Author Topic: FLINCH  (Read 1314 times)

Offline David0408

FLINCH
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »
I?m new to shooting and my last few sessions I was starting to develop a bad flinch response and couldn?t hit a darn thing. I was determined to overcome it today and did. You know, shooting a pistol is a piece of cake if you just squeeze the trigger and don?t flinch. I shot like Josey Wales today! I took my SP-01 and PCR. LOVE the PCR!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Phlyers13

Re: FLINCH
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »
Nice work!  Keep on practicing!

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
Buy or makeup if you reload some dummy rounds ! Work them into your normal training/shooting sessions and it will help keep your "flinch" at bay !  ;)

Offline nettle

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:54:16 PM »
Dry firing has helped me also.

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:50:54 AM »
Dry firing has helped me also.

Yes, I agree dry firing helps a lot with many things, BUT you "know" the gun is empty so your brain realizes it also and you will not flinch 99.9% of the time I feel. Dummy rounds are the #1 remedy along with repetition & dry firing.  ;)

Offline AVinLo

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 06:47:31 AM »
DITTO.....to everyone that mention dry-fire practice. It's SO TRUE!!! Been shooting for four months and grouping 100 rounds center mass in 3-4" groups. I bought my first pistol in Late July and then my po9 November 28th. I can only get to the range one sometimes three times a week. But, being single with no kids I have all the time in the world to sit and dry-fire practice. Dry fire also helps sight alignment and trigger control because if you have your rear sight centered AND level......you pull trigger(RIGHT HAND SHOOTERS) and rear sight goes right then you're 'too much trigger  finger. And, vice versa if goes to left(too little trigger finger)

AND, shall I say.....this was my experience and what I have personally learned from dry fire practice. Also, I started out shooting average 1 round per 1-2 seconds, so rather difficult to slowly squeeze trigger. When I first stated shootin my target paper looked like i shot it with double-aught buckshot from far away....lol But over time my groupings got smaller and smaller. This is only my opinion  but Shooting fast forces you to learn trigger control sight picture & sight alignment quicker.... as well as grip, stance, etc. ALL the key elements to control recoil and get back on target quicker. This what Ive learned.

I used to get so frustrated but it's all about patience and dry fire practice and this is just my personal opinion AND my personal experience . The proof is in the pudding as they say. I've got so much more to learn as I have no idea how to draw from a holster. All I can do is stand in a stall and shoot at paper, but I'm accurate. LOL. I'm getting ready to post a video I Shot of my range session last night. Just keep practicing and practicing and practicing. I found my true passion in the challenge of becoming a good shooter and sounds like you're on that same path👍👍
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:52:19 AM by AVinLo »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Over the years I've shot with friends who had a reaction to firing their gun (flinch, jerk, whatever = an unwanted movement that resulted in terrible grouping of the fired bullets on the paper/target).

Many time we "argued" about it.  Hey, you're jerking that trigger.  No I'm not.  Okay.  We keep shooting, he keeps jerking the trigger.  I finally load up his revolver for him.  I leave a chamber empty.  Jerk - bang.  Jerk - bang.  Jerk - bang.  Jerk - click.  The action stops.  He turns around to look and me and says, "Hey, I am jerking the trigger."  Then we can fix it - because the shooter realized it really is him and not the revolver or the ammo.

While that's harder to do with a CZ75 semi-auto you can still do it.  Buy some snap caps and have a buddy (at the range) load a mix of live ammo and snap caps into your magazines.  This should help you better analyze what you are doing.

Awhile back I bought a small device that attaches to the rail on my P07/P01 (any pistol with a light rail) called a MantisX.  It can connect to my phone (Bluetooth is neat) and as I dry fire it records movement of the pistol in the microseconds before, during and after trigger pull drops the hammer.  Movement direction and intensity.  And it will graph that movement on your phone screen.  If your pistol doesn't have a light/laser rail they also sell magazine floor plates that allow the attachment of the MantisX.

I've never used the MantisX for live fire but I've read it can be used during live fire, so that makes it more effective/useful than just during dry fire practice. 

If you buy/use one for dry fire, be sure to use either snap caps or the o-ring trick several people here use to protect the firing pin retaining pin from damage through repeated dry fire.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline David0408

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
I?ve been dry firing just to try and break in my new PCR trigger and to really pay attention to how the trigger feels. I think it helped. I have snap caps but don?t have anyone to load them into my mag as I prefer to shoot alone. I think flinching is a mind game. I think I can overcome it just by being aware that I?m doing it and making a conscious decision to stop. That and shooting my gun as much as I can. It?s a lot of fun. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline macktheknife

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
You Must Endeavor To Persevere
PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEFULLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF.

anything