Author Topic: Scorpion EVO firing pin block defeated  (Read 21684 times)

Offline st381183

Re: Scorpion EVO firing pin block defeated
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
A third or fourth hand story is not proof of anything and just because someone told a story in a forum doesn't mean the story is true or even an accurate account of events.

John A said he had problems with the Freedom cases himself.  That's first hand.  Granted it's the internet, but in any of our discussions he has never struck me as a whiner baby or a fool.  My personal experience was without issue, but if you do any reading on Freedom now, it's all horrible horrible stuff.  Which is why I was wondering if there was a time period in which things changed, as I haven't bought anything from them in years, but I'm still sitting on 800-1000 rounds of it. 

I understand your underlying point.  But Freedom is a known quantity at this point.  A little research recently turned that up for me and had me looking in a different direction for heavy 9mm. 

I'm not suggesting anyone is whining and the Freedom Munitions issues I find are from 3-4 years ago. There are plenty of online reviewers I watch and trust that are sponsored by Freedom that have not reported issues and I believe that they would. I have shot several thousand rounds of Freedom 147gr 9mm without issue.

One of the problems with the internet is that people are more likely to post a negative experience rather than a positive experience. A handful of complaints regarding the Ammo from years ago does not equate to poor performing Ammo in an overall sense. If the EVO is going to fire OOB then it will fire OOB with any Ammo it is fed regardless of manufacturer.  If Freedom was a truly terrible ammo manufacturer I would not have to search for issues, they would be out of business. 

They may very well of had issues when they first started up but with time and experience the QC has seemed to improve. There may still be an issue here or there, I can only say I have had nothing but a positive experience with Freedom 9mm stuff.  I don't use their other calibers because I can source .223 and 45 cheaper.

I know that an Ammo supplier to our area had problems with Blazer 9mm failing to feed and jamming due to the copper plating being out of spec on the thick side. 40,000 rounds were replaced. So anyone can have a bad day.

The original issue of OOB discharges though seems to be quickly getting lost with all my BS talk.  Like I said, I don't think OOB discharges or out of spec Ammo is that wide spread of a problem considering how many millions upon millions of rounds fired by shooters all over the world.  Some shooters have experienced failures of OOB discharges or Ammo failures but none that I know firsthand. The only Ammo failures I know of firsthand are from hand loaders that accidentally had a double charge or squib.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:25:10 PM by st381183 »

Offline wyoung

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
After a remanufacturer gave me this

And Winchester gave me this

I load my own painstakingly, one at a time.

Offline st381183

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
The theme I am noticing in the threads regarding Ammoland/IMT cases that Freedom Munitions uses is not to reload them due to reduced case volume and loading tables don't account for the diminished volume. I'm not a reloader and only purchase new manufactured rounds so I really am not in a position to discuss the merits of FM Ammo as a reloadable case. As new manufactured Ammo goes it has done well by me.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:21 AM »
When I looked around, the cancelled orders, bad batches, and nightmares are current.  Not old.  FYI. 

Sponsored = free. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:33:25 AM by Asmodeus »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:09 AM »
My Scorpion is one of the first ones brought in to the US, has the Made By Luago stamp and the original FA FCG parts, (Shooters Element was wishing I'd swapped trigger groups with him for the parts), and I have no experienced any OOB firing with thousands of factory and hand loaded ammo through it so far. It doesn't mean that the firearm won't ever fail - all things made by man can and will fail eventually, but I have confidence borne by those same thousands of rounds that I don't think that will happen any time soon.
As for the Freedom Munitions stuff, I found some of it in my collected brass, and I pitched it, same as I pitch AMERC and that one I can't remember off the top of my head, the cheap Walmart brand with off center flash holes. I don't believe I have ever fired any of their ammo, so am 100% unqualified to say what the QC is like, but the members saying everyone has bad days is very true. I had a box of Wolf 7.62x39mm that had duds every third round, had CCI Blazer ammo with sideways primers, (two in one box of 50 once), and had a Winchester primer pop loose a perfect cirle out the back which succeeded being the only round to ever jam up my vz-58.
I also prefer to "roll my own" and I do my absolute best to keep eyes on every single aspect of loading for my own QC. I've pitched brass that my gunsmith buddy said was perfectly fie, but if it gives me the hinkys...well, I'd rather lose a single round of ammo than a gun I will be very hard pressed to be able to afford to replace.

Offline moose97

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
Hold on - are "all these recent cases" of OOB discharge this ONE FREEKIN GUN? Where are the others?

Offline Buckshot Barry

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »
Sorry, haven't read every post on this thread.

I have been at a match with a shooter firing 9mm Freedom ammo with new Freedom brass. Case separation. I even have one of their rounds where we pulled the bullet. The case has a 2 step ledge halfway down and that was the separation point. Not the best photo, but here is the unfired Freedom case

Offline wyoung

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »

I have been at a match with a shooter firing 9mm Freedom ammo with new Freedom brass. Case separation. I even have one of their rounds where we pulled the bullet. The case has a 2 step ledge halfway down and that was the separation point. Not the best photo, but here is the unfired Freedom case

That's not a defect.
It's a feature!
When the stepped case separates it launches the bullet 100fps faster. Lol
Couldn't resist.

That's scary, though.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 11:07:41 PM »
The problem is that reloaders have to double check everything when sorting brass due to this junk.  >:( Normal 9mm brass will be lost before I wear it out - I have some cases where the head stamps are hard to read anymore from being fired so many times...but this garbage is instant trash. Brass goes in the recycle bag, the others into the trash can.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:36 PM »
The problem is that reloaders have to double check everything when sorting brass due to this junk.  >:( Normal 9mm brass will be lost before I wear it out - I have some cases where the head stamps are hard to read anymore from being fired so many times...but this garbage is instant trash. Brass goes in the recycle bag, the others into the trash can.

military brass... nuff' said :) . magtech, speer, junk

WCC "western cartridge" Dated, Win Dated,  F.C Dated all g2g for atleast 10x loads

my wcc 1996-1999 brass "friend gave me 2000 1x" takes .2 grains less than winchester commercial brass and comes out the same speeds and groups.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:40:12 PM by SouthernScorp »
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 11:42:09 PM »

That's not a defect.
It's a feature!
When the stepped case separates it launches the bullet 100fps faster. Lol
Couldn't resist.

That's scary, though.

wth is that ledge far? to prevent bullet set-back ? more of a worry with glocks + .40s&w than with 9mm.

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Buckshot Barry

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 12:12:31 AM »
Photo from the web of where the separation occurs.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:15:58 AM by Buckshot Barry »

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 01:24:06 AM »
looks like they increase volume at the bottom half so they can get away with saving $0.01 per round in gun powder.

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 01:47:40 AM »
Look at the dots on the half case sitting upright - almost like it was perforated.

Offline d-tronics

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
I know, this is an old thread but notice today I can press my firing pin all the way to the point it's protruding out the breech face without depressing the safety block. I emailed cz about it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk