Author Topic: The mouse in the garage. Did I ever share that one here? I searched  (Read 769 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
My father-in-law built a one car plus garage out back of his new house the old fashioned way.  He bought rough cut oak lumber from a local saw mill and used tin from a torn down building for the roof.  It had two small windows on each side, one large window in the back and a couple of barn style doors in the front to get the vehicle in/out.  There was a rear door you could walk in/out of that was covered with the same used roofing tin as the roof.

He had a big oak work bench in the back by the big window.  The window lifted up from the bottom and had props on both sides so you could open it and it would stay up and keep the rain/snow off the barrel of your rifle when you were loading/shooting new loads for deer hunting/plinking (deer hunting rounds were used for plinking, too)

I had my car in the garage one night changing spark plugs, rotor button, distributory cap, etc. and my father-in-law had come out to see what I was doing.  It was a weekend, so he'd been drinking that scotch he liked.

I had the hood up and was checking the timing (sometimes, if the distributor hold down wasn't really good and tight, and I was winding it up pretty good  - just a now and then thing for 20 year old, you know).  He reached down, pulled the wire off the #1 plug, stuck his trigger finger up in the boot and moved his thumb close to the spark plug.  As he watched that blue fire jump from his thumb to the plug he looked up and said, "Got a good coil/sparkplug wire on this one, see how bright/blue the arc is?'  I was pretty surprised.  Those GM HEI coils put out over 30,000 volts.  He plugged the #1 wire back on and pulled the #2 off and did the same, while telling me to take a closer look.  I got too close.  That 30,000 plus volts hit me in the shoulder and felt like somebody had smacked me with a flat board.  I jumped back and he just laughed at me and checked the last two.

Meanwhile, I saw a field mouse running across one of the rafters/ceiling joists into the shadows on the other side of the garage.  I mentioned to him that he had a mouse in his garage.  He told me there weren't any mice in "his" garage.  A few minutes later, I saw it again and pointed it out to him.

He got to mumbling under his breath and headed out of the garage.  He was back in a few minutes with his old Colt Frontier Scout revolver.  We stood there talking and the mouse ran across the floor and started up the wall on one of the exposed studs.  My father-in-law popped that old revolver up, squeezed off a shot from the hip and the little mouse fell to the floor and kicked a couple times (didn't even bleed much.  My father-in-law said, " Ain't no mouse in here now."  I said, "Yeah, but you just shot a hole in the wall of your new garage."  His reply, "Yeah, but it's a little hole."

You may ask about shooting from the hip.  That was his way.  My mother-in-law used to have a bag of quarters and nickels she had tossed into the air for him to draw that Colt and shoot them.  Some where hit towards the edge and just bent, some had holes in  them.  He told me one time that he would buy a brick of .22 ammo every Friday evening on the way to work and he'd shoot that brick up by Sunday afternoon.

He never had a full sized Colt but he loaded and carried that Frontier Scout the same as you would a Colt SAA.  That equals out to 100 cylinders of practice every weekend.  Oh, my father-in-law ate, wrote and shot his rifles and shotguns left handed.  He shot his handguns right handed.  I asked why.  The response was, "When I was growing up there wasn't no such thing as a left handed holster, so I had to buy a right handed holster and learn to shoot a handgun right handed."

Another one of those long ago tales about folks that lived different than we do now and have passed on.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline nicky

Re: The mouse in the garage. Did I ever share that one here? I searched
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
Good story.

They don't make them like they use to.

Men and cars with NO DARN COMPUTER.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
Like!  Good story,  and I believe every word. 
My grandparents' family were from rural Tennessee.  Shooting Rifles and shotguns  were as common as using a cell phone is now.   As a child we visited them each summer.  Grandma would cook the "one" squirrel or rabbit I would shoot with my 22 rifle and bring back all swelled up with pride. 

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
That man was phenomenal with any gun he had in his hands.

First time I saw him shoot a handgun he grabbed his Ruger Super Blackhawk and took a shot at a sign on a dirt road way down in the woods from home.  He looked at me and said, "I think that one when a little high."  I thought, but didn't say it, Yeah, right.  The next four shots I watched the sun glint off the bullet/metal fragments flying off the back of the sign.  I was in the Infantry, big guy, 103 of my steps was 100 meters (remember landnav? you army guys).  I paced off 175 yds. from the truck to the sign.  Yup, four nice new .44 magnum holes in the sign.  At 175 yds.

I've seen a bunch of guys in the back yard shooting their .22 rifles at various targets back in the woodline.  They'd be giving each other a hard time for missing stuff with their rifles and he'd shoot it with his Ruger Single Six (he got to worrying about the Colt and bought a Single Six and pretty much put the Colt away - I still have it, in a worn old brown Colt box).

One of the guys I used to work with told me they were deer hunting one day and hadn't seen a thing in the woods.  As they walked back down the road to the trucks one of them looked across a big old holler and saw some deer under a tree in a field.  He stopped and pointed out the deer with the comment, "No wonder we can't find'em in the woods, they're out in that field."  My father-in-law looked up, said, "That one at the back is a buck."  Raised his Remington 742 (30.06) up and with one shot dropped that buck from one mountain top to the next.  They estimated it to be between 400 and 500 yds.  An offhand shot, on the spur of the moment, after a hard day of walking the mountain woods deer hunting.  They got in their trucks and drove around the road, parked, climbed over the fence and walked up to the 8 point buck lying dead in the grass.

He used to take that 742 out the weekend before deer season and shoot the heads off a couple/three squirrels just for the fun of it.  He only shot Rem. 180 grain corlokt, or 220 grain if he couldn't fine any 180's in stock at the local stores.  Big round for squirrels, but small targets (heads only).

That guy sure could shoot.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything