Author Topic: Just bought my first AR... lower.  (Read 31021 times)

Offline eastman

Re: Just bought my first AR... lower.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
Congratulations.

I first got the AR bug back before the klinton AWB.

After assembling more than I can remember, the last one I built, I jumped in and finally made one from an 80% lower.  After I was finished, I felt like I had made my own lightsaber.  ;D

If you want a real challenge, you could start with one of these - https://www.dsarms.com/p-14036-dsa-ar15-lower-receiver-forging-7075t6-alloy-mil-spec-completely-unmachined.aspx

(a 0% lower)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
Oh man that is a sexy barrel!

Realistically I don't know how often I'll shoot rifle past like 50-100 yards which is why I'm hesitant to get a nice barrel. Primary Arms has so many good deals! It's a dangerous site haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline copemech

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:30 PM »
Oh man that is a sexy barrel!

Realistically I don't know how often I'll shoot rifle past like 50-100 yards which is why I'm hesitant to get a nice barrel. Primary Arms has so many good deals! It's a dangerous site haha

Yes it is!!! Sign up for their email.  AR stuff is cheap right now.

Offline copemech

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:50:05 PM »
Oh, and the build video that I like is done by Larry P. himself from Midway USA. It is on their website and on youtube.

Offline Independent George

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
Congrats! I'm putting the finishing touches on my own first AR build, bit am holding off on completing it until I decide where it will be stored (due to a local AWB).

I also went with the Aero STS lower - I got a blem, too, so it actually cost the same as a standard lower. In the end, though, I got the AXTS Talon safety (which doesn't require the extra notch in the lower), so it wound up being a moot point).

ETA: Primary Arms is my favorite source for AR parts. They have great selection, fast shipping, great customer service, and regularly have absurd (20% off or more) sales on premium brands. You just have to time it right and buy enough stuff in each order to minimize shipping costs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:37:20 AM by Independent George »
CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical; CZ-75 D PCR; CZ-83 Satin Nickel; CZ 2075 RAMI BD; Kadet 2

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »

If you're only shooting 50-100, stick with a 16" mid-length barrel. Extra length adds velocity, not accuracy; that's good for shooting longer distances because you get less bullet drop, but for a given thickness, a longer barrel is less rigid than a short one.

I got the Faxon Gunners barrel, which is both inexpensive and favorably reviewed from various sources. Also, I will admit that the 3 hours of QA time they did with Ian & Karl on InRangeTV sold me on the company. Faxon has 10% off sales from time to time, though I got mine on sale from Brownells for $137 (which comes out to about 21% off).

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:48:55 PM by Independent George »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
Will definitely give that a watch. I am leaning towards Faxon because of Aerospace here!

Offline The Conservative

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
I have 1 Faxon barrel so this is only a sample of 1, but usually if someone produces a lemon I end up with it.  I have their 14.5? mid-length with the pencil profile and standard 5.56 chamber on a lightweight build.  I tried to get the point of impact to shift or walk and was unable to do so by doing 2 mag dumps (don't normally do mag dumps).  I could see no sign of of any shift.  I have to say that for the price I was impressed, and will buy from Faxon again.  Not up on the 3 gun scene so I can't recommend anything for that specifically other than to go to some matches and talk to the competitors.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rogers

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 12:25:16 AM »
I have 1 Faxon barrel so this is only a sample of 1, but usually if someone produces a lemon I end up with it.  I have their 14.5? mid-length with the pencil profile and standard 5.56 chamber on a lightweight build.  I tried to get the point of impact to shift or walk and was unable to do so by doing 2 mag dumps (don't normally do mag dumps).  I could see no sign of of any shift.  I have to say that for the price I was impressed, and will buy from Faxon again.  Not up on the 3 gun scene so I can't recommend anything for that specifically other than to go to some matches and talk to the competitors.

After listening to those Faxon interviews, I believe I will be going for a pencil barrel as well. The guy really knows his stuff, and all of his explanations make complete sense.

Offline glg20

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
Great time to get into building AR's. Parts are plentiful and at great prices. Research as much as possible. Many great combinations out there.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »
Great time to get into building AR's. Parts are plentiful and at great prices. Research as much as possible. Many great combinations out there.
Yup! I have my eye on this kit from PSA.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-nitride-15-m-lok-upper-w-out-bcg-or-ch-77932967.html

260 for barrel, receiver, rail seems pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, I keep coming across handguard reviews on Youtube, and I want every single one hah. I think I might need to start an Excel document soon.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
I think we've all been through this. It's even worse on your first build, because you feel like you need to get everything exactly right, otherwise the rifle is ruined. Just ruined. FOREVER!

The single best thing for you to do is:

1. Be patient. Just because you miss one sale doesn't mean you're doomed to overpay - in fact, it's quite the opposite. I've noticed that things that go on sale once tend to go on sale again in three months. It's the things that are seemingly never o  sale that you want to jump on.

2. Realisitcally figure out what you want your rifle for, and how it will be used. You've said earlier that you'll mostly be shooting 50-100 yards (which is what most people do). If so, then you really don't need an 18" barrel. 16" will do just find, and save you some weight. If, however, you have someplace near you that you lets you shoot to 500 yards, then go for the 18". Shooting long range is fun (especially steel!), and you'll get addicted even if you think it's beyond your capabilities now.

ETA: for the record, I have an SLR Helix handguard. I can't review it because I haven't completed my rifle yet, but the thing is crazy light, has a solid and rigid attachment, and is thin and comfortable to hold in a C-grip.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:46:42 AM by Independent George »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »
Oh yea.. I've seen the SLR grips. They look so sweet!

I've also been looking at Midwest Industries since they have a smaller diameter, and I have smaller hands. Tooooo many choices!!!

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
Oh, and the build video that I like is done by Larry P. himself from Midway USA. It is on their website and on youtube.
So, after watching Larry's videos I decided to bite the bullet and picked up an Anderson stripped lower. I plan to order a lower build kit from PSA later today. As for the upper, I haven't decided if I want to go with a complete pre-built upper or do it all from scratch. The latter will cost me more, but I'll get exactly what I want without having to waste parts via later upgrades.

With all that said, one thing I don't like about the Midway USA videos is that they're also trying to sell tools. I know the right tool makes the job a lot easier, but my question is this: What build tools are "really" required versus "nice to have?" I would think that roll pin and roll pin starter punches are a must. And a torque wrench, too (which I have). And I have lots of other tools, too. But as for the specialty tools what's really important?
CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready | CZ P-09 Kadet Kit | CZ 75 Compact w/Rail (i.e., compact SP-01) | CZ 550
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
I've assembled many lowers either at my kitchen table or my office desk with no special tools besides a set punches.

One thing that does make installing takedown/pivot pin detents easier is a clevis pin. Which can easily be picked up at HD or Lowes for under $2