Author Topic: Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Successes  (Read 185791 times)

Gun-nut-2K1

Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Successes
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 04:38:24 PM »
I own a Blued Compact 10mm that is my main carry/trunk gun. 100% reliable after some polishing and +5% mag springs. I have shot one hole groups at 10 yards. This gun is far more accurate than I am. You just gotta love a 10mm this small. :hat  

I also have a Wonder finish Full Size 45acp. This gun is a breeze to shoot. Accurate and reliable. I am able to place all 10 rounds with in the 9 ring at 25 yards. Most rounds land in the 10 or X ring. This gun is to big for most carry for me but it is on my short list of "go to" guns.

I sell a heck of a lot of the Witness line at gun shows. We normaly sell out in fact. It's great to hear grown men yell to thier buddys across the show "HEY I FOUND ONE!!!!!!"  ;)

Offline elitehunter

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
I purchased one of the hunter models in 45 acp :rolleyes last year and it has quickly become one of my favorite auto pistols. With a 4 power scope mounted on it I have gotten some 5 shot groups a little under 2'' at 50 yards. I figure a 1911 with that kind of accuracy will cost you at least $1,500.00 or almost twice what I paid for the eaa hunter. I killed 3 whitetailed deer with it this past deer season using +p level handloads with 185gr xtp bullets. The xtp's completly penetrated all 3 deer and all were one shot kills. I felt the damage was impressive for such a small or rather slow caliber. I have also killed some small game with it and it makes a good bush hoggin gun when loaded with cci shot shells. A bush hoggin gun is one you keep in your tractor to shoot the mice and rats as they flee while your bush hogging or plowing a field. I have probably put around 1,200 rounds through it and it chews everything up exept the occasional hick up with swc target loads. I do not carry this gun for defense but would love to find one of the stock models for that purpose. I think you get a lot more for your money with these pistols than with most other makes. I really like the fact that many eaa models come from the factory allready set up for optics. My screen name is elite hunter because I've been looking for more pistols in the witness elite line without success since I got my hunter model. The local gun shop guys give me funny looks when I ask them if they can find me one. I'm really interested in the elite and stock models  and would appreciate any info about where I could find one of these models. If anyone knows please email me at ryiken@myway.com. Thanks

Offline Grayrider

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 07:36:01 AM »

The best way to get the Elite guns is straight from EAA.  Call them and speak to Marc Galli at extension 210.  Tell him I sent you.  He will have the latest scoop on what is coming in, and can arrange to sell any pistol to you via your FFL.  He will also know if any wholesalers have purchased Elite model pistols lately in case EAA does not have what you want in stock.

GR

Offline elitehunter

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
Thanks, Grayrider I'll try to get a hold of Mark as soon as possible. Also I was wondering if anyone has had any success with converting the 45acp witness pistols to the 45super cartridge. I haven't yet seen anyone doing this with the witness but have seen the CZ- 97 converted for the super. I could be wrong but I figure if the witness can handle the 10mm then it should be strong enough to handle the 45 super as well.

Gun-nut-2K1

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 01:04:50 PM »
I know the Elite is hard to get. We have had two Match 10mm in stock and most of the other Standard Blue and Wonder finish guns for a while now. I have been trying to get the boss to order one of the Elite for me but they are just not in our network so to speak.

Offline mainmech48

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
I've had my Wonderfinished full-sized Witness 9x19 for about ten years now. Perhaps the best handgun bargain I've ever gotten. Paid $225 OTD for it, LNIB w/2 hi-cap mags at Bradi's in Camby, IN.

It has been 100% reliable in more than 5K rds. of both ball and JHP ammo in a wide assortment of makes, both surplus and commercial. I have had exactly one failure to fire: a "dead" primer in an old surplus lot. It has never failed to feed or extract.

It shoots precisely to my POA at 25 M with 115 gr. ball OTB, and only about 2" high with 124 gr. NATO ball. Nearly all standard pressure commercial JHPs in the same weight ranges that I've yet tried correspond so closely that no correction has been necessary, for all practical purposes.

I would very much like to try it in a Ransom rest sometime. If I can shoot sub-3" ten shot groups from a bench and bags at the 25 yd. line with my aging, bifocal-clad eyes, I'd bet that the gun is capable of a not-inconsiderable bit more. I've done this on several occasions with WW 115 gr. Silvertips, Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shoks, and Federal "Match" 124 gr. ball. Almost everything else will fall into a 4-5" average most days which
is about par for me, given the dodgey eyes and inconsistent technique I'm prone to, with most service-grade handguns.

Offline stretch64

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 10:17:50 PM »
I bought my EAA Witness 45 in '94, two of them actually. One duo-tone and one blue . Still have the duo-tone and I've lost track of how many rounds have gone through it. Worst thing was trying to find a holster for it--"You have a whaaat?" Finally found that a Bianchi 7L for the Sig 226 fits it pretty well.

Accuracy is about 4" at 25yds one handed or two. Never shot it off a rest to see how accurate it really is, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

When I first got it the only thing it wouldn't feed reliably was LSWC ammo. It would skive the shoulder off the top-side of the bullet when chambering. Polishing the feed ramp and radiusing the edge on the barrel chamfer fixed that.

I've never shot in any competitions, but I've killed a lot of rabid, man-eating paper targets with it.

Thankfully I've never had to use it defensively, but I keep it loaded with Cor-Bon flying ashtrays when not at the range.

If anyone is wondering about the longevity of the pistols, I can tell you that after 12 years the only wear on mine is a little polishing (very little) on the rails and barrel support. These frames are tough!

Went out to the range today for the first time this year. Shooting from a rest at 25yds.--6" group strung vertically to the right of center "What the...?!!". Moved the target in to 15yds. and left nothing but daylight where the 9-ring of a 100yd smallbore rifle target used to be with some flyers in the six and seven ring. Whew! At least I know the problem is me.

Another hundred rounds to knock the rust off my trigger finger and back out to 25yds. 10 rounds 3.5" just to the right of center from a rest. That's more like it!

Offline Rod Slinger

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
Sent my new Witness 45 in for warranty.  The gun was shooting low of point of aim and Paul at EAA said they would repair under warranty.   EAA received the gun on Monday and I had it back Friday the same week!  I still can not believe quality of the work proformed on my 45.  Anything that could affect  accuracy or fuction was touched, and the execution is the equal to work from the best custom shops.  I now have a tac driving 45.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Gun-nut-2K1

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »
That is really great to hear. Sounds like at least the warranty dept is turning around.

Cobra44

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 11:02:23 AM »
1.) Accuracy: I found the Accuracy of my EAA Witness Compact to be equal to if not better than any other weapon I have owned.
2.) Feeding Reliability with hollow points or semi-wad cutters: I have not used Simi wad cutter bullets in these weapons, so I can respond to that issue, however I have used Hollow Points and found that for me the Hollow point Bullet that preformed absolutely flawlessly was the Hornady XTP/HP in 155 GR., and 180 GR.
3.) Target Matches you placed well in or game you have killed: Unfortunately I cannot respond to this issue, as I have Emphysema and am unable to participate in these activities.
4.) Use as home defensive arm or CCW: I use this weapons both Home Defense and CCW.
5.) Any other comments you may have: One major complaint is that Leather Holsters are very hard to find for these weapons.

Offline Big Gay Al56

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 05:34:07 PM »
1.) Accuracy: For a combat handgun, more than adequate for my needs.
2.) Feeding Reliability with hollow points or semi-wad cutters:  I don't use semi-wad cutters, but with hollow points and FMJ, I've had NO problems at all.
3.) DNA
4.) Use as home defensive arm or CCW: I use this weapons both Home Defense and CCW.
5.) Any other comments you may have: After having seen the review in TR magazine, I wish I'd gotten mine in Blue instead of the "Wonder" finish.  Oh well. :)

Offline AndyGe

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »
Two used Springfield P9 .40 S&W Factory Comps, One with a flattened trigger, converted to SA, trigger lightened to1-3/4lb, BSA red dot, two port factory comp. Off hand it shoots Winchester white box 165 gr fp less than 2" at 25yards. Gun is more accurate than I am. The other is factory, no mods. Shoots just the same. Best pistols I have ever shot. Tried a bunch of different ammo, only thing it didn't like was the S&B stuff, tended to stovepipe occasionally, besides that S&B stuff is dirty. Since I have had them (about a year each), I've put about 3,500 rounds through each. Biggest problem I ahve is finding hi cap mags for them. I also have a Loaded Springfield Trophy Match in .45acp.

Cobra44

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
The only problem I had was with the EAA Witness Compact, in 40 S&W, it didn't like Hollow Points especially if they were the very agressive open style but I spoke wit my reloader Mfg. and he juggested putting a ver mild taper crimp on the brass no more than .020" which I tried and it seemed to cure the problem and stopped the stovepiping in the Feed. Never had another problem after that, and it would domp a Mag. as fast as I could pull the trigger, so I was very satisfied after that.

Luckyshooter1

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 06:18:26 AM »
Well Took First place in ESP Marksman in the Virginia Indoor Regional with an Elite Match in 9mm. Second was taken with just  a plain Witness in 9mm.
have a good one Luckyshooter1
EAA the anti-Glock

nrd515

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 02:05:34 AM »
I've had my Witness 45 full sized in the wonder finish for a couple of months now. Absolutely zero problems, except the factory mag liked to pop out on firing if not shoved in really hard. This problem disapeared after a few dozen inserts and removals. The two aftermarket mags haven't had this issue.

Slide to frame fit is amazing, no wiggle at all, and it feels smooth as glass. I have a friend who is a Sig fanatic, and he is very impressed with it, and wants to buy one too, in 9mm.

Basically it's been perfect. It's had about 500 rounds through it, with no FTF's at all. I am very happy with this pistol, and probably won't be selling it to get a CZ97b, as I originally thought I would be doing.

anything