Author Topic: I Replaced the Recoil Spring on my CZ40P  (Read 3563 times)

Offline desertrat23

I Replaced the Recoil Spring on my CZ40P
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:57:27 PM »
On my CZ40P, I have had too many failure to feed, jamming on the feed ramp. Following advice on this forum, I have installed a 20 lb Wolff spring (for CZ75). I shortened the spring by 3 turns and replaced the plastic guide rod with a stainless one from MSC. I shortened the stainless rod so it just protrudes from the front of the frame. I checked and the slide will lock back. So far, so good I think.
QUESTION: Should the new spring/guide rod be installed WITH or WITHOUT the original plastic spring bushing?

Thanks all.

Offline Nubia

Re: I Replaced the Recoil Spring on my CZ40P
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
From my experience since you installed the new stainless steel guide rod you don't need the bushing... I have the same gun and don't use the poly bushing. No issues. In fact I had sent my 40P to Cajun gun works and it came back without the bushing.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Offline desertrat23

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
 :)  Thanks for the reply. I'll remove it and I'm off to see the results this morning.
If you have a moment, tell me more about Cajun Gun Works.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
That bushing is necessary!

It is a buffer to prevent the Colt slide from impacting the CZ frame.  This is a frankengun and that is why the bushing is needed.  I wouldn't run it without the bushing.

Manually rack the slide with and without the buffer and see what happens when the slide reaches full lock back where it stops.  If I remember correctly it potentially will bind (and potentially lock up with enough force) in the rear/open position.  That bushing is a buffer to prevent that from happening.  Without that bushing the recoil spring is probably absorbing all the force during recoil (full stacking of the spring).

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline desertrat23

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
Thanks to all for your opinions. I really like the size, appearance and accuracy of the 40P but have had occasional FTF ever since I bought it.
3 days ago I fired it with (a) standard magazine springs (b) a Wolff 20 lb spring with no buffer and the MSC stainless guide rod, cut so it barely protrudes from the end of the frame. (c) I used both magazines which I disassembled, cleaned, lightly lubricated (d) used 2 brands of factory ammunition. Result, no malfunctions in about 50 rounds. For now, hooray.

desertrat23 in Mesa, AZ

Offline handgun2

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
congrats!  keep us posted on this reliability thing.. try to keep a range count going forward to keep adding too.. you just don't know 'who' else will 'learn' or 'appreciate this thread",   I do.  I always try to keep learning.

respectfully,
K in MI

Offline Stuart

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
I was always told the delrin bushing was needed to protect the frame.

but this was many many years ago when I had one.
but that was so long ago and I have looked at one since.