Author Topic: Light primer strikes after RRK installed on SP-01 Tactical  (Read 2296 times)

Offline myczaccount

Light primer strikes after RRK installed on SP-01 Tactical
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
I recently polished the internals and installed the RRK in my SP-01 Tac. I actually took the gun to the range last week without the screws installed (I didn't have loctite at the time) and the gun performed totally, 100% fine (with S&B FMJ 115 gr).

I later installed the upper and lower screws following the CGW instructions. The hammer dropped fine in both DA and SA. However, when I went to the range today, I had multiple light primer strikes (with the same S&B ammo).

I am dumbfounded. The only diff between this trip and last trip is the installation RRK screws into trigger.

For more context, the gun also has:
13# mainspring, RP FP spring, 14# recoil spring, RP trigger return spring.

I have the RP plunger spring in my CGW cart, but it has never been an issue. Like I said, the gun has performed flawlessly until the RRK screws were installed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll need to either remove the screws or reinstall the factory trigger...
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Offline n8vmdpath

Re: Light primer strikes after RRK installed on SP-01 Tactical
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
Not sure how trigger set screws can cause light primer strikes in previously functional setup.  Best to give CGW a call

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
First thing to do is to back off 1 full turn on the O.T. and Reset screws.  Find out which one is causing the trouble.
If one turn is doesn't "fix" the problem, try another turn until it fires reliably.
Why these adjustments are causing the problem you describe,  I don't know. 

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
Thanks. I'm perplexed. I think I'll call CGW
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:15:13 PM »
Ok I just got off the phone with Scott at CGW. He said that I?ll need to back out the over travel screw and it should fix it. I guess that despite the hammer dropping in both DA and SA, the OT screw was still too close to the frame and impacting the timing.

It just seems strange that even though I followed the instructions for installing the Reach Reduction Kit, it still needed more tweaking. Not really sure how one is supposed to know how to properly adjust the OT screw unless doing it at the range itself...

Once I head back to the range, I?ll confirm if it fixes the issue.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »
Let us know how it turns out.  I am tempted to just  leave out both trigger screws. Pre travel isn't really an issue since it 99% SA when I am at the range. Even without any screws installed, there is minimal over travel after hammer drops. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »
OK, just got back from the range. I'm still a bit disappointed. I had to back out the OT screw so far that I can now feel it protruding from the trigger. It is especially problematic in full DA (I.e. when I drop the hammer manually all the way so it's not in half-cock for the first round). I'm wondering if perhaps the pre-travel (upper) screw is having any impact, as well.

The next thing I'll try is ordering and installing the extended FP. Maybe that'll help, bc right now, the OT screw is sticking out of the trigger and I can feel it. Or maybe I'll remove the OT screw altogether. I dunno, but so far this RRK doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline George16

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
Try screwing in the pretravel screw and then adjust your over travel screw again. When I installed my modified recurve trigger and T3 disconnector, I had to allow a little bit of pretravel prior to adjusting the OT screw. Works like a champ now.

I?ll be ordering the RRK disconnector once it in stock so I can install it.

Modified/straightened recurve trigger on the right with pretravel screw I drilled and tapped. Stock shadow 2 trigger on the left side.

Modified recurve trigger with pre and over travel screws.

Stock shadow 2 trigger with over travel screw.

I drilled and tapped for a pre travel screw on this one too. You can see the pretravel screw not adjust yet on this picture. By the time I was done fine tuning it, the pretravel screw was screwed almost all the way in to allow for a bit of pretravel. This little pretravel is important for the reliable functioning of the trigger both in DA/SA. It?s also integral in allowing the trigger to reset the DA. Too far out (no pretravel) and the gun won?t reset and the hammer will just hang to the sear.

You can see the difference in reach for each trigger. I did the adjustments when I was at the shooting range.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:26:15 PM by George16, Reason: Spelling »

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
Thanks, George. I'll try that next trip to the range.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
All pistols have numerous points where "allowable" variations that can "stack" up to make all the various adjustments can be different from gun to gun.  My Shadow and 75B differ a lot.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
All pistols have numerous points where "allowable" variations that can "stack" up to make all the various adjustments can be different from gun to gun.  My Shadow and 75B differ a lot

Amen to that  :)

anything