Author Topic: Bitten by the Bren bug...  (Read 717 times)

Offline czfan12

Bitten by the Bren bug...
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
I've had my eye on a Tavor, most likely the X95 version, for a while now (I have a thing for bullpups).  But the Bren carbine is beginning to pull my attention away from a Tavor (I love me some CZs).  I'm not likely to end up with both, so I've got to reconcile my affection for bullpups with my affection for CZs.  Decisions, decisions.

Anybody here own both?  If so, what do you like/dislike about each?

Offline Border Dave

Re: Bitten by the Bren bug...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
I don't have a Bren, but I do have a Tavor SAR.  I like it even better than my suppressed Scorpion SBR.

The Tavor is very well balanced and only slightly over 26 inches long with a 16.5 inch barrel.  If I were you, I'd try to find someone close to you who has those rifles and would let you try them out before you shell out that kind of cash.

Offline TonyB

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:10:25 PM »
I'm a bullpup guy too, I bought one of the original TAVOR's which I only kept about 3 months ... It left such a bad taste I have yet to buy the X95 but I may at some point. I just couldn't get over having to buy a $350 trigger "to make it shootable", a $150 sight rail or put goofy looking raisers on it in order to add optic's; then another $100 or so to replace the handguard so you  could put a front grip on it ... $600 of upgrages on a $1,700+ gun, just to make it user friendly ... And the QD barrel wasn't all that QD ... I was originally sold on the reviews by others, many said it was better than an AUG, but IMHO, it wasn't.

I've had several AUG's over the last 20 years but I haven't bothered with the A3 as I currently own one of the original 62 green A2's, a 16", 20" and 24" barrel and about all the accessories as well as the NATO stock that accepts NATO (AR) mags, and I love it;

I've had several M17S's which my last one was customized by K&M with his trigger-job,  removed the goofy carry-handle/scope mount/charge handle & slots for improved cooling and cut down to 16.5" IIRC, it may have been a little longer as the overall length was still legal, after all that it was much better but the AUG was still head and shoulders above it.

I've had a couple AK variant bullpups, the Valmet M82 which was nice but the stock seemed fragile (at that time I was more of a shooter than a collector), a Norinco something(it was 25+ years ago), and a couple of the AKU94S which was a kit put on a standard 16" AK ... While it was the most comfortable the trigger was the worst ... A couple people came up with a "fix" but it seemed like a bubba thing.

Last that I can think of right now, a FN PS90 which would have been ok if it shot 22mag ammo or been available in F/A to the public, while the 5.7 ammo was "controllable" IMHO too anemic as a semi ... in full-auto it's a fun round (I've put my AR57 on my M16 lower).

There are several bullpups I didn't like/buy like the FN FS2000, or those goofy SKS conversions but overall, I'll give most any bullpup a chance.

I've had an Bren 805 for a couple years, SBR'd and recently added the retro (correct) magwell, I like it but for a 223/SBR its heavy ... It's been completely reliable and has a decent trigger, comes with nice iron sights and plenty of rail space to mount optic's, lights, lasers and other stuff in you're into that sort of thing that makes an already heavy rifle even heavier. I just wish it had a 7.62x39 conversion.

BTW ... I'm old and have a wife that lets me endulge in old car & firearms pleasures ... they are the only vice's I've got as I don't drink, smoke or chase wimmins (but I still like to look  ::))

Offline czfan12

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
Border Dave and TonyB - thanks for the info.  Both of you have given me good info and some things to think about.  And TonyB gave me a good laugh!  Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you, though I do enjoy a wee nip from time to time!   :D

On a side note, someone in my neck of the woods is selling a new Bren carbine for $700.  While I'd love to jump on that, at that price I'm concerned that it might be a little warm to the touch...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:49:10 PM by czfan12 »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »
$700? Hmm.... :o
Tony, I handled the M17S way back in the day, and I liked it, stock, but never fired one.

Offline czfan12

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
I've got an M17S as well, modified similar to what TonyB described.  My mods were done by the late Kurt Wala (Kurt's Kustom Firearms).  I also added the trigger lightening kit and a buttpad from K&M. 

Offline TonyB

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
$700? Hmm.... :o
Tony, I handled the M17S way back in the day, and I liked it, stock, but never fired one.
The stock trigger is bad, but not horrible; there was an upgrade the trigger with K&M but I don't see it offered now.

To date, the M17S is the only one of my Bushys I've sold; a buddy wanted it and I was raising $$$ a few to fund a JP Enterprise 6.5 Creedmoor build I was doing on a Spikes Jack 308 receiver

I can't find a picture of it alone as I've moved my pictures from Photobucket to Postimage.org ... I didn't feel Photobucket's  $400 fee for 500gb of space was fair when I'm only using about 2.5gb ... I'm not opposed to paying for their service (and I did pay about $30/year for ad-free) but their new pricing structure is obscene! Anyway my M17S is on the right side in this family picture ...

Not to hi-jack this thread, but K&M bought the rights to the M17S and have remodeled it to what looks to be a pretty amazing bullpup ... I may have to get one ... in 300BO!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:48:24 PM by TonyB »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:16:58 AM »
...you have an original Bushmaster pistol... :o :o :o :o 8)

OK, going very sideways from the OP here, sorry.  8) Get the BREN.  ;D

anything