Poll

Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2..?

Standard SP-01 and save a few bucks.
9 (32.1%)
Shadow 2
13 (46.4%)
Just keep what I have and buy more ammo.
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2...?  (Read 14101 times)

Offline Rmach

Re: Standard SP-01 or Shadow 2...?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »
Ok, shot both the SP-01 Shadow Target and the Shadow 2. My S1 is from Oak hill guns so I don't know exactly who did the 'extra' work on the fire control group but it is way better than the factory fresh S2. Able to put 5 shots in the A box in the head of a USPSA target with both. The S2 is a lot heavier which definitely creates a different feel during target transitions. I have full grip tape on the S1 so the S2 felt a tad bit slippery and of course the S2 grip is not of a handful. I'm on the fence about keeping it but I may give it a chance.

Thanks for the follow up.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
Just a thought:
Back when the 9mm Competition Black 75 Shadow was fairly new-3-4 yrs ago,  I paid around $1300 + some for the HAJO adj. sights.  I still added some mods to get the trigger pull I wanted.  It's a very fine pistol now and used at the range and matches.  My son has the CZC SPO1 Shadow only lightly worked.  It's still a good shooter.  "We" paid less for his but added the Comp. Hammer and springs.

Considering these,  I see the S2 as at a very reasonable price.  The FRAME and BBL changes really feel better to me.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Stock Shadow-2 vs Stock SP-01 is a no-brainer. Shadow-2 wins as it already ~95% where you finally want gun to be. Both can be made to 100%, but with Shadow-2 at higher total cost.
If you can find one of the "stock" SP-01 Shadow Target models (not shadow target 2) that might be a better deal price wise. If you pay $1250 for the S2 and an additional $225-$? To get it hopped up, you're looking at at least $1475 before shipping (and labor?) to and from your custom shop of choice. I've been seeing the SP-01 Shadow Target (already customized triggers, LPA rear sights,etc) models for around $1400. Even though they are "old tech" the SP-01 Shadow target models are still really fine kit. Your results may vary.

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
Just a thought:
Back when the 9mm Competition Black 75 Shadow was fairly new-3-4 yrs ago,  I paid around $1300 + some for the HAJO adj. sights.  I still added some mods to get the trigger pull I wanted.  It's a very fine pistol now and used at the range and matches.  My son has the CZC SPO1 Shadow only lightly worked.  It's still a good shooter.  "We" paid less for his but added the Comp. Hammer and springs.

Considering these,  I see the S2 as at a very reasonable price.  The FRAME and BBL changes really feel better to me.
This is what I try to get people to understand. Yes, you can make a Gen 1 Shadow trigger feel as nice as a Shadow 2 - but no money thrown at upgrades is going to get you the upgraded frame/grip, longer bbl/sight radius and upgraded serrations. (I guess the serrations is a matter of opinion, but I find the Shadow 2 serrations to be better.) And all that easily makes the added price worth it to me.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
I thought about this topic a little more today and after shooting them side by side, they are really different guns. Yes they are stamped "CZ" and "Shadow" but with the considerably larger grip and considerable weight difference, they are truly different feeling firearms in my opinion.

If a shooter has smallish hands, the SP-01 Shadow would be the way to go. If one has to transition a lot of targets, the S2 has quite a bit more weight to push around. The extra weight does help with the recoil but only slightly in my opinion.

If you don't already have a hopped up Shadow that you are proficient with, the S2 is definitely a great starting point. I just don't know if I'd rush out and buy the S2 if I had it to do over again. Still both are fine pistols. Just very different.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:48 PM »
I found differently with the S2.  The one I got to fondle gripped better,  much better for my shortened strong hand trigger finger and smallish hands.  I could reach the stock S2 trigger in DA better than my 75 Shadow.
It is noticeably heavier,  and might to take some getting used to for fast target transitions
  This is why I jumped on the 75 Shadow: no Rail and a little less weight up front.
For me the frame changes helped my grip more than the extra weight might slow me down for a while.
There have been a number of new Shadow variations,  buy none of them mattered until the S2....maybe. :)
Everyone is different.
Get what works for you. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:01:13 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Rmach

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 11:06:44 PM »
The decision was taken care of tonight.  I won a Gunbroker auction for a new 2017 SP-01 with a safety. Total cost delivered to my FFL is $570. That leaves me plenty of room for upgrades if needed. Thanks for the responses.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:08:28 PM by Rmach »

Offline Rmach

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
 I picked it up from the FFL yesterday and hit the indoor range today. Ran 100rds of Geco, 100 WWB and 100 Freediom Munitions with no hiccups. Slow fire two hand hold from 10 and 12yds. This SP-01 had a factory test target date of 6-29-2017. It sure doesn't take them long to get them over here for sale.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Nice shooting, the SPO1 is a great pistol.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Rmach

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
Just another indoor range session with the standard SP-01. Ran 300rds through it today. A fine handgun for under $600.

Offline kylecolb

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:46 AM »
I asked myself the same question. I ordered an SP01 today and will be sending it in for the CGW. Heard it runs really nice then, better than a shadow and still comes in under shadow's price

anything