Author Topic: FN 509...  (Read 17668 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: FN 509...
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
I watched that other "torture test" video guy who put the P-10C right through "the gauntlet" that MAC uses, and since it didn't fail, he did it again until it did. Go figure. i am putting mine through the realistic gauntlet - lint.

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »
I watched that other "torture test" video guy who put the P-10C right through "the gauntlet" that MAC uses, and since it didn't fail, he did it again until it did. Go figure. i am putting mine through the realistic gauntlet - lint.

Yep
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline villdetwink

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Well, I can admit when I have put my foot in my mouth...   :o
When the FN 509 was first announced, I was pretty butt hurt that the P-10c hadn't been released yet.

Even though I thought I would pick up the FN 509 before the P-10c... I ended up getting the P-10c first, and I am glad I did.
It is, IHMO, the best stiker-fired pistol out there.
I have a little over 1000rds through it, and only a single magazine caused failure the first day out.

My brother picked up a 509, and while it is a good shooter...I don't think it offers anything more for me than my FNS-9 does.
So, it is now on my maybe, possibly someday, if I can get one at a good price... I might pick it up list.

I saw that as well, Honest Outlaw puts out some good material.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:59:56 PM by villdetwink »

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
I watched that other "torture test" video guy who put the P-10C right through "the gauntlet" that MAC uses, and since it didn't fail, he did it again until it did.

Which is why I don't put much stock in these torture tests.  Any gun, on any given day, could fail a torture test and then, not fail it again, forever.

Offline villdetwink

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »
I watched that other "torture test" video guy who put the P-10C right through "the gauntlet" that MAC uses, and since it didn't fail, he did it again until it did.

Which is why I don't put much stock in these torture tests.  Any gun, on any given day, could fail a torture test and then, not fail it again, forever.

Agreed!

That P10C sure looks a lot like a Glock!

YAWN!   ::)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:46:20 PM by villdetwink »

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

Re: FN 509...I think CZ really dropped the ball on the P10C release
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2017, 04:49:03 AM »
Shot the 509. It was kinda lackluster. Better than  a glock I think, but the trigger was not smooth at all. I know it's a different size htan the APX, but the price of the 509 is not worth it, and the APX blows away the 509.

Just need to try a P10C now.

I just looked at the new FN and the trigger was so gritty that you could actually hear it.
Was not impressed at all , worst feeling striker trigger i ever felt .

I got a 509 for my birthday, the trigger was very gritty, but with a good satisfying break and minimal wall.
Comparing a factory new 509 to a factory new P-07, the 509 would be more accurate since the P-07 wall/break is unusually harsh.
I did not shoot it after I got it, i stripped it and did a comprehensive polish job, there were several parts that should have been smooth which were not even close. Once everything was polished and relubricated, all the grit was gone, although it still feels like there is a little bit of plastic rub, but that is also smoothing out.
In the 509's defense the P-07 was also pretty bad and needed just as much work.

Im about half way through my 250 round break in quota, only malfunctions so far have been failures to fully lock back the slide, and that was because of excess lubrication getting all over the slide lock area, flung off the recoil spring and rails, where I put about twice as much as I should have. Other points of note, its much harder to load the mags than the P07, the spring is stronger and the shape of the mag feed lips is narrower and sharper. The mag release is ambi, but a right handed thumb activation does not release the mag unless you press really hard, there is either too much grip plastic in the way or the button needs to stick out more.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
This is the kind of feedback that manufacturers need to hear indeed.

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:41 AM »
I figured out a bit more relating to mag problems after taking one apart

The followers are injection molded plastic, and the spot where the polymer is injected into the mold is not finished very well. The problem is that happens to be one one of the sides that slides against the metal mag body, which is bad. A few mins with a box cutter gets that side smooth, and the follower moves better.

I still need to test it with live rounds to make sure the follower does not tilt in a way that effects feeding, maybe a 1/60th of an inch was removed from the surface

anything