Author Topic: Bren 805 cheek pad surprise  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Obiwan

Bren 805 cheek pad surprise
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »
Perhaps I'm making a fool out of myself, and everyone but me was aware of this. And perhaps I need to change my handle to Mr Obvious after this post, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I don't recall if I read this here on the forum, on a different forum, or heard it in a Youtube video. I do recall at least two people complaining about the cheek pad on the factory stock. The complaint was that when you extend the stock, the cheek pad is at the back, not enough forward for  comfortable cheek weld.

Today, I tried to pull the cheek pad off and wanted to see if I could position it more forward. It was a bit of a pain to pry it off, and even more of a pain to clip it back on.

BUT THEN I noticed that, when properly attached, it slides WITH EASE forward and back. You extend the stock and simply push the cheek pad forward. (May need a slight slap to break loose). You can extend the stock fully and move the cheek pad all the way forward. And, when you want to collapse the stock, just collapse it. The cheek pad will be driven back automatically.

It moves easily, yet stays on firm. And of course is removable. Brilliantly simple design, as we come to expect from CZ of course.

I just wasn't aware it moves fore and back. That really surprised the heck out of me. So if you're one of those that extends the stock fully, make sure you move the cheek pad forward for a comfortable cheek weld.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Bren 805 cheek pad surprise
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »
Hmm, never noticed, hadn't tried it.  8)

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Thank goodness I'm not alone! :)  I knew the pad was removable. I just didn't know it was "movable". :)

Offline Type5

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
I am supposed to pick up my first 805, a black carbine today.
I already purchased another type of stock from CZ-USA, in part, for this reason.
It will be interesting to try what you recommend.
Thanks for the tip!

Offline Type5

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
I just came from my dealer. With my 1st 805.
With the stock locked in place, the forend on my left knee, the rear of the receiver on my right knee, I place my right hand, Palm down, on the cheek riser and impart a twisting motion to rotate the riser around the axis of the stock - this flexes the riser clear of the ribs on the stock and allows one to slide the riser fore or aft.
Applying more rotational force allow the rises to be removed from the stock all together.
Great post by the original poster!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:08:51 PM by Type5 »

Offline Bret

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but it's 100% relevant to the configuration of my 805's setup.  Though I've had my 805 for years, I've never actually shot it.  Since I had some time today, I decided to setup an ACOG on it.  What I quickly discovered is that I had to get much closer to the scope to get to the correct eye relief.  The first thing that I did was drop the idea of using a 4x32 ACOG due to its short eye relief.  I went with a 3.5x35 ACOG instead due to its longer eye relief.  I pushed the rear backup sight forward in order to get the ACOG as far rearward as possible.  What I then discovered is that the cheek rest is too low and too far back.  In hopes of finding an aftermarket cheek rest, I did an internet search.  This thread was top of the list.  I couldn't get the cheek rest to move forward by hand, but a slight tap with a plastic hammer did the job.  Now I have the correct eye relief.  Unfortunately, the cheek rest is still not high enough.  I'm open to suggestions to get me more height.  As far as design intent goes, I don't think that CZ intended on the cheek riser being placed in this forward position.  I think that they just intended on it being rotated 180 degrees.  It is slightly looser in the forward position.  That said, I'm going with it.

Before:

After:

anything