Author Topic: Anyone here have a M&P pistol?  (Read 4893 times)

Offline jammr

Re: Anyone here have a M&P pistol?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
Yes, I have an M&P compact 9mm. Great shooter and is my current EDC.  Zero issues with HP carry ammo.   I had minor issue with the rear sight screw when I got it.  S&W fixed that pronto.   I really prefer this over the Shield as its recoil is much kinder to the shooter and got more capacity in only a very slightly larger package.   The price on these is fantastic now compared to what I paid several years ago.
"I came here to die with you. Or to live with you."
-- Josey Wales

Ron M.

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »
I have an M&P Pro Series CORE full size with a Burris Fast Fire 3 installed. When I get to shoot it I'm fairly happy with it, the biggest dislike is my wife won't give it back. The trigger was OK at best, but I dropped in an Apex Acton Enhancement kit, really improved the trigger. Accuracy is good, and the pistol is easy to maintain. My pistol seems to do best with any good quality 147gr FMJ ammo for target shooting and the most accurate defense ammo so far is Fiocchi 147gr JHP.

Offline omg

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
It's no cz but it gets the job done.

Offline krehmkej

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
My M&P is a compact in 357 Sig.
A police trade-in from Summit Gunbroker.
Must have been the chief's gun.
Absolutely NIB.

Night sights were dim, so I recently changed to the new M&P adjustables from Novak.
Fun to shoot. It's quite accurate with my favorite load.
-jwk-

Offline slikshoes

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 11:59:33 AM »
I've been considering an M&P Pro for IDPA/USPSA myself.  From my experience, the M&P pistols have shot better for me than the similar offerings of Springfileld, Glock and Sig counterparts.  I love the Walther PPQs, but I just cant seem to re-align the sites as quickly as w/ the M&Ps.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Three years ago, I purchased a new M&P 9 full-size.  I was never satisfied with the accuracy, so I sold it.

That echoes my experiences with both an M&P9 FS and an M&P9C... My stepdad's M&P9C from several years earlier was a much better gun. The Shields and the new M&P 2.0 look to be much better also.

These days if I was looking for a striker fired gun, though, it would be a P-10C or a Beretta APX.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Linejudgemick

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
I have an original version M&P FS and a compact in 40 S&W. I also have OEM 9mm barrels and magazines for both. They are equally reliable and accurate shooting either caliber. Nothing fits my hand like the M&Ps and I love shooting them in any configuration. They play very nicely with my "left-handedness". Out of my collection, they rank right up there as trusted favorite striker-fired pistols.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:42:59 PM by Linejudgemick »
CZ 75 P-01 Omega & P-07

Offline rjeffery14

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
I've only messed with them in stores but I hate everything about them, the grip feels weird, the trigger is mushy as hell and the controls are too flat to the frame

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
I have both a FS9 & compact 9. I enjoy them both- never had a problem with them & have shot them in competion.

I do prefer my CZs, P01 and 09. That said, I like the ergonomics of the M&P ( much more than glocks), never had any malfunctions and never had the accuracy issues reported by some.

My FS does have Apex sear, but my compact is stock.

As retired military, they also came as a good deal for me- well under 400 ea mil/LEO pricing then added the rebates. 
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Vernonion

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 12:31:13 AM »
Sheild Performance Center with talon grip. Over 700 flawless rounds so far and it's getting more accurate the more it is shot ;).

Offline vaglocker

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »
Had a compact for a while,  grew to dislike the trigger too much

Offline dshoub

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
I briefly owned the full size M&P 9 M2.0, it was accurate and easy to field strip/clean, however the small and medium back straps were't a great fit (they felt loose, though I don't think they would have fallen off), but my biggest complaint about it, and why I sold it after a single range session was that the skateboard tape-like grip on the M2.0 rubbed the web of my hand raw.

I also owned the M&P Shield 9mm for about 6 months, and that was also quite accurate for the size, and functioned well. But I ultimately decided to sell that as well, it was just a bit too big for me as an IWB carry because comfort is very important for my CC choice or I won't even bother, and it was too heavy as well (even with a good gun belt it bounced when I walked). So, I sold it and bought a Sig P238.

So, my opinion is the M&P line of guns are accurate, easy to maintain, and relatively inexpensive. However they aren't for everyone.

Offline Vernonion

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
I've only messed with them in stores but I hate everything about them, the grip feels weird, the trigger is mushy as hell and the controls are too flat to the frame
That hardly makes an expert opinion.
I do agree, but for the most part I find these traits rather desirable in a CC weapon. Sheild single stack with Talon grips and Pearce Mag plate feels just right.
Controls add to concealibility and speed of presentation.
The trigger feels like a combat safe trigger, but mine is a Performance Center version. The apex kits are phenomenal but I hesitate to do more than polish my internals.
Accuracy is excellent for a short barrel.

Offline tommytwoguns

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
Not sure as it counts as an M&P but I have been very happy with my S&W 380 Bodyguard.  Keep in mind I use it not only as a CC but keep it under the pillow on my bunk when I am on my 42 foot sailing catamaran and like the 380 because it will probably not pass through bad guys and damage the hull.  I do have 3 M&Ps in SW40.  No question they don't match up to CZs in almost every aspect except for grip geometry.  I can't stand the way I have to change the way I have to hold a Glock compared to 1911 style guns.

Let's also keep in mind even with a CZ lots of folks upgrade triggers, hammers, and internal springs as well as barrels; so it should come as no shock that guys with guns made by other brands do the same thing.  The biggest issue I hade with M&Ps was the funky way you were suppose pull the slide back to stick a screwdriver inside and move a little pin to field strip it; but there was a work around.  I do have to say once I got my TS Sport and TS Orange I don't really shoot my S&Ws much, but since I am kinda gun junky I doubt I will sell them.

Bottom line is this seems like a horses for course question for me.  CZs clearly are better weapons in many ways.  But if I was on my boat (cruising in moist salt water environs) and was needed to dump a gun over the side it would be a lot more painful to do it with a CZ.  And there are probably other situations where a throw away gun would be an advantage.

Offline steerclr

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
My brother has 2.  Put Apex trigger kits in both of them.  We liked the lighter weight kit not the Duty or Carry kit which has a stronger trigger pull.  Still either Apex kit is better that better than stock.  Good buy for the money and plenty of on line tech support and parts for them available.