Author Topic: Alliant Sport Pistol powder  (Read 11464 times)

Offline IDescribe

Re: Alliant Sport Pistol powder
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
I see.  You were trying to show us Alliant's load data.

This thread is about testing Sport Pistol specifically, and more precisely than simply by bullet weight.  You'll find all sorts of threads in this subforum doing extensive testing with various powders and bullets.

The very first post in this thread actually listed all of Alliant's data for Sport Pistol in 9mm, though I see Alliant has added a couple more bullets since that post last year.

Offline durdy1

« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Any one work up any loads for 147 gr fp coated bullet like bayou or acme?

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »
Welcome Aboard !

If you've thumbed through the multiple pages of this thread and don't see any, then I guess this group didn't work up any. But it looks like the reply in post #140 has some data for 145gr which would work quite nicely.

;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:15:09 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline Practical Shooter

• Life's just too short
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
When I decided to try Sport Pistol powder a few month ago, I went all out and bought an 8lb canister.
As of now, all my reloads using other powders have been long gone, so all I am shooting now is SP.
I might be wrong, but the more I shoot that powder, the more it seams like shooting Titegroup.
Powder weight wise, recoil wise and maybe even dirtiness wise.
What are your thoughts about it?

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2018, 12:46:52 AM »
When I decided to try Sport Pistol powder a few month ago, I went all out and bought an 8lb canister.
As of now, all my reloads using other powders have been long gone, so all I am shooting now is SP.
I might be wrong, but the more I shoot that powder, the more it seams like shooting Titegroup.
Powder weight wise, recoil wise and maybe even dirtiness wise.
What are your thoughts about it?

Hmmm yea interesting for sure ! I have been trying to find some Sport Pistol just for the heck of it so I could try it BUT after looking at load Data and your thoughts above and reading most of the 11 pages of posts I think I'll just stick with Titegroup & Universal,,LOL It will save me $$$ and a lot of aggravation ! Not that reloading and working up a load it aggravating but sometimes we see something bright and shinny and thing we need it and heck we already have it !  ;) I will continue to watch and read this thread though, just in case.  8)

Offline wdfwguy

« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
I bought an 8lb jug as well

I've been reloading for almost a year and tried 5 or 6 powders, but this is my favorite.  Meters well, and it's been the most accurate and consistent in all of my 9mm loads.

Offline 2APRO

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
I've been running Blue 147g RN (actual weight 149.9-150.1 for most) over Sport Pistol for quite awhile now in my SP01. For what it's worth I've been using 3.2g-3.3g (my Dillon dispenser sometimes throws .1 high) of Sport Pistol with an OAL of 1.140" using the Blue 147g RN. Mixed brass and Winchester small primers with a taper crimp of .002" (actual measurement is .378"). I get excellent accuracy with this load and it feels nice. It's my current IDPA and USPSA load and has a PF of 133ish in my gun. I know it's not the brands you specified, nor is it a FP, but I hope this helps some.

Offline Sidecar2

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »
I ordered a pound of Alliant Sport Pistol from my LGS. It arrived and was pleasingly inexpensive. Like $25.

Its main claim to fame is that it's designed to work with polymer coated cast bullets.

I loaded up a batch of acrylic-coated bullets with Titegroup and got the worst lead fouling I've ever seen. In three different pistols: the Glock 43, the HK VP9SK and the CZ P-10C.

Lead fouling was so bad the pistols failed to go into battery. Never saw that before, and I've cast my own bullets for .45ACP, .38spl and .357 magnum since the early 80's.

http://snscasting.com/ sells acrylic coated bullets. They are committed to the acrylic coating system. I've bought a lot of them. But they were fouling badly with Titegroup. Their homepage explains that you need a slower, less-hot powder. They recommend Alliant Sport Pistol.

Alliant publishes their recommended Sport Pistol load at http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=42

Have not used it yet as I'm set up for .45ACP and W231 at the moment. After I change back to small primer, I'm loading a bunch of coated 9mm and .380 coated for testing.
If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future. -- Winston Churchill

anything