Author Topic: Ruger or Kadet  (Read 2752 times)

Offline NiteXtractor

Ruger or Kadet
« on: February 09, 2002, 05:36:30 AM »
I like to practice a lot to improve my accuracy and speed. However .40 S&W ammo is costly even with reload. I am considering getting a 22 for additional practice. What do you guys suggest? Ruger or Kadet? Why?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 07:00:50 AM »
I have said for years the best 22 handgun on the market is the Ruger Mark II. The only drawback is the dissassembly/reassembly for cleaning! I have never fired a Kadet kit, but it sounds like the best of both worlds.
               Dave

Offline SEE ZEE

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 07:13:16 AM »
I own both the Kadet and the MKII,  by far to improve accuracy with the 40 and you own a 75B I would buy the Kadet.  Only down side of the Kadet is that it a little bit more finicky with ammo than the MKII,  I have installed the new firing pin and still have a lot more FTF in the Kadet than the MKII.  Both seem to have great accuracy and neither would be a wrong choice.

Offline JUNGLE MAN MOD

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2002, 07:32:22 AM »
With the Kadet kit you would still be using the same frame as your 75. This means only one trigger to get used to and you are improving the trigger pull at the same time... Kadets are fantastic...

Walt-Sherrill

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2002, 07:54:37 AM »
Easy answer: get the Kadet adapter kit.

I had a Ruger Target Competition -- the slabside model -- and traded it off soon after getting my Kadet Adapter kit.

The kit was essentally AS ACCURATE at the Target Competition, and allowed me to practice with my CZ frame which, as noted, allows you more trigger time with the SAME trigger pull.

(The happy part of this story was that the gun I traded the Target Competition for was a EAA Witness Sport Long Slide, a .45, which is slowly becoming my favorite gun.  It may even surplant my CZ-85 Combat as favorite...)

Offline derf

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2002, 06:17:05 PM »
I, too, have both a Kadet kit for my 85 and a Ruger Mark II. If your main interest is improving your shot with the .40 CZ, the Kadet is the way to go.  The only drawback to the Kadet kit is you must choose either/or.  With the Ruger you can have a .40 and a .22 at the same time.
Turkish: "What's that for?"
Tommy: "Protection."
Turkish: "Protection from what, ze Germans?"

polemis

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2002, 07:53:24 PM »
Kadet -- no question about it. I had a Ruger MKII Target model. When I bought the Kadet Kit for my CZ85B, and used it a bit, I quickly decided to sell the Ruger. The Kadet is as accurate, or more so. The ability to shoot with your regular trigger is another plus. Field stripping and cleaning the Kadet is so much easier than the Ruger, you will be very happy you made the move. And you can mail order the Kadet Kit without having to go through a FFL dealer  -- ship directly to your address.

Swapping back and forth between the Kadet and your CZ75/85 slide is as easy as removing a slide and replacing it. You can feep the other in your pocket if you wish to have both at hand.

As for ammo in the Kadet, I have had no failures to feed, fire or anything else in mine.

Trigger-Creep

Ruger or Kadet
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2002, 08:56:32 PM »
I learned about the advantages of having a 22 conversion Kit with the Colt 1911 .45acp and Colt ACE .22lr. Shooting the same frame creates that muscle and mental training to make better shots instinctively. Same trigger feel, same operation and functions.

I'm still looking for a SIG P220 45/22 american conversion, if anyone can help.  

I have mounted Kadet kits on 2 different guns. Both operate great and are fairly accurate. I like them and use them to gain more experience with the CZ. I believe it helps with real life defensive shooting.

I won't tell you not to buy a Ruger MKII. They are better for target imo. If your interests are purely target, try one. The downside to the MKII is cleaning and disassembly. Maybe I should say re-assembly. It will make a guy cry. I found and installed a simple device (replaces vertical pin) that makes takedown and assembly easier for cleaning, but it was a bit pricey.

I would suggest instead of the Ruger for target, look for an old High Standard. They can be found for less than the Ruger and are superior in quality, value and ease of cleaning.

I have several 22's. I couldn't part with any of them. I like my Kadet and shoot it often.

Trig ;)

anything