Author Topic: Baby Desert Eagle 3 Adjustable Sights  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Kramsy

Baby Desert Eagle 3 Adjustable Sights
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
My new Beagle 3 shoots 6 inches low at 25 yards, confirmed by some very good firearms instructors.  Do any adjustable sights fit this model made by BUL? Ps otherwise its an awesome gun!

Offline BARNY

Offline BARNY

Re: Baby Desert Eagle 3 Adjustable Sights
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:14:14 AM »
My new jericho also shoots low with 3 different shooters. It's my only complaint with the gun tho. did some polishing and changed some springs and it has a great trigger. shoots well, very soft shooter, groups as well as my SP01 SHADOW which has been modded with trigger, hammer , sights etc. Just wish it had the frame mounted safety

Offline n3wwn

• He's just this guy... ya know?!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
I JUST ORDERED THESE. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT THEY LOOK GOOD.http://www.stockandforendforshotgun.com/en/tr-trt-mps-series/225-tanfoglio-force-compact-eaa-witness-jericho-new-model-dovetail-472-12mm.html
How'd those sights work out for you?   I've got a BDE3 steel frame in 9mm that shoots about 2" low at 7 yds, so about 6" low at 25 yds, too.

Really want to get an adjustable rear sight for it!

Did it take much fitting?  How's the elevation adjustment once it's properly zeroed?  Is there still more adjustment left?

Thanks!

-Rich

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline n3wwn

• He's just this guy... ya know?!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
How'd those sights work out for you?   I've got a BDE3 steel frame in 9mm that shoots about 2" low at 7 yds, so about 6" low at 25 yds, too.

Really want to get an adjustable rear sight for it!

Did it take much fitting?  How's the elevation adjustment once it's properly zeroed?  Is there still more adjustment left?

I'm going to follow-up to my own question in case it will help anyone else.

This is the sight I ordered, but I got it from Crosman for $39.99 (http://www.crosman.com/lpa-mim-rear-sight).

There was absolutely zero fitting of the dovetail required.  The BDE3 has two dimples at the bottom of the dovetail that the set screws sink into.  If the set screws are properly backed out enough, the old sight comes off with only a little hand pressure and the new sight goes in just as easily.

I did not Loctite the set screws at first, but you will need to before considering the project complete. 

The reason I did not Loctite immediately was that I wasn't sure if the sight had enough elevation adjustment.  I had to adjust the sight up quite a bit to get it to fit on the slide, so I pulled it off and filed the bottom rear of the sight blade at an angle.  I removed enough material that I could adjust the sight all the way down and still have a few thousandths (perhaps a hundredth) of clearance between the slide and sight blade. 

This turned out to be about perfect as I didn't have to adjust elevation once we got to the range, only a little windage tweak to zero the sights.

Since this is my wife's gun, the zero is set for about 10 yards right now.  I used blue Loctite on the set screws so I can remove it later without too much trouble, if needed.  The way I applied the Loctite was to remove the sight, removed the set screws from the bottom of the sight, added the Loctite to the screws while still on the Allen wrench and backed them back into the sight.  I then re-installed the sight and tightened the set screws into the dimples.

If she starts moving the targets further back, we'll have to pull the sight and file a little more off the bottom of the bland and possibly file a bit off the elevation screw threads (or add a shim/washer) to gain a little more "down" elevation adjustment as the bullet is still climbing at 10 yards.  At about 25 yards, it's printing about 1.5" high, which is still much better than the 6" low with the fixed factory sight.