks of these higher velocity, necked down rounds is reduced barrel life due to increase throat erosion, which is of concern in a MG role...
http://wintersoldier2008.typepad.com/summer_patriot_winter_sol/2011/12/for-those-who-think-that-the-280-british-and-the-276-pedersen-were-pipsqueak-cartridges-in-compariso.html

In regards to 7.62x45 Czech, it would really need to be necked down to 6.5-7mm to perform ideally.  Vs 7.62x39, it delivers around 15% more energy at the muzzle with an 8 gr heavier bullet and an extra 100 fps or so. 

6.5 Grendel, it's main limitation is case capacity.  It really needs a larger, preferably longer case for optimal performance. 
And short squat case, necked down like it is, throat erosion on the barrel is a serious concern, especially it talking military rates of fire.  6.5 Grendel also requires an 18"+ barrel for ideal performance...
More here: http://www.gdiengineering.com/wordpress/2012/07/14/why-most-6-5mm-cartridges-are-great-but-6-5-grendel-is-just-okay/
And discussion on the 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel, primarily in regards to barrel length, here: http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-6-8-spc-a-different-perspective/
5.56 vs 6.5 Grendel, velocity is particularly important as is bullet performance (heavier bullets tend to tumble later than lighter bullets): http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-223-556-ballistics-hunting-combat/
About how 6.5 Grendel is enough better: http://weaponsman.com/?p=5798
Again, not advocating either as I think an ideal intermediate cartridge needs a case bigger than can fit in a 5.56 designed rifle -- also to allow parts to be designed around cartridge as well which should substantially reduce drawbacks discussed in last links.
Notably, both 6.8 SPC and 6.5 G, both have about ~50% more bullet drop at 250 yards (3-4 inches more drop) and 500 yards (~25 inches more drop).  And both have ~1/3rd more drop at 750 yards.  All of these vs 55 and 62gr 5.56 rounds... At 1000 yards, 5.56 has dropped ~40 inches less than 6.5 G and ~80 inches less than 6.8 spc.  5.56 drops about 465 inches at 100 yards. 
I think that the bullet drop/trajectory is very important, which is why more velocity and greater case capacity is needed.  Without a flat shooting bullet, hits at range become much more dependent on proper range estimations than does 5.56...  On a static range, heavier bullets with less wind drift are a plus as you can walk your bullets in -- and once you know your hold, wind is much less likely to get you off target.  On 2 way ranges, wind drift is less of a concern when considering movement of targets, limited time of exposure, cone of fire, multiple targets in same general area, rapidly changing target distance, etc...

I understand that CZ USA is selling the Bren as a "carbine."  But carbines are intended to be light and handy...  From all I've seen and the one I briefly handled at the gun store, the Bren is too heavy and blocky to excel as a carbine.  And the CZUB marketing I've seen identifies it as a "rifle."
IMO, the weapon system is a rifle that they're they're trying fit into the carbine niche rather than vice versa with the VZ58...  I also think AKs are better as rifles than carbines...  AR15s I look at as best as carbines, if in 5.56 caliber, all things considered.  For me, it's a factor of both handling and weight (barrel length, compactness, etc also matter), but weight I use ~7lbs unloaded and no mag as the dividing line between a modern military rifle and a carbine.  Weight is a biggie for me.  Overall form factor for storage/carry on person probably 2nd, and handling/handiness 3rd...  YMMV.
To be clear, I don't think it's bad that it's a rifle and not a carbine, it's just different.  And throwing the BATF, etc, definitions out the window. 
For instance, I think Galil's are exceptional rifles, but even the Galil SAR  w/ 13" barrel weighs over 8lbs.  While a carbine-length barrel with according drawbacks, it's weight definitely puts it into a rifle zone for me, a compact rifle but a rifle nonetheless.  If you have to carry it, you'll know it's there and it will likely become more of a burden.
In use, I see a carbine is something you can carry or sling up and go about daily activities with minimal limitations or discomfort from having it there.  It's a reduced form and weight rifle designed for convenience of carry and use, importantly primarily designed to be fired w/ a stock as accuracy is important (if wanting to fire from the hip and have even more compactness w/ no stock, I'd personally go w/ pistol caliber subguns over rifles).  I see rifles as being designed to be optimal at a specific purpose, including fighting, where weight and form factor are a concern but not the primary one -- the primary goal being an optimized durability, reliability, caliber, ballistics, etc, for the intended use of that weapon in concert with other military arms, tactics, etc...  Generally, I see rifles as running 7-10 lbs.  Though this weight is a penalty when carrying it about, it is a bonus when firing for reducing recoil among other factors.  I suppose think back to the thought process dividing the M1 Carbine and M1 Garand for use among WW2 troops.
Anything above 10lbs I see as more of a special purpose weapon like heavy barreled sniper rifle, etc. 
And note that optics and other attached accessories are not included in the above weights (all furniture should be included however), so often carbines with optics will fall into rifle weights, and rifles will fall into special purpose weights, etc... 

What I like about the VZ58 is that it seems to be a pretty ideal carbine for me in all factors but ammo weight and tinker toy build-ability vs the AR15 in 5.56.  7.62x39 excels in the sub 300 yards/meters envelope, the weapon and mags are very lightweight, and the weapon design is truly robust and proven to take rifle-like levels of abuse.  That increased durability is often one reason for the increased weight of rifles, but the VZ58 design just doesn't need the weight...
Now the VZ58 could be modernized and improved but that's a separate discussion.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:57:05 AM by RSR »

Offline RSR

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 03:28:49 AM »
CZ USA is hoping to have the 806 here in a couple of years, but as of yet, they don't even have a test sample 806 in country.

Sven
Manticore Arms

That's great news.

Offline matchman

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
No on .276 pederson.  Covered that before -- basically, it's .308 equivalent not an intermediate:
I agree that .276 P would have been a superior choice to .30-06 for the M1 Garand.  However, .276 P is effectively a flatter shooting, higher velocity .308 -- and it actually has a longer overall cartridge length as well.  So it's still a full caliber high velocity battle rifle cartridge...  Primary benefits of .276 P or .280 B vs .308 are higher velocity, flatter shooting, and reduced recoil...  Primary drawbacks of these higher velocity, necked down rounds is reduced barrel life due to increase throat erosion, which is of concern in a MG role...
http://wintersoldier2008.typepad.com/summer_patriot_winter_sol/2011/12/for-those-who-think-that-the-280-british-and-the-276-pedersen-were-pipsqueak-cartridges-in-compariso.html

In regards to 7.62x45 Czech, it would really need to be necked down to 6.5-7mm to perform ideally.  Vs 7.62x39, it delivers around 15% more energy at the muzzle with an 8 gr heavier bullet and an extra 100 fps or so. 

6.5 Grendel, it's main limitation is case capacity.  It really needs a larger, preferably longer case for optimal performance. 
And short squat case, necked down like it is, throat erosion on the barrel is a serious concern, especially it talking military rates of fire.  6.5 Grendel also requires an 18"+ barrel for ideal performance...
More here: http://www.gdiengineering.com/wordpress/2012/07/14/why-most-6-5mm-cartridges-are-great-but-6-5-grendel-is-just-okay/
And discussion on the 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel, primarily in regards to barrel length, here: http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-6-8-spc-a-different-perspective/
5.56 vs 6.5 Grendel, velocity is particularly important as is bullet performance (heavier bullets tend to tumble later than lighter bullets): http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-223-556-ballistics-hunting-combat/
About how 6.5 Grendel is enough better: http://weaponsman.com/?p=5798
Again, not advocating either as I think an ideal intermediate cartridge needs a case bigger than can fit in a 5.56 designed rifle -- also to allow parts to be designed around cartridge as well which should substantially reduce drawbacks discussed in last links.
Notably, both 6.8 SPC and 6.5 G, both have about ~50% more bullet drop at 250 yards (3-4 inches more drop) and 500 yards (~25 inches more drop).  And both have ~1/3rd more drop at 750 yards.  All of these vs 55 and 62gr 5.56 rounds... At 1000 yards, 5.56 has dropped ~40 inches less than 6.5 G and ~80 inches less than 6.8 spc.  5.56 drops about 465 inches at 100 yards. 
I think that the bullet drop/trajectory is very important, which is why more velocity and greater case capacity is needed.  Without a flat shooting bullet, hits at range become much more dependent on proper range estimations than does 5.56...  On a static range, heavier bullets with less wind drift are a plus as you can walk your bullets in -- and once you know your hold, wind is much less likely to get you off target.  On 2 way ranges, wind drift is less of a concern when considering movement of targets, limited time of exposure, cone of fire, multiple targets in same general area, rapidly changing target distance, etc...

I understand that CZ USA is selling the Bren as a "carbine."  But carbines are intended to be light and handy...  From all I've seen and the one I briefly handled at the gun store, the Bren is too heavy and blocky to excel as a carbine.  And the CZUB marketing I've seen identifies it as a "rifle."
IMO, the weapon system is a rifle that they're they're trying fit into the carbine niche rather than vice versa with the VZ58...  I also think AKs are better as rifles than carbines...  AR15s I look at as best as carbines, if in 5.56 caliber, all things considered.  For me, it's a factor of both handling and weight (barrel length, compactness, etc also matter), but weight I use ~7lbs unloaded and no mag as the dividing line between a modern military rifle and a carbine.  Weight is a biggie for me.  Overall form factor for storage/carry on person probably 2nd, and handling/handiness 3rd...  YMMV.
To be clear, I don't think it's bad that it's a rifle and not a carbine, it's just different.  And throwing the BATF, etc, definitions out the window. 
For instance, I think Galil's are exceptional rifles, but even the Galil SAR  w/ 13" barrel weighs over 8lbs.  While a carbine-length barrel with according drawbacks, it's weight definitely puts it into a rifle zone for me, a compact rifle but a rifle nonetheless.  If you have to carry it, you'll know it's there and it will likely become more of a burden.
In use, I see a carbine is something you can carry or sling up and go about daily activities with minimal limitations or discomfort from having it there.  It's a reduced form and weight rifle designed for convenience of carry and use, importantly primarily designed to be fired w/ a stock as accuracy is important (if wanting to fire from the hip and have even more compactness w/ no stock, I'd personally go w/ pistol caliber subguns over rifles).  I see rifles as being designed to be optimal at a specific purpose, including fighting, where weight and form factor are a concern but not the primary one -- the primary goal being an optimized durability, reliability, caliber, ballistics, etc, for the intended use of that weapon in concert with other military arms, tactics, etc...  Generally, I see rifles as running 7-10 lbs.  Though this weight is a penalty when carrying it about, it is a bonus when firing for reducing recoil among other factors.  I suppose think back to the thought process dividing the M1 Carbine and M1 Garand for use among WW2 troops.
Anything above 10lbs I see as more of a special purpose weapon like heavy barreled sniper rifle, etc. 
And note that optics and other attached accessories are not included in the above weights (all furniture should be included however), so often carbines with optics will fall into rifle weights, and rifles will fall into special purpose weights, etc... 

What I like about the VZ58 is that it seems to be a pretty ideal carbine for me in all factors but ammo weight and tinker toy build-ability vs the AR15 in 5.56.  7.62x39 excels in the sub 300 yards/meters envelope, the weapon and mags are very lightweight, and the weapon design is truly robust and proven to take rifle-like levels of abuse.  That increased durability is often one reason for the increased weight of rifles, but the VZ58 design just doesn't need the weight...
Now the VZ58 could be modernized and improved but that's a separate discussion.
   I guiess war and peace was not a long book.