Author Topic: What is your favorite DW & why?  (Read 10140 times)

Offline rudals1281

Re: What is your favorite DW & why?
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2019, 08:59:18 AM »
Valor. My first gun and it turned me into a guns-a-holic. Love shooting that .45 acp

Offline deserttrans

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
I have one of the old revolver packs with four barrels. Model 15 and used to shoot silhouettes with it years ago.

Offline Arko

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »
My DW favorites are the Valor and the Silverback.  My Valor is in 45 and the SB is 10mm. Why? Well my Valor is a 2016 vintage and that gun is as fine an example of a 1911 as my Les Baer is, and possibly better. I know I've read here about a bunch of issues people are having with DWs but mine both have literally been flawless. My Valor currently is creeping up on 3k rounds and besides 2 failures to go fully into battery during the first 50 rounds has given me no problems, at all since. The machining is impeccable, the finish tough, the trigger IS better than my Baer, the slide to frame fit is perfect. Someone really knew what they were doing and took their time doing it. Even the ffl who received the gun for me could not stop commenting on how nice it was, the trigger in particular. Even after 2900+ rounds the fit between the frame and slide is like Gibralter. Mine did shoot too low when I got it but Keith told me that DW would change it for me free of charge. They offer a one time replacement of the front sight free to anyone who feels that they need it. It's now a 45 caliber hammer with Federals HST round.
The Silverback likewise has been perfect. It's a 2019 model. The Silverbacks are(were) fitted with the same level of care and expertise as the flagship Valor. Again the machining, finish and trigger as well as the slide/frame fit are simply outstanding. I'll confess to not liking the look of the Silverback trigger but function and fit are again outstanding. It is just a superb firearm. Both guns, but particularly the SB, have a very rich feature set. I remember back in the 80s all the custom work guys, me included, would have done to just about any 1911 they acquired, DW gave it all from the factory. The SB in particular has alot of "custom" features and are well worth their asking prices, which are, I'll admit, getting too high lately. And I'm saddened by the direction they're going with their 1911s. I for one greatly appreciated the subtle and subdued, uncluttered beauty of the DWs of only just a few years ago. No big gawdy logos, not a bunch of script everywhere and no pictographs anywhere. There are a sad few that I would buy now, theyre taking a bad turn in my opinion, and I know, everyone's tastes differ and that's fine. These are just mine. Oh, how could I forget the checkering? Both the front strap and the steel mainspring housing are expertly done, albeit by machine I suspect, with 25lpi checkering which is my much preferred lpi. It really locks that gun in your hand without removing skin.
  As you can probably surmise, I am a DW fan and hope they dont continue to stay too far from what I and many, many others think has made them one of the best values in 1911s on the market today that really blur the line between custom and production guns, many people call them semi-custom and I'd agree and probably lean a little more to the custom.
Kimber? Fugettaboutit. Maybe 25 years ago. I'm still kicking my own ass for not getting a blued Valor. Should have know they wouldn't last long.