Author Topic: Anyone use an anti cant device level?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline EddieE

Anyone use an anti cant device level?
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »
Been doing lots of reading and not enough shooting. I see the point of the scope mounted levels for long range shooting, but at the 100 yards that I would be shooting my CZ 455 .22 LR, is there a need for it?

Those that are shooting the amazingly tight groups, do you use one of these levels?

Offline Joe L

Re: Anyone use an anti cant device level?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
I think the level helps consistency even at 100 yards with a low velocity 22lr  rifle.  It is a necessity to me at 500 meters with a .308 at 2600 fps.   I say try it.  Hardest thing for me to do is to remember to check it before each shot. 
Joe

CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline targetmaster

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Joe. I recently started using one. Knowing that the 22 round is so finicky, I believe that it can't help but help. The more minor things you eliminate that effect your shooting the better shot you will be. Less chance of human error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline EddieE

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Looks like I will be buying on. Now to figure out how to square it against my scope.

Any particular brand that you guys recommend? Seems to my I will need a swivel type bipod instead of the solid bipod I got, correct?

Install tips appreciated.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
I got an anti-cant level that is visible on the left side of the scope when the rifle is shouldered in my right shoulder.  First, level the scope to the gun so the vertical cross hair goes through the center of the bore. Then I adjust the anti cant level from a table or bench.  I put the rifle on the table with the swivel tightened down some so the gun won't move too easily.  Then I set the 24" level 20-40 feet out, vertical or horizontal, on another table or armed chair with it levelled or vertical.  Then view the 24" level through the scope and rotate the gun at the swivel so that you line up the scope crosshairs with the 24"level edge.  So the scope reticle is now level with the 24"  level.  Then I adjust the anti-cant bubble level without disturbing the gun so that it shows level when the scope hairs are level with the 24" level.  You have to check the anti-cant level after it has been tightened.  Don't overtighten or it will damage the scope. 

Joe

Offline SerenityNetworks

• EzySetup
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
What Joe said.

I like my Vortex level.
NRA Life Member
There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
I like my Vortex level.

I think that is what I have on two rifles.
Joe

Offline targetmaster

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
I used a Wheeler level. It has a folding bracket where you can fold it out of the way when you store your gun. Runs about $35 and well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline EddieE

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
I got an anti-cant level that is visible on the left side of the scope when the rifle is shouldered in my right shoulder.  First, level the scope to the gun so the vertical cross hair goes through the center of the bore. Then I adjust the anti cant level from a table or bench.  I put the rifle on the table with the swivel tightened down some so the gun won't move too easily.  Then I set the 24" level 20-40 feet out, vertical or horizontal, on another table or armed chair with it levelled or vertical.  Then view the 24" level through the scope and rotate the gun at the swivel so that you line up the scope crosshairs with the 24"level edge.  So the scope reticle is now level with the 24"  level.  Then I adjust the anti-cant bubble level without disturbing the gun so that it shows level when the scope hairs are level with the 24" level.  You have to check the anti-cant level after it has been tightened.  Don't overtighten or it will damage the scope. 

Joe

Thanks for the instruction Joe. Haven't been able to purchase one yet. Just did the trigger spring with a Fastenal #162-A and what a difference.